Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Your British Food Recipes

Your British Food Recipes

Old Jul 21st 2013, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold
Default Your British Food Recipes

Anyone interested in a "continuing" thread for recreating some of the old favourites from "back home?"

I'll kick this one off with my Barnsley Gramma's Yorkshire Pudding - served as one big puffy slab to be cut up and smothered in gravy as the first course. Second course with the roast beef was served with a parsley sauce as the gravy had been used up with the pud.

Preheat oven to 230 degrees (she just used to open the flue on the side of the coal fire to heat the integrated oven - cat slept there overnight).

Cup of eggs
Cup of flour plus rounded dessertspoon - must be plain, SR will not work.
Cup of milk
salt.
2 tbsp lard or dripping. She lived to be 99

beat eggs into flour till smooth.
beat in milk gradually the give a really good whisk. Should be the consistency of pancake batter.

Two tablespoons lard or dripping into a flat pyrex oven dish. Heat in oven till all at 230 degrees till sizzling hot. Whip it out and pour the batter smoothly and quickly and back into the oven immediately.

Don't open the door, 20 mins should do it.

Above recipe you would actually need a bigger dish than this piccie, I think that was a 3 egg version, but the only photo I could find.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your British Food Recipes

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Anyone interested in a "continuing" thread for recreating some of the old favourites from "back home?"

I'll kick this one off with my Barnsley Gramma's Yorkshire Pudding - served as one big puffy slab to be cut up and smothered in gravy as the first course. Second course with the roast beef was served with a parsley sauce as the gravy had been used up with the pud.

Preheat oven to 230 degrees (she just used to open the flue on the side of the coal fire to heat the integrated oven - cat slept there overnight).

Cup of eggs
Cup of flour plus rounded dessertspoon - must be plain, SR will not work.
Cup of milk
salt.
2 tbsp lard or dripping. She lived to be 99

beat eggs into flour till smooth.
beat in milk gradually the give a really good whisk. Should be the consistency of pancake batter.

Two tablespoons lard or dripping into a flat pyrex oven dish. Heat in oven till all at 230 degrees till sizzling hot. Whip it out and pour the batter smoothly and quickly and back into the oven immediately.

Don't open the door, 20 mins should do it.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v...pud1Medium.jpg

Above recipe you would actually need a bigger dish than this piccie, I think that was a 3 egg version, but the only photo I could find.
Nice.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

British food is so under rated

Oh those long pub dinners by the fire with those country road drives home
Old Jul 21st 2013, 9:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Look in this thread, hundreds of recipes in there, and even indexed if you look at page 1 of the thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435791
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, that one was under my radar, will switch to that one, cheers.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

try bbc good food website, made a few from there, chicken and taragon pie was tasty
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Steak and kidney pudding and steak and mushroom pudding. Delicious Sunday pig out!!

Delia Smith recipe for steak and kidney and replace with mushrooms. Easy as. Steamed mine for 6 hours

Not sure why puds look flat in picture but they are in pudding basins
Attached Thumbnails Your British Food Recipes-image.jpg  
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:10 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

We should include Scottish cuisine in all this.

1. Buy Mars Bar.
2. Dip it in batter.
3. Drop it in deep fat fryer.

Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
British food is so under rated

Oh those long pub dinners by the fire with those country road drives home
I would say there has been a massive revival in British food in the past decade. Long gone are the dark ages of the sixties and seventies. When I was back last year I could not believe how popular growing your own veggies has become. When I was young my parents never had friends round for dinner, always went out for socializing. Now most people entertain at home. People like Rick Stien, Hugh Fernley, Jamie Oliver etc have had a big impact. A
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

You've never lived till you've had a Scottish deep fried battered meat pie.

I was watching a UK show about local produce just today - the Welsh pig farmer should have been subtitled, although I understood every word of course, boyo.

Actually on the subject of that BBC site, I got onto it today and made some bakestones (Welsh Cakes) for my Welsh buddy who's in hospital at the moment. Guy was overcome with emotion so they must have been authentic
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
You've never lived till you've had a Scottish deep fried battered meat pie.

I was watching a UK show about local produce just today - the Welsh pig farmer should have been subtitled, although I understood every word of course, boyo.

Actually on the subject of that BBC site, I got onto it today and made some bakestones (Welsh Cakes) for my Welsh buddy who's in hospital at the moment. Guy was overcome with emotion so they must have been authentic
Either that or he was totally depressed that they were really shite.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wait till I take him a tray of my faggots then see how he jumps