Cost of food

Old Jul 7th 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

username132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of food

Does anyone else find the cost of food higher in the Netherlands? Three euro for a tin of meatballs?! What this place needs is a good, two-storey, 24-hour ASDA supercentre!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

morganfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of food

Hi we lived in Holland for about 2 years and found food to be very expensive. Albert Heijns especially - we did find a supermarket chain that was reasonable but cant think of the name (will come to me). All those little grocery shops were sweet though. Took a while all the time to do the shopping as you usually had to visit 10 different shops. Nice cheese though.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 4:03 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username132
Does anyone else find the cost of food higher in the Netherlands? Three euro for a tin of meatballs?! What this place needs is a good, two-storey, 24-hour ASDA supercentre!
everybody here makes their own meatballs

I find Holland a lot cheaper than the UK for shopping if you eat Dutch.

If you eat lots of typical English food, yes it is expensive, and Albert Hein is by far the dearest (but beats all UK supermarkets for snacks & speciality foods) but each as the Dutch do,and its easily cheaper.

C1000 is probably 20% cheape than AH, and still good quality. Lidl & Jumbo cheaper still, but not so good quality.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by furkew

If you eat lots of typical English food, yes it is expensive, and Albert Hein is by far the dearest (but beats all UK supermarkets for snacks & speciality foods) but each as the Dutch do,and its easily cheaper.

C1000 is probably 20% cheape than AH, and still good quality. Lidl & Jumbo cheaper still, but not so good quality.
My Dutch boss keeps insisting I ate at all the wrong places on my last visit. From my experience though, the dutch take a perfectly good meal and then chuck some freaky sauce on it, etc. But, my boss is tempting me over next month so hopefully I will be able to retract this.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ron Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by furkew

Yes, the C1000 store is quite good for all general day-to-day produce, but what Hypermarkets are there if any in the Amstelveen/Amsterdamn area ?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ron Baker
Yes, the C1000 store is quite good for all general day-to-day produce, but what Hypermarkets are there if any in the Amstelveen/Amsterdamn area ?
Hi there

no such thing as hypermarkets in Holland, no big Tesco's, Sainsburys etc, think of grocery shopping in the UK about 50 years ago and there you have it. Twee /quaint though.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by username132
Yes it is expensive, cheese and Vla (custard in huge cartons) is cheap so a nice healthy diet.