Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Native speakers of English needed for language experiment!

Native speakers of English needed for language experiment!

Old May 13th 2007, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Native speakers of English needed for language experiment!

Originally Posted by trutje
Hey, I'm a woman! "Impulsive" is my middlename:P
And Trutje.... is that your first or last name?
Old May 13th 2007, 9:56 pm
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all

Sorry. I just wanted to show our Dutch friends here that not all of us Brits are ignorant of their language. I'm trying to pick it up...gradually.
Old May 14th 2007, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Starseed
Sorry. I just wanted to show our Dutch friends here that not all of us Brits are ignorant of their language. I'm trying to pick it up...gradually.
At least you got your location right.
Old May 14th 2007, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

HAHA Toontje. Very funny
Old May 14th 2007, 7:40 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 14th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Good Luck! They say it's hard, but personal find english spelling more of a puzzle. At least dutch is what you see is what you get.......
Old May 15th 2007, 10:14 pm
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all

Well I have three years' school German under my belt, at a school where languages were taught rigorously and grammatically, and Dutch is very close.

As for only getting GB right, I don't believe you!
Old May 15th 2007, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Okay.... All that's missing are the two dots on the last e: Groot-Brittanië.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I have three years' school German under my belt, at a school where languages were taught rigorously and grammatically, and Dutch is very close.

Do you have a reason why you want to learn dutch?
Old May 17th 2007, 1:10 am
Fight the good fight

Of course. I have plans to move to Holland. My first choice would be the West Coast of America, but US immigration rules are very tough.

I visit Holland regularly, and find the people and the social scene very much to my liking, I love cycling and hate car traffic, so .....

BTW Toontje, the software won't accept the e with an umlaut - ë - in my profile, even though we can write it in a post.

Last edited by Starseed; May 17th 2007 at 1:20 am.
Old May 17th 2007, 1:27 am
Fight the good fight

Originally Posted by trutje
Good Luck! They say it's hard, but personal find english spelling more of a puzzle. At least dutch is what you see is what you get.......
Yes English has it's idiosyncrasies. How to pronounce:

through
thought
thorough

BUT!! English is unique in European languages in that you NEED NOT KNOW THE GENDER OF EVERY DAMN NOUN IN THE UNIVERSE!

( Japanese not only has no noun gender; it doesn't even have the word "the".
In German, there are SIXTEEN ways of saying "the", depending on gender ( masculine feminine, neuter, plural ) and case ( nominative, accusative, genetive, dative ).

In Dutch? I haven't dared to look yet

Can you imagine how baffled the japanese must be trying to learn a European language? )

Old May 21st 2007, 9:40 am
Just Joined

JimWC is an unknown quantity at this point

if you are interested so am I 50ks from Nijmegen so something can be worked out,, I'm also fluent in Dutch and speak German..mail me [email protected].... I'm also looking for a lawyer to take on the Dutch government for social injustice,, in my case after 30 years work in NL thrown on the scrapheap and no income for 6 months..anyone want to fight for justice ? same mail address Jim