Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

30% Ruling & Unemployment Benefit

30% Ruling & Unemployment Benefit

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

leopardi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 30% Ruling & Unemployment Benefit

Hi all,

For nearly a year now I have been working for a firm in Amsterdam, and I was granted the 30% ruling.

However, now they've given me the boot.

It seems that I am eligible for unemployment benefit, quite high for three months, then falling.

My question is, if I apply for the unemployment benefit, does this absolutely cancel any entitlement to the 30% ruling ever again? Even if I go away & work elsewhere & am then hired again?

Thanks for any help on this.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Rumpole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 30% Ruling & Unemployment Benefit

I wouldn't have thought that you would automatically be disqualified but remember that the 30% rule is not automatic. It only applies in professions where there is a skill shortage and it would be otherwise difficult to hire foreign workers. Although it is available for a maximum of 10 years the time that you spent in your previous job will be taken off.

The Dutch inland revenue (belastingdienst) has more information (in Dutch only). Although this does not mention unemployment it does refer to previous work in the Netherlands so I would think it is still possible in principal to get this tax break.

http://www.belastingdienst.nl/zakeli...ml#P1053_26369
Old Sep 1st 2009, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Hearts8 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have been granted the 30% ruling you automatically lose certain benefits. One of which is unemployment benefits. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Good luck
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the 30% ruling for eight years now. Some six years ago I had to sign on for unemployment benefit for a few months. This I got although it wasn´t a huge amount, from memory around 800 euro p.m.

Once I was back in work my employer applied for and got my 30% ruling back.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

craig-or-dani is an unknown quantity at this point

can i ask a question about the 30% ruling? i work in retail. the manager has been put forward for the 30% ruling and so has the other assist manager. i am also an assist manager , we get the same money , same job everythings the same except hes been in the company for 4 years ive only been in for 2 years and 3 months. my company have said because i miss the deadline by 3 months there not willing to apply for the 30% ruling for me? is this correct? i cant find anywhere that mentions you must be with the employer for 2 and a half years? a dutch workmate says that is not needed.

can anyone give some advice on this matter?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

paul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nice

Hi craig-or-dani,

I'm no expert, but this doesn't sound right to me...as I understand it, the 30% ruling is a facility awarded based not on length of service, but on the skills and experience that an expat holds. It sounds to me like it is more of a company policy with regard to applying for the ruling - perhaps you can apply for it yourself?

I don't know if the ruling can be backdated by any amount of time...would be nice if you can get it for the service you've already put in!

As I say, I'm not expert, so worth following up on some official sites.

Good luck!

Paul