Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Living area's in amsterdam which is best?

Living area's in amsterdam which is best?

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

joeydub is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Living area's in amsterdam which is best?

Hi,

Moving to Amserdam for a 12 month contract and wondering which is the best area to move to? I don't require any particular requirements just safety easy of transport!

Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:54 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Living area's in amsterdam which is best?

Originally Posted by joeydub
Hi,

Moving to Amserdam for a 12 month contract and wondering which is the best area to move to? I don't require any particular requirements just safety easy of transport!

Thanks.
Depends on what kind of rent you want to, or are willing to pay. Amsterdam knows rents from € 800 to € 30.000 a month.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Living area's in amsterdam which is best?

Thanks for the reply.

About €1500 pm.

Which areas would you suggest?

Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Mehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really nice

Originally Posted by joeydub
Thanks for the reply.

About €1500 pm.

Which areas would you suggest?

Thanks.
€ 1500,00 p.m ??? Chuffing heck. Why pay this good money just to live close to your work? Public transport is very good in Holland (no matter what anyone else states in this forum) Start looking for something between Amsterdam & Den Helder for somewhere cheaper to live.
Amsterdam is just for tourist, get a real flavour of Dutch life like Ijmuiden?
He.., Hayley is moving there soon..... (See other thread). That's not too far from A'dam and you got a nice beach thrown in as well?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Living area's in amsterdam which is best?

Originally Posted by Mehari
€ 1500,00 p.m ??? Chuffing heck. Why pay this good money just to live close to your work? Public transport is very good in Holland (no matter what anyone else states in this forum) Start looking for something between Amsterdam & Den Helder for somewhere cheaper to live.
Amsterdam is just for tourist, get a real flavour of Dutch life like Ijmuiden?
He.., Hayley is moving there soon..... (See other thread). That's not too far from A'dam and you got a nice beach thrown in as well?
Thanks for your reply but I am would prefer to live in amsterdam or on the outskirts. Just uncertain which areas are nice to live in?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Ashgond is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread has been useful for me aswell.
I've been looking at Haarlem and it looks like a nice place too.

I'll also look at Ijmuiden, any more ideas?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Mehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really nice

Asgond

Haarlem has a large expat community & someone has created their own expat forum for this town. Every folk has their own taste of where is nice to live. Give me a large village with all ammenities and I'm happy. For you this might be boring? Leiden is only 20 mins from A'dam by train and should not be excluded. If you are bringing a big bag of money with you, why not try Wassenaar........ The closer you are within the "Randstad", the more expensive the housing market. I'm so glad I'm not living in this city belt, albeit if I want, a train ride could get me to A'dam within 1.25 hours.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Living area's in amsterdam which is best?

Thanks for all you replies.

I was hoping to live in Amsterdam and hence would prefer if someone could recommend a neighbourhood area from one of he below ....
Centrum, Westerpark, Oud-West, Zeeburg, Bos en Lommer, De Baarsjes, Amsterdam-Noord, Geuzenveld-Slotermeer, Osdorp, Slotervaart, Zuidoost, Oost-Watergraafsmeer, Oud-Zuid Zuideramstel.

Some one recommended Osdorp to me .... is that a nice area?

Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

LOL. I love to way no one wants to answer the question you asked. I fully understand why you want to live in Amsterdam, especially with only one year in the country. Also, Amsterdam is one of the great cities of Europe, diverse and full of things to do.

I live in the Oud-West and would recommend this area highly. The Oud-South near the Vondelpark is pretty shi-shi (rich) and slow. De Pip is also nice.

I would not live in the central canal belt: too many tourists.

Good luck
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DCMark
LOL. I love to way no one wants to answer the question you asked. I fully understand why you want to live in Amsterdam, especially with only one year in the country. Also, Amsterdam is one of the great cities of Europe, diverse and full of things to do.

I live in the Oud-West and would recommend this area highly. The Oud-South near the Vondelpark is pretty shi-shi (rich) and slow. De Pip is also nice.

I would not live in the central canal belt: too many tourists.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply.... it is very helpful for new xpats. I´ve been here a month now. I actually moved to the old part of amstelveen...and find it very nice.