Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Dec 25th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by sheene
There is a large expat Budgie community in the UK. They left Oz with dreams, but ended up with cages, cuttlefish and old men with pipes.
Funnily enough where i lived in England, south west London i saw far more parrots than i do now living in Melbourne. There is a massive population now in that area, they are actually becoming a pest and overtaking the local population of birds. Lots of stories about how they came to be there from being released by Jimi Hendrix to film shoots.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...alparrots.html
Old Dec 26th 2011, 5:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Funnily enough where i lived in England, south west London i saw far more parrots than i do now living in Melbourne. There is a massive population now in that area, they are actually becoming a pest and overtaking the local population of birds. Lots of stories about how they came to be there from being released by Jimi Hendrix to film shoots.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...alparrots.html
Bit like wallabies in north Sussex. When I wored for the police we often used to get reports of them being seen on various roads round the M23 and Ashdown Forest!
Old Dec 26th 2011, 5:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you meant WORKED
Yes there are Bennetts Wallabies up North, Red Necked Wallabies in several locations and also colonies in Cornwall.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bit like wallabies in north Sussex. When I wored for the police we often used to get reports of them being seen on various roads round the M23 and Ashdown Forest!
Old Dec 26th 2011, 6:04 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I'm sure you meant WORKED
Yes there are Bennetts Wallabies up North, Red Necked Wallabies in several locations and also colonies in Cornwall.
I love my iThing

Used to be funny getting phone calls from motorists about the wallabies - I remember one guy swearing he hadn't had a drink and it was only 7am but he had just passed a kangaroo on the motorway and though he was going insane
Old Dec 26th 2011, 6:26 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it would be a little disconcerting early in the morning. Someone on a different forum posting up a photo of a beaver he saw on the side of the road in Kent. Apparently they have been reintroduced.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I love my iThing

Used to be funny getting phone calls from motorists about the wallabies - I remember one guy swearing he hadn't had a drink and it was only 7am but he had just passed a kangaroo on the motorway and though he was going insane
Old Dec 26th 2011, 6:35 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes it would be a little disconcerting early in the morning. Someone on a different forum posting up a photo of a beaver he saw on the side of the road in Kent. Apparently they have been reintroduced.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 11:48 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

....a female work colleague is very upset because she saw a Kangaroo dead at the side of the road, then the following Monday is all happy because she was out Kangaroo hunting at the weekend and shot 4 of them.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 6:15 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sheene
....a female work colleague is very upset because she saw a Kangaroo dead at the side of the road, then the following Monday is all happy because she was out Kangaroo hunting at the weekend and shot 4 of them.
I went on a couple of Roo shoots and enjoyed them very much indeed.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 10:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

YkyaiAw you text friends in the UK at Midnight on 31/12 to say Happy New Year and you get the text back saying 'but it's not New Year yet.....'
Old Dec 31st 2011, 11:05 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Perthbum
I went on a couple of Roo shoots and enjoyed them very much indeed.
That is a lovely story, now, tell the class what else you did on your holidays.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 11:46 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

ykyiaw A dark haired stranger knocks on your door at midnight carrying a bbq briquette instead of a piece of coal.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 12:43 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

You can work your arse off waitressing on new years eve and not get one tip.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 12:46 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
You can work your arse off waitressing on new years eve and not get one tip.
when I first came to Aus I left tips and it was awquard as Ausies don't do tips. I guess that's cos waitresses are paid bucket loads
Old Jan 1st 2012, 12:52 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
when I first came to Aus I left tips and it was awquard as Ausies don't do tips. I guess that's cos waitresses are paid bucket loads
28 an hour - which is high for a shit job - probably as I'm in the lovely mining Town of Mackay where even people with a degree can find work. I've been tipping 10% everywhere I've been for 4 years and I damned well want it back
Old Jan 1st 2012, 12:57 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
28 an hour - which is high for a shit job - probably as I'm in the lovely mining Town of Mackay where even people with a degree can find work. I've been tipping 10% everywhere I've been for 4 years and I damned well want it back
you aint gonna get it missy so get used to it. You're in Awstraya

(you're learning)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.