Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is $1800/year quote for auto insurance good or bad?

Wikiposts

Old May 23rd 2005, 1:07 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is $1800/year quote for auto insurance good or bad?

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Murano nice motor not the sort of thing I usually go for but these look very smart saw a white one with the chrome grill and leather now that was tasty good engine as well although a little pricey so may have to wait.
:scared: bling bling mobile
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, you can get such insurance. I have it on the Healey. I don't think they'd be interested in covering the Murano though, that's hardly "classic".

Healey as well now your making me jealous have just had to sell my VX220 and will definitely want a new toy in the next couple years if I can muster up the money what sort of cost is your insurance on the Healey if you don’t mind me asking, and what age do they start classic insurance is it 20 years as here in the UK.
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Healey as well now your making me jealous have just had to sell my VX220 and will definitely want a new toy in the next couple years if I can muster up the money what sort of cost is your insurance on the Healey if you don’t mind me asking, and what age do they start classic insurance is it 20 years as here in the UK.
I believe it's fifteen years here, cars that old are exempt from most regulations (Morgans have to be that old or rebuilt with a different chasis) so it's a semi-official threshold. Agreed value insurance ($35,000) runs about $300/yr. It's a nice earner for the insurance companies as few people drive interesting cars in the winter or even the spring. This weekend there was a rash of TRs, MGBs and the like out around here for the first time this year.

I only have the car, btw, because as a corporation (of 1 but still a corporation) I can have the taxman fund the Fords. As an employee I'd be riding on the bus.
Old May 30th 2005, 8:28 am
Canadian considering UK.

Canadian Kate is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband came here (to Canada) in 1999 and although he has a clean driving record and we are the same age, his insurance is TWICE what mine is, regardless of make/model/year of car.

I spoke with our insurance broker and she says that because he is from out of country, his insurable driving ''reputation'' starts from the day he landed in Canada. So he is considered to be a higher risk driver with only five years experience (despite his many years of accident-free driving in the U.K.).

Or maybe they have seen him accidentally pull onto the wrong side of the road on occassion!

Good luck!

Last edited by Canadian Kate; May 30th 2005 at 8:36 am.
Old May 30th 2005, 8:34 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadian Kate
My husband came here (to Canada) in 1999 and although he has a clean driving record and we are the same age, his insurance is TWICE what mine is, regardless of make/model/year of car.

I spoke with our insurance broker and she says that because he is from out of country, his insurable driving ''reputation'' starts from the day he landed in Canada. So he is considered to be an inexperienced Canadian driver with only five years experience (despite his many years of accident-free driving in the U.K.).

Or maybe they have seen him accidentally pull onto the wrong side of the road on occassion!

Good luck!
I would say talk to a few other brokers as he is being ripped off. Many insurers out there will (eventually) take some, if not all of a UK driving record into account if you shop around and make your displeasure known to them.

If they think they are going to lose a customer and the potential for home and life insurance premiums in addition to motor insurance, it tends to focus their attention sometimes.
Old May 30th 2005, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

I think its not that bad. I am paying almost 1200$ USD here in US and i have almost 4 years of US driving experience (no tickets, no crashes, no violations).
Hopefully i will get some discount for having a clean driving history in North America.