Help Me Move To Amsterdam!

Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

bencarr2592 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Help Me Move To Amsterdam!

Hi,

I'm 17 years old and have little experience and qualifications.
I am studying for a National Diploma in Business Studies, but I just want to get out of this bloody country.

I need to find somewhere to stay and some kind of income. I realise that I am being completely un-realistic but, as expats yourself, you must understand my position.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thank you, Ben x
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help Me Move To Amsterdam!

Save up enough money so that you can come over here and base yourself for a few weeks. On a tight budget you can probably survive on around 300 euro per week. Be prepared to return (I assume to the UK?) if needs be.

Once here see if you......

a) Like the place - living anywhere, including here, is a very different experience to visiting.

b) Can find a job and accommodation.

To be honest, whatever you do, you´ll find relocating a lot easier if you have a qualification and some work experience.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

andreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really nice
Default Re: Help Me Move To Amsterdam!

Originally Posted by bencarr2592
Hi,

I'm 17 years old and have little experience and qualifications.
I am studying for a National Diploma in Business Studies, but I just want to get out of this bloody country.

I need to find somewhere to stay and some kind of income. I realise that I am being completely un-realistic but, as expats yourself, you must understand my position.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thank you, Ben x
Hi Ben!
We are going there in February. You can sleep on the sofa (once we have a rent, that is). I would say, do save up some money before you leave (as said before) and you probably stand a better chance of getting a job with the diploma in your hands.

I do understand your position, I was 17 once and I am a double-expat now. If the bug bites....

I don't think you are unrealistic at all but be prepared that no matter how well prepared you are for the move/new life, etc, there can always be surprises... and that is part of the fun!

It is probably much easier to go abroad at your age when you have no loans or mortgage to pay or kids to think about. I was 20 when I first went abroad and I am bloody glad I never listened to my mother and my grandparents! If you can look after yourself at home, then you can look after yourself abroad too. Just have common sense, that's all.

Anyway, you are welcome to stay with us when we are there. But no smoking!