Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you're in Australia when.....you're asked "who's Alan Shearer?" !!!!

You know you're in Australia when.....you're asked "who's Alan Shearer?" !!!!

Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:36 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of
Default You know you're in Australia when.....you're asked "who's Alan Shearer?" !!!!

So I was very happy at the repsonse to my soccer sweep at work, not really thinking that many would want to dig in deep for $5 on a sport they are not fanatical about. But everyone got right into it and everyone even has little flags on their desks of the countries they drew in the sweep.

The chart is on the wall in the lunch room and, YES!, people ARE talking about the most watched sporting event in the world.

ON chatting about our little flags at our desks I mentioned to 2 colleagues, that I may vene bring in my little miniature "Alan Shearer" so keep me company over the next 4 weeks. They looked at me puzzled and simply said "Who's Alan Shearer?". I stopped dead in my tracks. The words God and hero sprung to mind but I remembered where I was (other side of world!), didn't take it to heart and decided to be happy that I'd managed to get 32 people to at least take part in my sweep....

I also have a miniature Peter Beardsley but don't hold out much hope there either .

Enjoy the game whereever you may be watching it!
Sunshine Sarah
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're in Australia when.....you're asked "who's Alan Shearer?" !!!!

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
So I was very happy at the repsonse to my soccer sweep at work, not really thinking that many would want to dig in deep for $5 on a sport they are not fanatical about. But everyone got right into it and everyone even has little flags on their desks of the countries they drew in the sweep.

The chart is on the wall in the lunch room and, YES!, people ARE talking about the most watched sporting event in the world.

ON chatting about our little flags at our desks I mentioned to 2 colleagues, that I may vene bring in my little miniature "Alan Shearer" so keep me company over the next 4 weeks. They looked at me puzzled and simply said "Who's Alan Shearer?". I stopped dead in my tracks. The words God and hero sprung to mind but I remembered where I was (other side of world!), didn't take it to heart and decided to be happy that I'd managed to get 32 people to at least take part in my sweep....

I also have a miniature Peter Beardsley but don't hold out much hope there either .

Sunshine Sarah
Wouldn't worry about Peter Beardsley (lose him ) I like that the Aussie's know as much about the UK premier league as the UK know about Aussie Rules
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're in Australia when.....you're asked "who's Alan Shearer?" !!!!

So....who is he?? Is he a pal of that Robbie Williams bloke?
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:52 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So....who is he?? Is he a pal of that Robbie Williams bloke?
probably cockheads stick together
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:04 am
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wengerboy
probably cockheads stick together
I have heard that cockheads normally hang in trilogys.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:58 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wife Beater
I have heard that cockheads normally hang in trilogys.
better late than never bro
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:12 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine Sarah

Tell 'em he is to football what Wally Lewis is to rugby league. They will know what you mean then!

Loz x (won't be watching the football...............wrong shaped ball for me)
Old Jun 11th 2006, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Bert had the opposite last week - sat next to Nick Farr Jones at a conference in Katoomba and decided to chat about sport (having no idea who he is/was). lol
Old Jun 11th 2006, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sunshinesarah]So I was very happy at the repsonse to my soccer sweep at work, not really thinking that many would want to dig in deep for $5 on a sport they are not fanatical about. But everyone got right into it and everyone even has little flags on their desks of the countries they drew in the sweep.

Sunshine Sarah[/QUOTE

Sir Alan (God), England could have done with him last night and they wouldn't have looked like a pile shite that they were. They had better shape up for when they meet Sweden and Trinidad & Tabago or they will not make the next round.

John & Nicky