Cost of Living in Amsterdam!!!

Old May 16th 2007, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

rahulbhatt_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Living in Amsterdam!!!

Hello,

I will be moving to Amsterdam in a month or so from India. I was wondering whether staying in Amsterdam would be easy with my kind of salary.

My sal is close to 70K per year (42 fixed+ 28 variable). I am planning to spend 1000 EUR on rent (for 1 BD), 500 on Food and 400 on Miscl.

I would also like to save close to 800 Euros every month.

Please let me know if the assumptions I made about rent, food and miscl are close to correct. And if I can save 800 Eur every month easily after all the Tax deductions.

Thanks for your help!!!

Rahul
Old May 16th 2007, 3:11 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living in Amsterdam!!!

Originally Posted by rahulbhatt_2000
Hello,

I will be moving to Amsterdam in a month or so from India. I was wondering whether staying in Amsterdam would be easy with my kind of salary.

My sal is close to 70K per year (42 fixed+ 28 variable). I am planning to spend 1000 EUR on rent (for 1 BD), 500 on Food and 400 on Miscl.

I would also like to save close to 800 Euros every month.

Please let me know if the assumptions I made about rent, food and miscl are close to correct. And if I can save 800 Eur every month easily after all the Tax deductions.

Thanks for your help!!!

Rahul
have you checked out this thread ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437907
Old May 16th 2007, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks...this actually give me some knowledge...but not complete...just wanted to know whether my assumptions about rent and other stuff are accurate...

My main concern is to able to save 800 Eur.

anyways..thanks so much for the response
Old May 16th 2007, 4:07 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...this actually give me some knowledge...but not complete...just wanted to know whether my assumptions about rent and other stuff are accurate...

My main concern is to able to save 800 Eur.

anyways..thanks so much for the response
but you say 42K fixed & 24 variable. Before tax I assume, but really the question is the same as how long is a piece of string.

If you earn 50k Plus before tax, and you live alone and dont have an expensive lifestyle, yes you can definitely save €800 minimum pm
Old May 16th 2007, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Yes..I think you are right.. i am willing to minimise cost by may be looking for a accom. in Haarlem..which I think is 20-25 mins from my office in Kabelweg...

I hope I get a studio or 1 bed apt there at less then 1000...Can you tell which place is better to live in...Haarlem or Utrecht ?
Old May 16th 2007, 4:21 pm
Going for a ride

Yes..I think you are right.. i am willing to minimise cost by may be looking for a accom. in Haarlem..which I think is 20-25 mins from my office in Kabelweg...

I hope I get a studio or 1 bed apt there at less then 1000...Can you tell which place is better to live in...Haarlem or Utrecht ?
both are OK to live, and Utrecht might be a little dearer, but I think the better option.

20-25 minutes in Holland is 40-45 minutes in the rush hour.
Old May 16th 2007, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

No worries...in Delhi we are use to it...takes us 1 hour to reach a place which is just 10 km (16 miles) away.

Thanks for you help!!! take care...Rahul
Old May 16th 2007, 4:38 pm
Going for a ride

No worries...in Delhi we are use to it...takes us 1 hour to reach a place which is just 10 km (16 miles) away.

Thanks for you help!!! take care...Rahul
10km is only 6 miles.

But I know what you mean.

whatever, I'm sure you can live in either places without any problem. Does your new employer not offer any help with relocation ?
Old May 16th 2007, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

oh...i am sorry about the '1' I have put there.

Yes...my employer is paying me..2500 approx for bringing my stuff to Amsterdam..they will also pay for 1 or 2 months security deposite which is required to pay for rent, however that would be later deducted from my first 2 months pay slips...so they are helping me a lot..

I was only wondering whether I will be able to save some money for my obligations here in India, which after this conversation with you, I think I can.

My salary in India is 75k per month which is considered as 'good' as per Indian standards, hence I was wondering whether 70K per year in Amsterdam is considered 'OK', 'Good' or 'very good'.

can you comment??
Old May 16th 2007, 5:05 pm
Going for a ride

oh...i am sorry about the '1' I have put there.

Yes...my employer is paying me..2500 approx for bringing my stuff to Amsterdam..they will also pay for 1 or 2 months security deposite which is required to pay for rent, however that would be later deducted from my first 2 months pay slips...so they are helping me a lot..

I was only wondering whether I will be able to save some money for my obligations here in India, which after this conversation with you, I think I can.

My salary in India is 75k per month which is considered as 'good' as per Indian standards, hence I was wondering whether 70K per year in Amsterdam is considered 'OK', 'Good' or 'very good'.

can you comment??

are you talking about €'s ?

€70k per year is good money.
Old May 16th 2007, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

yes ..talking about EUR...'Good' is soothing to hear
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Ron Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by furkew
but you say 42K fixed & 24 variable. Before tax I assume, but really the question is the same as how long is a piece of string.

If you earn 50k Plus before tax, and you live alone and dont have an expensive lifestyle, yes you can definitely save €800 minimum pm
Hi, can you give an approximate outlay per month for a couple which includes utilities such as electric/gas/water/local tax etc etc please.....ta Ron
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:42 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Ron Baker
Hi, can you give an approximate outlay per month for a couple which includes utilities such as electric/gas/water/local tax etc etc please.....ta Ron
Amsterdam or Amstelveen ?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

It looks more likely to be Amstelveen....
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

can you also give any information for my wife ,who is a Nanny - Nursey nurse and would like to work with young children (pre-school) in the Aalsmeer/Amstelveen area if possible ?