Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is your man good at DIY?

Is your man good at DIY?

Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:02 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your man good at DIY?

Originally Posted by paulry
I'm pretty much the same. Decorating and relatively undemanding repairs yes but beyond that I prefer to get the professionals in.

These days the difference between the prices of houses that need complete gutting and those where the work has already been done isn't as great as it should be so I prefer to buy a house with most of the work already done.
Zgadzam angielski pracownicy mają często bardzo długie przerwy na papierosa. Oni są tak leniwe.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:16 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Zgadzam angielski pracownicy mają często bardzo długie przerwy na papierosa. Oni są tak leniwe.
Oh, the "hard working Polish worker/lazy Brit" old chestnut again. This one's already been done to death
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:22 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, the "hard working Polish worker/lazy Brit" old chestnut again. This one's already been done to death
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:47 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emelems
You can come and put up my ikea furniture anytime!

Em x
Em, I'd be delighted to come round and put it up for you. I have the tools for such a task and I'd get it up for you in no time at all.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
Em, I'd be delighted to come round and put it up for you. I have the tools for such a task and I'd get it up for you in no time at all.
Once you have got it up, do you find it hard to get it back down again?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:05 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Once you have got it up, do you find it hard to get it back down again?
If it remains erect it can be more awkward to move around but at least it is always ready for use.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
If it remains erect it can be more awkward to move around but at least it is always ready for use.
Oh ok. Just be careful noone attempts to sit on it.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:19 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting better ... I'm an IT guy by trade but I like the satisfaction of making something tangible, preferably with wood. My Dad was really practical and I suspect I have inherited some of his skills.

I fixed the bookcase at the weekend (replaced crappy plastic things with proper shelving). Also have previously made a fine breadbox and have nearly finished the Taj Mahal of kennels (made from old patio bits that I pulled down).

Also dug out the slab for the new patio and have been getting busy with a chainsaw down by the creek. Winter is coming, firewood required.

Try doing that in a flat in Kent (and not getting arrested) ...
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:24 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'm getting better ... I'm an IT guy by trade but I like the satisfaction of making something tangible, preferably with wood. My Dad was really practical and I suspect I have inherited some of his skills.

I fixed the bookcase at the weekend (replaced crappy plastic things with proper shelving). Also have previously made a fine breadbox and have nearly finished the Taj Mahal of kennels (made from old patio bits that I pulled down).

Also dug out the slab for the new patio and have been getting busy with a chainsaw down by the creek. Winter is coming, firewood required.

Try doing that in a flat in Kent (and not getting arrested) ...
Sounds great!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:46 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great!
To say nothing of the impending Cubby House project and the various bits of irrigation/fire-protection work that need to be done. And the mowing ... always the mowing ...

Beats software development, at least you can touch your handywork And I get to climb trees ... bonus!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:06 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

I love these 'my mans better than your man' threads lol

lets see some before and after photos gang?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I'm an IT professional and will freely admit that I can do pretty much sod all when it comes to DIY... If I want something doing I get a man to do his trade and do a few additional hours at my trade to pay for it.

Having seen some DIY work its an approach I suggest more guys should take !!
I would like to do more than I can. The only thing that puts me off is the kids getting in the way and not being able to put the time in to do a good job - I would rush it and not do it well, or I haven't got the time to do the planning - end to end and would make small mistakes and then not rectify them. It's very fustrating with 3 pre-schoolers!

When Chief is overseas, I can turn my hand to carpentry and do OK. I take my time and measure a lot more accurately than most tradies.

The one job I would refuse to do is plastering. There are also jobs I can't be arsed to do and will gladly pay. Landscaping, gardening (flowers).

And Vim - bizarrely enough - I do not like digging - just don't. Why should I do it....now building is something else!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 15th 2010 at 11:52 am.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:49 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is in IT - contracting consultant something or other , but is a dab hand at DIY, does everything himself and has now renovated 2 hooses
Old Mar 15th 2010, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

neilwhitfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am excellent been in construction for 36 years as an advanced Carpenter and Joiner I feel I can fufill your needs

cheers
neil
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:21 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
My hubby is in IT - contracting consultant something or other , but is a dab hand at DIY, does everything himself and has now renovated 2 hooses
photos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.