Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Considering moving to Amsterdam/Spain/France

Considering moving to Amsterdam/Spain/France

Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

cheekychick85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering moving to Amsterdam/Spain/France

Hi, bit of an essay here! (apologies!)

I'm posting this thread in the hope that I'll get some serious replies/advise!

Basically, I'm considering moving out of the UK next year for various reasons, and like the idea of a number of places, including Amsterdam, Spain and France. I have a few worries though, regarding race. I'm not generally a cynical person, and so don't want to cause offence and come across as cynical, but people keep telling me that these places are highly racist! These are not my views as I wouldn't know! I've been to France but that was years ago.

I'd like to ask, as a black female from the UK, would I be subject to serious racism in any of the above countries, or would I just be a normal person, like here, where I can just get on with my life?!

I'm sure I'd be ok as a tourist, but what about actually living there?
I'd like to hear everyones views, and particularly those from any 'ethnic' people who have made such a move!

Also, what are job prospects like in Amsterdam? I know it's hard to get a job in this country let alone abroad - but is it extremely hard/impossible? I'm qualified in graphic design, but more experienced and qualified in the hospitality industry (hotels, catering, events, etc) I'm not afraid of hard work and would happily work from the bottom up again if I had to.

What have people thought about language barriers? I speak English (obviously!), and basic French. I've also started learning Dutch (very very hard!). Have you been okay getting by on English/basic Dutch etc, or do you have to seriously learn the lingo?

Also, what is it like renting property etc?

Now obviously, I'd go to these places (particularly Ams) to research/investigate possiblities, and find out if I really do want to go for it, but thought I'd post here for any advice first!

I do hope I will get some serious advice. I'm not trying to cause any offence, or come across as some kind of racial victim, but I've never been subjected to it in th UK, and would therefore worry about going somewhere that is meant to be really bad. I hope you understand.

Any general advice/experiences of moving to these places (espesh Ams!) is most welcome!

Is there anyway to make friends in these countries before going?

Thanks x
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Considering moving to Amsterdam/Spain/France

There is an elemnent of racism here in NL but IMO it is no better or worse than in the UK. I certainly wouldn´t describe it as "highly racist".

There are jobs around. At 3.7% the unemployment rate is less than half that of the UK. You will however be at a disadvantage if you don´t speak Dutch. There are plenty of other threads on here from people asking many of the same things. Just have a look around.

Pretty well everybody here speaks English so that is not an issue for day to day things. Certainly try spending some time here (or anywhere else you are thinking about) before making the jump. Visiting a place and setting in it are two very different experiences.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

cheekychick85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brianc_li
There is an elemnent of racism here in NL but IMO it is no better or worse than in the UK. I certainly wouldn´t describe it as "highly racist".

There are jobs around. At 3.7% the unemployment rate is less than half that of the UK. You will however be at a disadvantage if you don´t speak Dutch. There are plenty of other threads on here from people asking many of the same things. Just have a look around.

Pretty well everybody here speaks English so that is not an issue for day to day things. Certainly try spending some time here (or anywhere else you are thinking about) before making the jump. Visiting a place and setting in it are two very different experiences.
Thanks. I would deffo spend a bit of time there before making the jump.
I've just been a bit concerned because of things I hear...maybe I shouldn't listen to hearsay, and go and find out for myself!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rumpole is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure race issues in the NL are any worse than the UK. What is a major concern here at the moment is the rise of Muslim extremism and this has prompted a backlash (e.g. Geert Wilders party the VVD which stood on an anti Muslim platform at the recent European elections received 19% of the vote).

In France and Spain of course there is also a lot of anti-Muslim feeling.

What can be an issue in the workplace is that the Dutch aren't great on equal opportunities for Woman. Although this is enshrined in law, in practice relatively few Dutch women make it to senior levels of management. Part of this may be due to the emphasis the Dutch place on the family so that many Dutch women stop work when they start a family.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

We have 6 great-nieces and nephews of mixed ethnic parentage, i.e. one parent was either Black or Indian. They all live in London and have no problems at all there. I would think northern France would be fine, I know that in southern France right-wing parties are quite strong. In Holland they give the Germans quite a hard time and also moslems, but I think if you are a pleasant person yourself you will do just fine. I cant say for Spain.
By learning Dutch you will show that you wish to integrate. Go to all 3 countries and see how you get on. I understand your concern, it's a sad world that we live in, where the colour of your skin is an issue.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

msnau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I agree, there is currently a political focus against Muslims here in NL. Much of it is media based and public opinion easily sways with what the media agencies portray. Not many people challenge what they are told. As a result some sections of society look down upon another section of society -which happens to be an ethnic minority. Its quite normal for a Muslim to be called Ali Baba in public. If this can happen to one ethnic group, it can easily happen to another.

Having said that, Spain is regarded as racist. France is regarded as less racist than Spain. And, NL is probably regarded less racist than these other two. There are many ethnics here in NL from many parts of the world who generally live well with each other - it is just going through an uneasy shift at the moment.