$90k

Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:46 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: $90k

Originally Posted by iaink
You dont think that recruitment companies would "big it up", just to make you more likely to sign on with them, do you?!!! :scared: :scared:
I was in the UK at the time ... its one of the reasons I have so little faith in in immigration & recruitment "consultants".

The guys I spoke to from the UK wouldn't even meet me face to face after I landed in Canada

Now that I'm on the other side of the fence and get to see how recruitment works, I can see that recruitment consultancies have very little power when it comes to getting you a job or setting what you get paid ... that's all in the hands of the employers.

Recruitment people are all mouth & trousers

Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:54 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
It's all down to lifestyles and expectations and it's one that I can't answer for you.
Cheers Glas

I hope I'm not in Walmart in 20 years, I'll only be 45!

I know it's a bit of a vague question, but I am trying to decide if this quality of life improvement is real or mythical. If I'm earning 50% what I do now, and the prices of the items I buy most often (not cars or holidays) are 2/3rds of the UK then my quality of life won't be as good. As you say views of mountains don't pay bills!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirTainly
Cheers Glas

I hope I'm not in Walmart in 20 years, I'll only be 45!

I know it's a bit of a vague question, but I am trying to decide if this quality of life improvement is real or mythical. If I'm earning 50% what I do now, and the prices of the items I buy most often (not cars or holidays) are 2/3rds of the UK then my quality of life won't be as good. As you say views of mountains don't pay bills!
For me the quality of life is not about what I can buy, its about having some breathing space around me, not spending half my life in traffic, not worrying about petty crime. I find it all a lot less stressful here, and there is no $ value I can put on that. But I would find it a lot more stressful if i couldnt pay the bills, so that is a consideration.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:04 pm
Glaswegian

As you say views of mountains don't pay bills!
We also eat different food in Canada ... a lot of kids food still has tartrazine in it, so we cook and bake almost everything ourselves ... as discussed previously, we're also dairy free in Canada ... soy milk is way more expensive than cows milk. It's all down to lifestyle and that can change a lot when you get here

Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:11 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

For me the quality of life is not about what I can buy, its about having some breathing space around me, not spending half my life in traffic, not worrying about petty crime. I find it all a lot less stressful here, and there is no $ value I can put on that. But I would find it a lot more stressful if i couldnt pay the bills, so that is a consideration.
Iain, I'm not just thinking of what I can buy per se, but even going out for a meal, to see a movie etc costs, and of course the frequency you can do these things depends on how much you have in the kitty. Also for me having space and time to enjoy my hobbies would be an improvement to my quality of life, but like most activities and interests, they require money. If I had gain time and space but couldn't afford to pursue my interests, I'd have achieved nothing.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:20 pm
Glaswegian

Iain, I'm not just thinking of what I can buy per se, but even going out for a meal, to see a movie etc costs, and of course the frequency you can do these things depends on how much you have in the kitty.
Movies are $12/head
A meal out for a family of four is around $50-$60 at a regular family restaurant (ie.Red Lobster, not McD's).
Space is nice, but you can't do that much with it if it's -40C outside

Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:24 pm
The Green Engine

Movies are $12/head
A meal out for a family of four is around $50-$60 at a regular family restaurant (ie.Red Lobster, not McD's).
Space is nice, but you can't do that much with it if it's -40C outside
Which is ok if your hobbies are indoor and simply require an unfinished basement
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

AlexMcC is an unknown quantity at this point

You're offered $90K + 5% to 10% bonus.

Do you say yes or try to bargain for more?
Seems to me this is a great salary for Calgary. In all my other research salaries seem lower than UK (SE England excepted) - but 90K is very respectable (=£40K). Is that a typical salary there?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:11 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by AlexMcC
Seems to me this is a great salary for Calgary. In all my other research salaries seem lower than UK (SE England excepted) - but 90K is very respectable (=£40K). Is that a typical salary there?
Nope ... it's pretty high for Calgary ... that's why I'm wondering if I should push for me or just say thank you Mr Gifthorse ....

Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Nope ... it's pretty high for Calgary ... that's why I'm wondering if I should push for me or just say thank you Mr Gifthorse ....
Dont know if it helps determine your worth,, but one of my wifes friends (a canadian) is getting $100k+ as a (long time) manager in a TO software company.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:51 pm
The Green Engine

Originally Posted by AlexMcC
but 40K is 90K only by exchange rate...
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:55 pm
Glaswegian

Dont know if it helps determine your worth,, but one of my wifes friends (a canadian) is getting $100k+ as a (long time) manager in a TO software company.
I know there are people here on $100K+ ... a lot of it comes down to patronage and time serving ... if the company (or more accurately your boss) likes you they reward you ... if they don't, you have to move to get more money or continue to languish where you are now.

There are too many BMW's around Calgary for everyone to be on $40K

Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:04 pm
The Green Engine

There are too many BMW's around Calgary for everyone to be on $40K
but after seeing the large number of wrecks being driven around Calgary as well...
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:08 pm
Glaswegian

but after seeing the large number of wrecks being driven around Calgary as well...
Ooooh yeah ... not MOT here, only a safety check if you're selling a vehicle over ten years old.

Duct tape is a perfectly valid alternative to filler in Calgary

Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:16 pm
The Green Engine

Ooooh yeah ... not MOT here, only a safety check if you're selling a vehicle over ten years old.

Duct tape is a perfectly valid alternative to filler in Calgary
can you get something like an independent check (like the AA do here) before you buy a car ?

Some of those were way passed the duct tape stage..one had no rear bumper or trim, and the metal was about a foot further forward than the maker intended

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.