British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   you know your in Australia when........... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/you-know-your-australia-when-478451/)

Fiona&malc Sep 4th 2007 5:06 am

Re: you know your in Australia when...........

Originally Posted by Ransi (Post 5270732)
Everything you buy seems to have cheese in it...

.......even the beetroot

Ransi Sep 4th 2007 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc (Post 5270743)
.......even the beetroot

I love beetroot, but sometimes all I want is a plain tin of beans or spaggetti and all I can get is cheese or extra cheese...

St.Georges Girl Sep 4th 2007 5:31 am

Almost everything you buy has coconut in it too.....bluuurrrr

Fiona&malc Sep 4th 2007 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Ransi (Post 5270755)
I love beetroot, but sometimes all I want is a plain tin of beans or spaggetti and all I can get is cheese or extra cheese...

i know, my kids used to love the spagetti on toast but they dont like the cheesy crap you get here, i still buy the english beans, not quite the same but gotten used to them

Fiona&malc Sep 4th 2007 5:36 am

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl (Post 5270767)
Almost everything you buy has coconut in it too.....bluuurrrr

ooh i like coconut, especially in thai dishes YUM !!! im hungry now

Ransi Sep 4th 2007 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc (Post 5270774)
i know, my kids used to love the spagetti on toast but they dont like the cheesy crap you get here, i still buy the english beans, not quite the same but gotten used to them

I try to get plain watties beans if I can, they are heinz..

St.Georges Girl Sep 4th 2007 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc (Post 5270775)
ooh i like coconut, especially in thai dishes YUM !!! im hungry now

I cook with Coconut milk/Cream and creamed coconut, but cannot abide the desiccated stuff which seems to be in most cakes, biscuits and even cheesecake bases here. Believe me, I can detect it before eating them.

gedge Sep 4th 2007 5:51 am

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl (Post 5270787)
I cook with Coconut milk/Cream and creamed coconut, but cannot abide the desiccated stuff which seems to be in most cakes, biscuits and even cheesecake bases here. Believe me, I can detect it before eating them.

same here, the real deal is great in cooking but those superficial coconut filings are yuck

St.Georges Girl Sep 4th 2007 7:21 am

Originally Posted by gedge (Post 5270792)
same here, the real deal is great in cooking but those superficial coconut filings are yuck

Hi C, how's life treating you?:)

sme Sep 4th 2007 7:28 am

I can't bear the coconut in the base of cheesecake - what a waste of good cake !

The S's Sep 4th 2007 7:28 am

You know your in Australia when.........

All the whinging poms moan about the food and tv instead of understanding they are no longer in the uk and things may be different:p

Disclaimer - I hate all the asian food here as it contains friggin coconut or some other sweetener:mad:

PS- quite like the tv, I love American crime shows etc, don't know what you all miss from UK tv, enlighten me please

Sean

Exile Sep 4th 2007 7:40 am

Originally Posted by The S's (Post 5270959)

All the whinging poms moan about the food and tv instead of understanding they are no longer in the uk and things may be different:p

Sean

Sorry, but I think most of the whinging poms do understand only too well that they are no longer in the UK and that things may be different.

But in no way does this make the TV better. It's still crap.:)

The S's Sep 4th 2007 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Exile (Post 5270986)
Sorry, but I think most of the whinging poms do understand only too well that they are no longer in the UK and that things may be different.

But in no way does this make the TV better. It's still crap.:)

What is the reason for it being crap though? Whats so much better about Uk tv?
Well apart from the horrendous adverts here I give you that!!

Exile Sep 4th 2007 7:58 am

Originally Posted by The S's (Post 5271019)

It's hard to explain really, and very subjective. It just seems to be more inventive, intelligent, interesting. Much UK TV is still crap, but there seems to be more good stuff in between. Just my view.

St.Georges Girl Sep 4th 2007 8:16 am

Originally Posted by The S's (Post 5270959)

Disclaimer - I hate all the asian food here as it contains friggin coconut or some other sweetener:mad:

PS- quite like the tv, I love American crime shows etc, don't know what you all miss from UK tv, enlighten me please

Sean

If I don't understand I'm not in the UK, then I have a huge problem 'cos I've been in Oz for more than a decade. :rofl:

You know you're in Oz when you have fellow poms bleating on about whinging poms....:p

Originally Posted by The S's (Post 5271019)

It's subjective mate. I loathe American crime series/soaps/aussie dramas & the shows they pass of for comedy. See? We're all different, but then I wasn't moaning or whinging about food or tv.:sneaky: