Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

Old Sep 12th 2019, 9:50 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

La vie est belle.
That's really good to hear!
Old Sep 15th 2019, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

SA UK now BE is an unknown quantity at this point

That’s great to hear.

As Ive now been a year here I’ll give an update as well. Completed my B2 Dutch now moving onto A1. Things are making sense when proper Dutch is spoken, but is it in west Vlaams?! Not really.

Ive finally given notice to the Navy. So by June next year I’ll be applying for job in BE. As a third country applicant probably giving other hurdles to jump through.

Overall I’m loving Brugge, it’s 10min from beach which is probably windy. Fondly reminds me of my childhood home in Cape Town. People are friendly and getting on good terms with the butcher and baker which starts making the neighbourhood feel like home.

Expecting our first soon, so we have had a good run down of medical procedures and things to expect. Just hope the little one arrives before I have to get back in the Eurostar.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 6:42 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Had a visit to the town hall midweek to kick off the state pension (other countries) process. All they do is check that I really am who I say I am, which countries I'm due a pension from, sign this officially stamped document and Brussels will be in touch...

I am still reeling from the level of efficiency here.

Earlier today I received a message on our Whatsapp family group:

I thought that Annetje might have a chuckle at that.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Had a visit to the town hall midweek to kick off the state pension (other countries) process. All they do is check that I really am who I say I am, which countries I'm due a pension from, sign this officially stamped document and Brussels will be in touch...

I am still reeling from the level of efficiency here.

Earlier today I received a message on our Whatsapp family group:

I thought that Annetje might have a chuckle at that.
Normal language to me .... It's the way I think nowadays !
Could you read it ? Sometimes I see a text on FB with all the words back to front ... No problem

Counting I always start of in English and then somewhere switch to dutch ... Never in French
My mother used to talk like that but then just French and Dutch (Seriously !).
And with my late husband I mixed English and Dutch.
You should try that at home, great fun ! And a good way to learn the language (If your partner translates the difficult bits for you).

No too sure I'm a nerd though, maybe just a bit weird ?
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:11 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Normal language to me .... It's the way I think nowadays !
Could you read it ? Sometimes I see a text on FB with all the words back to front ... No problem

Counting I always start of in English and then somewhere switch to dutch ... Never in French
My mother used to talk like that but then just French and Dutch (Seriously !).
And with my late husband I mixed English and Dutch.
You should try that at home, great fun ! And a good way to learn the language (If your partner translates the difficult bits for you).

No too sure I'm a nerd though, maybe just a bit weird ?
We have done this at home for years, I used to try in the office in CH as well...

My response to that message was:

Agree that you're not a nerd

We do get some funny looks when we go shopping though, last weekend in Carrefour in Schoten was really funny, the cashier very quickly understood what was happening and joined in, mixing Dutch and English perfectly.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Once we were sitting at a terrace drinking whatever with my mother, brother, sister and her son (Gambian) mixing languages, as one does.
Suddenly from the table next door came the question : ''Welke nationaliteit hebben jullie'' ?
Was a Dutch couple who had been listening for a while.
They shook their heads when we told them all the different nationalities we have in our family !
(Counting ....counting .... 7 ! , that's called cosmopolitan).
Old Nov 24th 2019, 1:46 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

You lot think you've got problems - we get funny looks speaking Hungarian, in Budapest!