Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is $1800/year quote for auto insurance good or bad?

Wikiposts

Is $1800/year quote for auto insurance good or bad?

Old May 21st 2005, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

aahtuk is on a distinguished road
Default Is $1800/year quote for auto insurance good or bad?

I know this has been discussed before, but this time it is real for me. Is an auto insurance (one vehicle, basic stuff) quote of $1800 per year with no previous Canadian driving history - and basically being new to Canada (and insuring nothing else but this car) - a good amount? Should I go for it or is there hope for much less than that right off the bat? It's about $150 per month. What do you think?

And a second question to those of you who've been here 2-3 yrs. Does it get significantly cheaper after that time?

Thanks!

Old May 21st 2005, 5:24 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is $1800/year quote for auto insurance good or bad?

Originally Posted by aahtuk
I know this has been discussed before, but this time it is real for me. Is an auto insurance (one vehicle, basic stuff) quote of $1800 per year with no previous Canadian driving history - and basically being new to Canada (and insuring nothing else but this car) - a good amount? Should I go for it or is there hope for much less than that right off the bat? It's about $150 per month. What do you think?

And a second question to those of you who've been here 2-3 yrs. Does it get significantly cheaper after that time?

Thanks!

Sounds like the kinds of quotes we have been given....based on varied mix of types of vehicles, but thereabouts that price.

Rich.
Old May 21st 2005, 5:45 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Our maximum quote we had was about $1600 with the minimum being $1400 full comp. The lesser was for a People carrier type car, the higher for a 4x4.

The insurance was including no discounts so as the worst senario. We can show 6 years no claims, so will get a 30% discount on these prices. So i was quite happy compared to other quotes people have had. This covers anyone in the house that has been driving for more than 10 years. I think age where you live make a difference to quotes to.

Thanks!

Old May 21st 2005, 6:06 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by gooding
Our maximum quote we had was about $1600 with the minimum being $1400 full comp. The lesser was for a People carrier type car, the higher for a 4x4.

The insurance was including no discounts so as the worst senario. We can show 6 years no claims, so will get a 30% discount on these prices. So i was quite happy compared to other quotes people have had. This covers anyone in the house that has been driving for more than 10 years. I think age where you live make a difference to quotes to.
Good!! Good!! Good!! Go for it!!!
Old May 21st 2005, 7:51 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Not as good as our house insurance £250 for a year. It included everything including the plants getting damaged!!!!!! It was a new house, safe area, close to fire hydrant and fire station, and you could chuck the house in the sea from front garden!!

We are on a roll at the moment ( for the last year) and have not even moved there for good!
No scarey insurance quotes, lawyers fees, great builder, great real estate agent, great neighbours. Hope it lasts once we are there for good.

Originally Posted by Scouse
Good!! Good!! Good!! Go for it!!!
Old May 21st 2005, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

iphillip is an unknown quantity at this point

So I assume that your no claim bonus in UK makes no difference when applying for insurance in Canada. I have a friend that took letters from his insurance company detailing his no claims when he went to the States and they gave him full discount on his car insurance.
Old May 21st 2005, 10:00 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

We pay $1200 with ING, on a ford windstar (3.8L people carrier) and thats for 2 of us, so i would say shop around.
Old May 21st 2005, 10:52 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iphillip
So I assume that your no claim bonus in UK makes no difference when applying for insurance in Canada. I have a friend that took letters from his insurance company detailing his no claims when he went to the States and they gave him full discount on his car insurance.
Trawl back over this website for relevant info and example letters - your insurance evidence has to be right otherwise forget your standard UK insurance form as evidence, it won't pass the mark.

Rich.
Old May 22nd 2005, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Depends on what type of vehicle you have. SUV tends to be far more expensive to ensure than people carriers or cars.
We have just been quoted $2100 for a Nissan Murano SUV with 9 years (65% UK discount) taken into account.

Thanks!

Old May 22nd 2005, 12:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Hi,

Depends on what type of vehicle you have. SUV tends to be far more expensive to ensure than people carriers or cars.
We have just been quoted $2100 for a Nissan Murano SUV with 9 years (65% UK discount) taken into account.
I pay about $2,000/yr for a Ford Escape and about $2,000/yr for a Mustang, twenty years claim free driving in Canada. Last year we had a Vitara as well and that was about $2,000/yr. Insurance just costs about two grand around here, the vehicle doesn't much matter. There should, of course, be a unsightliness premium for the Murano and Pontiac Aztek.
Old May 22nd 2005, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

getoutquick is an unknown quantity at this point

We paid $2200/yr for 2003 fully loaded pick up & 2001 sp focus (the car was more expensive than the pick up!!) and we both had full ncb from england and they insured us before we had our ca driving license.
Old May 22nd 2005, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that Post Code is as important as the car. I was paying $4,500 for a Sunfire with ING and was quoted more - $4,600 for the second year even with no accidents during the first year, Econ quoted $4.200 so I'm going with them.
Old May 22nd 2005, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

aahtuk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
We pay $1200 with ING, on a ford windstar (3.8L people carrier) and thats for 2 of us, so i would say shop around.
But you're talking insurance in Nova Scotia, right?
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Hi,

Murano nice motor not the sort of thing I usually go for but these look very smart saw a white one with the chrome grill and leather now that was tasty good engine as well although a little pricey so may have to wait.
Is it possible to get classic car or limited mileage insurance for a second car as you can get here in the UK.
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Murano nice motor not the sort of thing I usually go for but these look very smart saw a white one with the chrome grill and leather now that was tasty good engine as well although a little pricey so may have to wait.
Is it possible to get classic car or limited mileage insurance for a second car as you can get here in the UK.
Yes, you can get such insurance. I have it on the Healey. I don't think they'd be interested in covering the Murano though, that's hardly "classic".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.