Culture Training and Course?

Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Harvey2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Culture Training and Course?

Fellow expats. I’m in the Netherlands for over a year now and having a great time. I have a terrific job and a nice apartment. Met loads of Dutch people and I believe that I’m completely integrated. Now my boss says that I need to take a cultural course designed for expats. This happened this morning. He met someone who developed this special course. Total BS I thought. In affect it is total BS. He gave me the name of the company and person who to contact. So I went checking on the internet what this is all about. Within minutes the information from different websites made clear that it was not far off from a hustle. So fellow expats if you are being asked by your employer to follow a training or course at outspokencommunication.com or LeadLanguages.com , just check the web and present your boss with your findings. He’ll be grateful. Watch and see.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

lekkerding is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Culture Training and Course?

Hi Harvey,

Glad to hear your in the NL and you have a good job and things are going well for you. Can i ask what do you do over there and did you go over with the job in place or did you find work once you was settled?

Do you think your boss has asked you to take this communication course because he or fellow employees have asked him because you may have a different approach to working? Im sure your a great worker just a little strange why they would want you to take a course like this.

Anyway look on the bright side.. all strings to your bow and also you may even get time to do the course
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi lekkerding, I hope your female because I know what lekkerding means....

Anyway, I'm a sales manager at a trading company and yeas I had my job secured before arriving here.
My boss is a assh....... he's Dutch, quite nice, but without any knowledge concerning cultural differences. I'm more Dutch than he'll ever be.

So, what's your story anyway?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Harvey,

Im male. Kind of a long story but that was my first Dutch word I learnt so I thought I would use it on here. In hindsight I shouldn't have!

Anyway thanks for your reply. My story is I use to spend a lot of time in holland and the place is close to my heart and I have no ties here and it's always been a dream to move one day.

I've been looking for work for a while now. Due to family circumstances I had to quit my job here in the UK but now I am able to search for work again.

I've been finding it hard to find work or even get noticed when submitting applications etc..

Maybe i would have more luck to be on the ground in Holland and visit a lot of recruitment consultants. that may be more hopeful and I may have better results that way.

I was interested in how you got work..it sounds like u landed a nice job.

Last edited by lekkerding; Apr 13th 2012 at 10:00 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

I'm bloody disappointed! You really have got to change your name man.....
I see that you joined recently so it wouldn't be so hard to change it now, would it?

Yes it would be better for you to come over and search for a job on the spot. However I can imagine that it's hard. Have you tried expatsjobs.eu on the net? What type of work do you normally do?

I got my job via a friend, he knew somebody who was on the lookout for a sales manager.

Have a pleasant weekend.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Hi Harvey, Sorry to hear your disappointed! lol

You think it would be better if i came over and searched for jobs on the spot yes.. I haven't tried that website but i will have a look at it today.. I've been working in Telecom for years now (engineering and supervisory role)

Sometimes i think finding work is who you know not what you know!!

Are you on linked-in?
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi lekkerding,

Sorry, I've been on a buniness travel in east-europe. Not easy connecting on the web etc......
So, have you tried the website?
Yes I'm on linkedin but must say thet it doesn't seem wise to post my full name here, considering what I wrote about my superior.
There is a certain demand for telecom guys overhere but they ask for special abilities. Don't know what your field of expertise is within the telecom market, so......
Try and try again and you'l find omething, I'm sure.
Tonight I'm going to watch "The voice" on the BBC, fels a bit like being home.........

Greetings.