Old Dec 11th 2012, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Aitit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hilversum area and schools

And another thing is about houses To rent
You can look at funda.nl
To rent = huren
To buy = kopen

At this moment it is not so easy to Sell your house in Holland. It isalso a possibility To look at the houses that are To be sold. It is not unusual nowadays that people rent their house for the time being .
Old Dec 11th 2012, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

elmer2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aitit
We ( I am dutch I have moved from Holland To the UK
The last 20 years We lived in Hilversum with our children.
If you want To live in the neighbourhood of the international schools I would try to rent or buy a house in the south of Hilversum. It is the nicest part of Hilversum Tonlive and the children are really in the neighbourhood of the international schools and can cycle To school in max 10 minuteso

One of the nice things of Holland is that the children can do a lot of things on their bike and that is safe. You can not compare that To the UK, where i think cycling is fouten very dangerous.
I have friends in France and their children Miss the fact that they can just walk or cycle To friends. My children here in the uk miss that also
Hi
Thanks for the info on Hilversum, that's really helpful to know. One of the things we are looking forward to is the cycling there, especially for our children - I would agree it's not safe in the UK to do that on our busy roads. We drive our children everywhere in the UK! We don't plan on taking our car so it will be a very different lifestyle

Do you know much about the international schools in Hilversum and Amsterdam? We are considering AICS in Amsterdam; Hilversum International school and Violen Primary school but it would be useful to know how they compare? We are also interested in the Montessori education and might look for a school that follows this method in Amsterdam.

Also, my other question is my husband will be working in central Amsterdam and our main concern about living in Hilversum is that the commute could be nearly an hour each way (inc. getting to the station etc) , do you think that's accurate? We were also told we will probably need a car if we live in Hilversum, would you agree?

Are you enjoying the lifestyle in the UK? What do you like most about life here?

Thanks for the link. We have been using funda.nl to look for properties to rent. We will rent for the first year until we decide how long we will stay.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

traveller33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your insight, being more child centric is what draws me to the Netherlands and now our 3 daughters are cycling with proficiency it is hard that here in the UK there is nowhere for us to take them.

What other information could you give me about Hilversum, would you say its relatively safe for children? Are there lots going on in the town?

Do you think you will stay in the UK or go back?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

About safety in Hilversum

In the towncenter there are several things ging on at nighttime in the weekends.
I would say that it is not very safe when the children go out in the weekends. Our children did it and i was always glad when they were safe at home in the early morning. But this is something what also happens in other cities

Car

I would like To have a car in Hilversum. But you can cycle everything if you want

Schools Amsterdam or Hilversum

I Will ask a friend who knows more about the schools. But i would like To live in the place where the children are in school. It is so much easier for the children To make an appointement To " chill" in the same place
And the point that they can go on their own to school
In Hilversum there are also 2 montessori schools, But the schools are dutch

Work

It Depends on where exactly your husband is ging To work in Amsterdam.
When you live in the neighbourhood of a station it Does not take long To travel To Amsterdam centraal
A lot of people live in Hilversum and work in Amsterdam
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

I have looked some things up about learning dutch :

http://www.taalthuis.nl
I do not know them, but they give courses Dutch for expats in little groups in Hilversum

http://www.volksuniversiteithilversu...enlanders.html

http://www.babel.nl/taaltrainingen/g...en/nederlands/

http://gildegooinoord.nl/samenspraak/
Here there is a possibility to get a volunteer who helps you with your dutch
Old Dec 14th 2012, 6:01 am
Just Joined

traveller33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats brilliant, thank you for the links!