Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Netherlands - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Netherlands - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:16 pm
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all
Default Re: Netherlands - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Originally Posted by watdoje
BTW, the first words of Dutch I learnt, are the most important:
"nog een, alstublieft!
( one more (beer) please ) ????
''Another one please'' but that could be kofie bier or anything really
Not when you've just had a beer, and you lift your empty glass to the barman.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Krakertjes
It's fun to read this as a dutch person!!
haha

We are planning to migrate so you can better not ask me those questions
Were not a big fan of holland
But most of you guys are probably going to Amsterdam or another big city so that's very different..
I'm also not a big fan of Amsterdam so
We live in Eindhoven that's a very different place and the people from here are also VERY different then in Amsterdam..
So like someone said that People over here are reserved, overhere they are very open and welcome..
So it depends on wich place your gonna live in Holland
I will follow this one to see what more stuff your gonna say
Good luck and goodbye
Krakertjes
Rather strange dutch people don't like A'dam,same here. I am a big fan of the south of the Netherlands, specialy Maastricht! I used to live there and my folks in law(brits) absolutely adored the place. But don't try to speak their dialect,never worked for me...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Starseed
Having done 3 years of German at school in Britain. ( Yes, I'm so old I remember the time when we Brits studied foreign languages seriously ) I sometimes use my German, when I'm struggling with Dutch, and often the Dutch tell me "please don't speak German, speak English".

They of course love you to speak some Dutch to them. I personally love the Dutch. They are so open and "in your face" compared to say the Swedes, who are so bloody withdrawn.

Speak English to them, plus some Dutch, and there's no problem.

BTW, the first words of Dutch I learnt, are the most important:

"nog een, alstublieft!

( one more (beer) please )
My husband(brit) learned his first dutch words in bars around Maastricht.We were seeing eachother for about a week when he came to my house and said" ik hou van jou". Ehm..Already? I asked him. But I just asked you how you are, was his reply. Ehm, no my darling, you just said you love me....
So for a year he went into taxi's,shops etc telling people he loved them.....
Ehm, cheeky dutch girls...........
Old May 1st 2007, 12:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trutje
My husband(brit) learned his first dutch words in bars around Maastricht.We were seeing eachother for about a week when he came to my house and said" ik hou van jou". Ehm..Already? I asked him. But I just asked you how you are, was his reply. Ehm, no my darling, you just said you love me....
So for a year he went into taxi's,shops etc telling people he loved them.....
Ehm, cheeky dutch girls...........
From Limburg girls?

there are worse things they could have taught him....

My husband speaks dialect and yes, it's impossible to understand him then. I do well to catch a few words of standard Dutch!
Old May 1st 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowbunny
From Limburg girls?

there are worse things they could have taught him....

My husband speaks dialect and yes, it's impossible to understand him then. I do well to catch a few words of standard Dutch!
Yes, I know!! But he denies that though.....RIGHT!
I can understand them very well, but I throw my R's around too much.
We're having a schottish friend living in Geleen, you can't really hear the difference between his scottish and geleen's dialect, both unable to understand!
Where's your husband from?
Old May 4th 2007, 4:29 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

Just been Amsterdam on holiday, I cut it short. I didn't like it one bit, tons of bikes and people to dodge its also very very noisy 24/7. Gets freezing at night.
Old May 4th 2007, 4:33 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
Just been Amsterdam on holiday, I cut it short. I didn't like it one bit, tons of bikes and people to dodge its also very very noisy 24/7. Gets freezing at night.
Sorry to hear that. I am Dutch, and I don't like Amsterdam either. You might have been better off in Maastricht or Breda or even Utrecht....the bikes are everywhere though...
Old May 4th 2007, 5:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
Sorry to hear that. I am Dutch, and I don't like Amsterdam either. You might have been better off in Maastricht or Breda or even Utrecht....the bikes are everywhere though...
Mostly at the bottom of the canals....
Old May 5th 2007, 7:00 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Mostly at the bottom of the canals....
I thought the Germans had taken them....
Old May 5th 2007, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MataHari
I thought the Germans had taken them....
Wish the Brits had done....Very hard to find a decent "Dutch" bike here.
Mostly mountainbikes. Being Dutch I like to sit up straight, finding a grandmother's bike(omafiets) is totaly out of the question..
Old May 8th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Sitting here, trying to find the words to express myself about the things that leaves me feel stick-out like a "sore thumb"....
Like a few people know I'm dutch, married to a Brit, living in UK for nearly a year now.

Nearly every day someting happens that makes me feel like I don't belong on this planet.

For instance...
My son(7) got bullied in school by a boy in his class. That obviously upset my son,husband and me. After my husband telling this to some people the reaction he got was; oh, don't worrie about it, it'll toughn's him up.......

Another thing happened in the bus on my way to pick up my kids from school.
A mother asked her little girl to sit somewhere she didn't want to sit. The girl, who couldn't be older then 3, yelled at her mother; "you're a selfish cow!!!!"
This stunned me so much, but what really stunned me was the reaction of her mother;" that's not fair darling, I've bought you anything you wanted today....."

What is it with me, am I use to morals and valuese, or am I just naive to the world?

Help! I'm so confused....
Old May 8th 2007, 4:07 pm
hmmmm...nice

Sitting here, trying to find the words to express myself about the things that leaves me feel stick-out like a "sore thumb"....
Like a few people know I'm dutch, married to a Brit, living in UK for nearly a year now.

Nearly every day someting happens that makes me feel like I don't belong on this planet.

For instance...
My son(7) got bullied in school by a boy in his class. That obviously upset my son,husband and me. After my husband telling this to some people the reaction he got was; oh, don't worrie about it, it'll toughn's him up.......

Another thing happened in the bus on my way to pick up my kids from school.
A mother asked her little girl to sit somewhere she didn't want to sit. The girl, who couldn't be older then 3, yelled at her mother; "you're a selfish cow!!!!"
This stunned me so much, but what really stunned me was the reaction of her mother;" that's not fair darling, I've bought you anything you wanted today....."

What is it with me, am I use to morals and valuese, or am I just naive to the world?

Help! I'm so confused....
I don't think these things have anything to do with being British or Dutch....stuff like this happens all over the world....regardless of nationality
Old May 8th 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are right But I just wanted to introduce myself
Old May 9th 2007, 6:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Wish the Brits had done....Very hard to find a decent "Dutch" bike here.
Mostly mountainbikes. Being Dutch I like to sit up straight, finding a grandmother's bike(omafiets) is totaly out of the question..
Ask one of the cycle stores to import one for you, I have seen them in Spain. ;-)
Old May 9th 2007, 6:06 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Ask one of the cycle stores to import one for you, I have seen them in Spain. ;-)
My BIL have a very big bike shop in Delft.

He has shipped bikes all over Europe before now. You could drop him a line.

He only sells the better brands like Gazelle, Koga, Sparta etc. so no cheap rubbish.

www.pietvonk.nl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.