Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

your experiences with emigrating young adults

your experiences with emigrating young adults

Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice
Default your experiences with emigrating young adults

Hi,

My biggest worry is not emigrating but the possibility that my 2 eldest 'children', now aged 18 and nearly 22 , won't settle. They are at that age when their family means less to them than their mates and social circle.
I like to hear from those who have taken their older children along and how it turned out. Long term, I hope they will eventually decide to lon us, I am really worried about the first few years ! They are still in education and will have to continue in UK for a while cause of the expense of studying in Oz, but hopefully they will spend at least 2 years out of the next 5 with us to be entitled to a resident return visa.
Family breaking up is the one thing which would really test my long term commitment to Oz. How do you do it ???

Mrs Ozbaz
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: your experiences with emigrating young adults

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Hi,

My biggest worry is not emigrating but the possibility that my 2 eldest 'children', now aged 18 and nearly 22 , won't settle. They are at that age when their family means less to them than their mates and social circle.
I like to hear from those who have taken their older children along and how it turned out. Long term, I hope they will eventually decide to lon us, I am really worried about the first few years ! They are still in education and will have to continue in UK for a while cause of the expense of studying in Oz, but hopefully they will spend at least 2 years out of the next 5 with us to be entitled to a resident return visa.
Family breaking up is the one thing which would really test my long term commitment to Oz. How do you do it ???

Mrs Ozbaz
Its hard to say but are they independent, sociable, out all the time etc? Its a difficult age to emigrate at. People dont like to do it but imagine the worst case scenario .. one of them hates it and is adamant about going home, what are you going to do then?
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to let them go and do their own thing and not expect them to live your dream because it may well be their nightmare. There are quite a few of us with kids on the other side of the world and it is perfectly do-able. After all, it is possibly what you are doing to your parents. If they find that they have better options there then you would be doing them a disservice to insist that they didnt access those better options. Not easy though, but as I said, quite do-able.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend has done it.. PM me with your email address and I'll get in touch with her (via FB) and see if she can help.. I do know her teenagers (well, I think they are about 18 or 19) are all settled down now.. not sure how it went in the beginning..

Em x
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
You just have to let them go and do their own thing and not expect them to live your dream because it may well be their nightmare. There are quite a few of us with kids on the other side of the world and it is perfectly do-able. After all, it is possibly what you are doing to your parents. If they find that they have better options there then you would be doing them a disservice to insist that they didnt access those better options. Not easy though, but as I said, quite do-able.

Hi

All true. I did it to my parents and if my kids did it to me in the future that's be OK with me too. But at this age and stage in their lives it would be nearly impossible for hubby and I to leave especially the nearly 19 year old whose complete lack of motivation is driving us nuts. So we are hoping that he will ' find' something in Oz to wake him up .
Better options? There is not much where we are , rural Ireland, believe me ...in terms of options it can only get better !
This may sem a contradiction, but all I want for my children is to be independent. Mother's intuition says' they have a better chance in Australia'.
At the moment the generous Irish government is playing right into my 18 year old's hands... nah, I want him to hunt crocodiles or something . ( See, I am not at all overprotective

Mrs ozbaz
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emelems
My friend has done it.. PM me with your email address and I'll get in touch with her (via FB) and see if she can help.. I do know her teenagers (well, I think they are about 18 or 19) are all settled down now.. not sure how it went in the beginning..

Em x

Cheers for that. Will PM you !
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:01 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Cheers for that. Will PM you !
Have emailed her Tina... will leave it up to her from here.. stay in touch!

Em x