schooling in holland

Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:45 am
Just Joined

twinmummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question schooling in holland

My partner has been offered a 3 yr job in holland and although he will do the commute at weekends for a while we would after a couple of months rent out our home here in the uk and rent somewhere in holland so we can be together as a family.

I just wondered what will happen about schooling for my 5 yr old twin daughters? will they go to a dutch school? or would i have to home school for a few years?

It is a big move for us and we are still trying to decide if he should take the job. I have no problem with moving as i think the commute for him every weekend will be too much in the long term but im also apprehensive about the childrens education & making friends.

We also have 3 older children (16-14yrs) who would join us for holidays.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: schooling in holland

If you are sure that you are going to move back to the UK, I would look for an "international school" or a British school in the Netherlands. The bigger cities like Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague have them.

Home schooling is almost impossible in the Netherlands. Children have to go to school. You can only get an exemption on religious grounds or if your child is severely handicapped.

When you consider to prolong your stay I would advise you to look for a Dutch school; this will help the children to "blend in" so to say. Children make friends quickly and the younger ones tend to pick up a new language quite easily.