Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Temporary Jobs in Amsterdam or Den Haag

Temporary Jobs in Amsterdam or Den Haag

Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future
Default Temporary Jobs in Amsterdam or Den Haag

Hi there,

I am EU citizen and have right to work in NL, however I only speak english. Could anyone advise where could I find temporary work, looking at anything really, hotels, etc for a month or two or three...

Thanks for any advice, hint you may have.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:29 am
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temporary Jobs in Amsterdam or Den Haag

Temporary work in the Netherlands is almost exclusively handled through employment agencies, just do a google on google.nl.

The industry sector you're looking at is called "horeca" in dutch.

You are wise to look at the major cities to look for horeca work.

Don't forget all the formalities you will have to complete when you enter the Netherlands, even as a EU passport holder you will still have to register, a lot of paperwork.....

Again, do a google on moving to/or working in the Netherlands, everything is up there on the net, just do your homework and you'll be fine.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future

Thanks, I am not worried about the paperwork I know there is few things to sort out. My friends live in NL and I visit them at least once a year for last 10 years... I am looking for some tips on which agency is the best to use or how to find the job quickest really....

I will check out horeca info, cheers
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:20 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

To work in hotels etc in NL you will need two bits of paperwork.
One is to pass your HORECA exam unless you want to do the dishes or clean bedrooms etc.
http://www.horeca.nl/
The second is if you want to handle food you will have to pass an exam in food safety and handling.
Both will be in Dutch buit the later you can obtain in the Uk and have the apperwork translated into Dutch.

Good luck
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks CSE, I am not concentrating on a hotel job. I have more than 12 years experience in Customer Service, Operations in Logistics and Courier Services, Human Resoources as well as some Retail Management...

I am looking for a break to get a job so I can covermy expenses and learn dutch to start with.

Anyone knows of any jobs or places where to look, I would really appreciate any tips.

Cheers
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:43 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell my spelling was bad in the last posting, sorry
The Dutch word for staffing agencies is "uitzendbureau", you can limit the search results bu stating the area you wish to move to.
However most of the websites will be in Dutch so without the language skills it may prove hard to fnd what you are looking for.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bikbergen
Don't forget all the formalities you will have to complete when you enter the Netherlands, even as a EU passport holder you will still have to register, a lot of paperwork.....
Sorry, have to dissagree with you. Whilst the authorities want you to there is no NEED to register. Having lived here some six or seven years, I picked up the relevant leaflet from the foreign ministry. After a few pages of telling you how to register, etc. it then has this in its Q&A....

Q- What happens, as an EU citizen, if I do not register.
A- In practice nothing. Under EU treaty you are entitled to settle in any member state without hinderence. You may not be entitled to some government grants.

Of course you´ll still need to get your SOFI (tax) number, bank account, etc but that is all routine and easy.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I know its not a problem to get SOFI number or he new name it now has but I wonder how can I land a job that I do not need dutch at first, temporary or long term....
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point

There are jobs around, for example with multinationals, that don´t require you to speak Dutch but preference will usually be given to those that do.

There is one agency I know of that specifically deals with expats. They may be worth contacting - http://www.undutchables.nl/.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, they were first one I contacted...but the too have most jobs requiring dutch...

Cheers