Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you waiting for the exchange rate to go up?

Are you waiting for the exchange rate to go up?

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

roobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura about
Default Are you waiting for the exchange rate to go up?

Hello

I was wondering if there were any others out there who are waiting for the exchange rate to go in our favour here in the uk before making the big move?

OR would you consider moving out there with a float (enough to live on for 6 months or less) and wait before transferring money across from the uk to oz when you're out there?

The exchange rate is not good, and we'd be looking at losing a huge sum of money if we moved over now so we're just weighing up our options, would love to hear what others in the same boat are thinking!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:04 pm
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are you waiting for the exchange rate to go up?

Yes I know what you mean, we would keep living off a float, until the exchange rate got to something like we would want. Gone are the days of 280+ to the pound...
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you can survive without the bulk of the capital though - I've been here over two years, foolishly hadn't got everything set up for a large scale transfer when the rate briefly topped 2.5, and now STILL have the vast majority of my savings in the UK! No telling what will happen with rates or when, so definitely don't rely on some good luck "in the next 6 months" (or any other arbitrary timeframe) as it may not happen!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

Not had any luck selling our house, so hoping the rates will go up by the time we move. Only problem, the £ just keeps going down against the $, will it ever go up again to arounf the 2.30 mark?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lymm Mover
Not had any luck selling our house, so hoping the rates will go up by the time we move. Only problem, the £ just keeps going down against the $, will it ever go up again to arounf the 2.30 mark?
My crystal ball says yes,
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by esperanza
Hope so
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:15 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

We waited and waited to bring my Mums inheritance over.....but when we looked at it, it was better to bring it over at a 'loss' and get it working against our mortgage etc... in effect saving us just as much money as we were losing by the current crap exchange rate.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:35 am
Peace Frog

From what I have heard that by leaving your bulk of the money in the U.K. that it is liable for Tax deductions when you decide to bring the money in for a better exchange rate or whatever. Can anyone expand on this?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodge26
From what I have heard that by leaving your bulk of the money in the U.K. that it is liable for Tax deductions when you decide to bring the money in for a better exchange rate or whatever. Can anyone expand on this?
Yes . . .
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:38 pm
Peace Frog

Originally Posted by spartacus
Yes . . .

do you know how much?
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:22 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
..but computer says no.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

it will all come good again, its just like fashion, and i should know, ive still got my bell bottoms, just biding my time, ready to wow you all with my style
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:04 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Going by the latest announcement, there is only one way for the pound for the foreseeable future