Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Solicitor for property purchase in Leiden area

Solicitor for property purchase in Leiden area

Old Aug 4th 2019, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

clergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solicitor for property purchase in Leiden area

Hi all,
Hoping someone can help. I'm looking to buy a property in Leiden. Can anyone recommend a reliable (and reasonably affordable) solicitor to look after the legalities of buying as an expat buyer? Also, any insights into the process and pitfalls would be appreciated. It would be a cash purchase.
Many thanks in advance.
C
Old Aug 10th 2019, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solicitor for property purchase in Leiden area

I think most notaries will be able to speak English with you. Although I'm not familiar with Leiden, and I can't make a recommendation, I would advise you to contact a few that you find on google and ask them for a quotation. If they don't reply back to you, they probably would rather not work with you, or rather, using a second language (It's a Dutch thing). You could also ask if you will be required to pay for a Tolk/Vertaler (official registered translator) which is needed in the case of mortgages for sure, but I'm not sure if it's required just for signing over deeds in a cash purchase.

Do note that if you are buying outright in cash, your home will become an asset - you will need to check to see if it is taxable (Box 3 on the income tax return) at something like 0.7% pa - for this reason, most native Dutch homeowners arrange small mortgages after the main one is paid off (using the money for refurbishing their homes) until they are ready to sell, even if this takes them into their 70s or 80s This way they can claim tax relief, rather than pay it out. They're a canny lot Definitely something to look into though, once you secure employment?
Old Aug 10th 2019, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

clergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solicitor for property purchase in Leiden area

That's top info, RWF, just what we need. Had a viewing recently and the agent told us about needing a notary and not much else. We were quite surprised as solicitors seem to have a key role in the legalities of buying in the UK.
As for employment, I'm in the training field and not overly confident of finding something yet, hope that changes.
Thanks again!