Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Do you have bad experiences as a (former) expat in the Netherlands?

Do you have bad experiences as a (former) expat in the Netherlands?

Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:42 am
Just Joined

dutchflower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you have bad experiences as a (former) expat in the Netherlands?

A dutch study revealed that 1 out of 8 expats leave Amsterdam within a year because they and their family do not feel at home . I would like to get in contact with (former)expats in the Netherlands who have bad experiences. Because of a cold welcome by the country and the employer. And perhaps other factors play also an important role. For example unhappy partners because they can not find a new job/new friends. Who would like to comment? thank you in advance! Linda
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

LexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really nice
Default Re: Do you have bad experiences as a (former) expat in the Netherlands?

From the same study one might then conclude that the other 7 out of 8 people are enjoying life in the Netherlands and do not leave within one year.

People are unique as are the experiences they undergo. I don't think you can rely too heavily on studies.
Better to try things for yourself and keep an open mind.

Lexy.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:40 am
Just Joined

katie007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dutchflower
A dutch study revealed that 1 out of 8 expats leave Amsterdam within a year because they and their family do not feel at home . I would like to get in contact with (former)expats in the Netherlands who have bad experiences. Because of a cold welcome by the country and the employer. And perhaps other factors play also an important role. For example unhappy partners because they can not find a new job/new friends. Who would like to comment? thank you in advance! Linda
I am currently living in the Netherlands and I am deeply unhappy. Second time around and feeling rather silly. Can expand if intested
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:46 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Moved there when I was 20 years old. married a Dutch girl a few years later and ended up living there for 21 years altogether and only left because I needed more time to spend with my family, and it wasnt going to happen in holland in my trade.

Its no different to Poms (or other migrants) that move to Oz.

I know numerous Brits & Dutchies that moved back home because they didnt settle for whatever reasons.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Alicja is a jewel in the roughAlicja is a jewel in the roughAlicja is a jewel in the roughAlicja is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by katie007
I am currently living in the Netherlands and I am deeply unhappy. Second time around and feeling rather silly. Can expand if intested
Oh dear . I'm interested - what's not working for you about the Netherlands?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:02 am
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LexyCon
From the same study one might then conclude that the other 7 out of 8 people are enjoying life in the Netherlands and do not leave within one year.
Exactly. Before I moved anywhere I'd want to do some exploration, which in this case would mean several short trips to sound the place out, get the feel, mingle with Dutch people, and see how you get on with them. If you have a family then that makes things more complicated of course.

I get on very well with the Dutch, but others might not. And Amsterdam is not the be-all & end-all of the Netherlands, any more than London is a good sample of Britain. I love it in some ways, but find it too much of a big-city (I know it's not BIG!) in others.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:48 am
Just Joined

shug1853 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is fair to say that things taking a bit of getting used to in Amsterdam but once that initial leap has been made, things are pretty good! Everything just works around here!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 11:27 pm
cjr
Just Joined

cjr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dutchflower
A dutch study revealed that 1 out of 8 expats leave Amsterdam within a year because they and their family do not feel at home . I would like to get in contact with (former) expats in the Netherlands who have bad experiences. Because of a cold welcome by the country and the employer. And perhaps other factors play also an important role. For example unhappy partners because they can not find a new job/new friends. Who would like to comment? thank you in advance! Linda
I moved here almost 11 years ago. The first year was a bit rough (documentation, integration, and so on) but that's about it. I'm irked by some aspects of life here yes, but they are minor annoyances only and would happen just about anywhere in the world.

Fortunately, I'm self employed, because securing employment here, especially if one is "older" (and in this context that could mean anything over 35) is extremely difficult, even if you're fluent in the language and familiar with customs.

I think I value the fact that this is a relatively "sane" society. People are polite to one another, and much value is placed upon "gezelligheid" (which has no true translation, but "sociability" is the closest...although it means much more in context)

I think what I dislike here more than anything else is the absolute god-awful weather. It's vile! Other places have "climate" this place has "weather" - "UGH!"

Not sure if this meets your criteria for comment, but for whatever it's worth, there's my $0.02 worth.

CJR
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

bsquared is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi DutchFlower

Are you living in Amsterdam at the moment? From your name I would maybe assume you're Dutch yourself?

I think 7 out of 8 people can't be a bad number of people to have feeling comfortable enough to stay! Don't forget the broad types of people the study would cover. Single travellers and university students would probably find it much easier fitting in than, for example, an older couple with children. People have lots of different expectations and needs so I'd think this would play a big part!

Brian