Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Opening a Bar in Amsterdam - Looking for knowledge/Advice

Opening a Bar in Amsterdam - Looking for knowledge/Advice

Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:30 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a Bar in Amsterdam - Looking for knowledge/Advice

Originally Posted by GeniB
Hayley....I am neither 'self righteous'..or 'stuck up'..your silly reply ..tells me that your not at all ready (mature enough) to take on the task you have set yourself
At least her partner didn't reply in kind on the France forum (a good few do if they don't like to hear honest, unbiassed advice), but then he didn't reply at all....
Nonetheless, I wish them All the Best in Amsterdam, but would advise having a safety net back in the UK if it all goes pear-shaped....
Old Sep 29th 2014, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Fugee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeniB
They must be two of the most difficult places to work in as Ex-Pats....
If you had done any homework at all you would know at least two things..(1) you have to speak the language...(2) you have to speak it well enough to be able to negotiate licences,wholesalers,police etc etc which means passing exams in Dutch
I don't know about that.
A friend doesn't speak Dutch and he's got his own shop. He even managed to persuade the burgemeester to officially open it.

He opened it after being the regional manager of a national chain of shops selling the same things. He also works 2 days a week in the shop by himself without help from Dutch staff. How has he managed that? Having the drive, balls and the right personality and refusing to take no for an answer.

I thought expats were the ones who said that the Dutch always say things are not possible.

Last edited by Fugee; Sep 29th 2014 at 1:04 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to agree with Fugee here.

I got employment in the Netherlands without being head-hunted from the UK. I moved here on my own accord and searched until I found something. Yes it took 8 months, but at the time I spoke very little dutch.

It all depends on what skills you have and how much of an effort you can put in. Its important to identify your transferable skills that can apply to any job and not just the job you have experience in.

Lets try to keep this forum civil, The OP came here looking for some advice, not an attack. Albeit, it may not be the advice she hoped to receive but so was it, no need for personal insults!
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I think thats fabulous Fugee...and agree with all you say...(you don't say where the shop is?) but is not the norm in the Horeca...I was just being very honest with Hayley..

Stevie you are also right...If you can afford to live on your own savings ( no social security) and give it almost a year....( both my D's did) and have the guts and determination you have.shown...good on you....anything is possible....just not easy....all I'm saying.....and yes its been awhile maybe NL has softened up since I lived there....