Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:37 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
When your jaw drops at the sight of the amazing warm blue ocean and the stunning beaches, shimmering in the hot sun.

Just a fantastic sight you never tire of.
Well actually how do you know you are in Australia (On topic mods)
Parts of the UK have this, as does any Mediterranean country, as does most countries with a coast. Maybe some Baltic countries don't but you get where i'm coming from??
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:44 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
Parts of the UK have this, as does any Mediterranean country, as does most countries with a coast. Maybe some Baltic countries don't but you get where i'm coming from??
Yeah, credit where it is due, it could describe literally anywhere other than Geelong
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:55 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair Blackpool might not cut the mustard
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:57 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
To be fair Blackpool might not cut the mustard
Yes I think thats a given
Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:07 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm looking at buying a house .... when I'm about 65
That's the cruel truth. For most people it'll be a feat to have their house paid off before they're 65.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by paulry
That's the cruel truth. For most people it'll be a feat to have their house paid off before they're 65.
It is becoming the norm to have to pay a mortgage past the day they retire. I do feel lucky not to have to worry about this one major concern.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 10:05 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Well you must be well hard then because according to BBC weather you have had about 14 degrees today. I see friends and family in the UK and their Facebook status updates and pictures from all over the UK, Lancashire, Cambridgeshire, West Midlands, Warwickshire, Hampshire and Dorset mention it's been cooler and they have had their heating on and their photos don't have anyone wearing shorts!! The weather forecast for my old village in Cambridgeshire is due to drop to 1 degree overnight Saturday!!!
Lol 14 was warm NB working outside on building sites anything over 10 was t-shirt weather, providing there was no wind chill of course. How quickly we adapt to our conditions.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 11:47 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

YKYIAW your local free paper gets delivered by being lobbed out of a moving car onto your drive way....or close at least
Old Oct 24th 2012, 11:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
YKYIAW your local free paper gets delivered by being lobbed out of a moving car onto your drive way....or close at least
Tiddler was waiting for her bus once and the 'delivery' guy came past, didn't notice her, lobbed the paper out and just missed her. He nearly crashed when she swore at him. He did apologise.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:36 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TGA

I agree mostly apart from the UK bit, in respect of the weather, it's in general not conducive to stripping off and going for a dip, theres not much of a summer is there, with the odd spells of nice hot sunny days, which are rare, it's not that there's not nice places in the UK, it's to do with the lack of times you can enjoy them, if you are working when its nice, your chances of enjoying the rare hot days are even less, but if you have some time off in Perth, for several months, you are certain to get great weather, which makes all the difference.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cresta57
Lol 14 was warm NB working outside on building sites anything over 10 was t-shirt weather, providing there was no wind chill of course. How quickly we adapt to our conditions.
Exactly, I dont find it that cold at 14 and still work outside in shorts, it is of no concern whether others wear shorts or not. I predict I will still be wearing shorts well into November but wont be looking on FB to see if anyone else is
Old Oct 25th 2012, 10:05 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
I agree mostly apart from the UK bit, in respect of the weather, it's in general not conducive to stripping off and going for a dip, theres not much of a summer is there, with the odd spells of nice hot sunny days, which are rare, it's not that there's not nice places in the UK, it's to do with the lack of times you can enjoy them, if you are working when its nice, your chances of enjoying the rare hot days are even less, but if you have some time off in Perth, for several months, you are certain to get great weather, which makes all the difference.
The harsh reality is that once you've been here a couple of weeks you'll avoid the sun as much as possible. You'll seek out air-conditioned shopping centres to hide from the oppressive heat that zaps your strength. You'll want aircon at home because it's to hot to sleep. You'll quickly tire of applying factor 30 before you venture out for an hour in the sun.
Many of the guys here that are writing the so called negative stuff are simply giving you their experiences. I've had a couple of melanomas cut out, so have a lot of others. The sun here is harsh, quite simply it kills you if you don't take precautions. The image I posted earlier is my typical kayak attire. I wasn't joking about the gloves either, lower arm & hands are popular melanoma areas as they are always exposed.
In short you'll find you can't enjoy those precious days off because it's to hot to venture outside of your air conned McMansion.

Have a read:

Diary of a Perth Summer

August 31st
Just got transferred with work into our new home in Perth, Western Australia now this is a City that knows how to live!!
Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! I watched the sunset from a deck chair on the veranda It was beautiful. I’ve finally found my home. I love it here.

September 13th:
Really heating up. Got to 35 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I’m turning into a sun worshiper.

September 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

October 10th
The temperature hasn’t been below 35 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least today it’s kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

October 15th:
Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.
Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol’ sun in a climate like this.

October 20th:
I missed Kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car for lunch, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $3,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran away. The car now smells like Wiskettes and cat s***. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

October 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant friggin blow dryer!! And it’s hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the blink and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needed to order parts.

October 30th:
Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. Bloody $800,000 house and we can’t even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

November 4th:
It’s 38 degrees. Finally got the ol’ air-conditioner fixed today.
It cost $1,500 and gets the temperature down to 25, but the bloody humidity makes the house feel like it’s about 30. Stupid repairman. I hate this stupid friggin place.

November 8th:
If another wise arse cracks,"Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to throttle him. Friggin heat! By the time I get to work the car’s radiator was boiling over, my clothes are soakin wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

November 9th:
Tried to run some messages after work. Wore shorts, and sat on the black leather seats in the ol’ car. I thought my friggin arse was on fire. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and my arse. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried arse, and baked cat.

November 10th:
The weather report might as well be a recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and friggin sunny. It’s been too hot to do anything for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week.
Doesn’t it ever rain in this damn place? Water rationing will be next, so my $5,000 worth of palms just might dry up and blow into the pool. Even the palms can’t live in this heat.

November 14th:
Welcome to HELL!!! Temperature got to 41 today. Now the air-conditioner’s gone in my car. The repairman came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $2,500 mortgage payment to bail my arse out of jail for assaulting the stupid nut job. Stuff Perth! What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here?

December 1st:
WHAT????? This is the first day of Summer???? You are kidding!!
Old Oct 25th 2012, 10:11 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The harsh reality is that once you've been here a couple of weeks you'll avoid the sun as much as possible. You'll seek out air-conditioned shopping centres to hide from the oppressive heat that zaps your strength. You'll want aircon at home because it's to hot to sleep. You'll quickly tire of applying factor 30 before you venture out for an hour in the sun.
Many of the guys here that are writing the so called negative stuff are simply giving you their experiences. I've had a couple of melanomas cut out, so have a lot of others. The sun here is harsh, quite simply it kills you if you don't take precautions. The image I posted earlier is my typical kayak attire. I wasn't joking about the gloves either, lower arm & hands are popular melanoma areas as they are always exposed.
In short you'll find you can't enjoy those precious days off because it's to hot to venture outside of your air conned McMansion.

Have a read:

Diary of a Perth Summer

August 31st
Just got transferred with work into our new home in Perth, Western Australia now this is a City that knows how to live!!
Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! I watched the sunset from a deck chair on the veranda It was beautiful. I’ve finally found my home. I love it here.

September 13th:
Really heating up. Got to 35 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I’m turning into a sun worshiper.

September 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

October 10th
The temperature hasn’t been below 35 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least today it’s kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

October 15th:
Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol’ sun in a climate like this.

October 20th:
I missed Kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car for lunch, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $3,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran away. The car now smells like Wiskettes and cat s***. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

October 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant friggin blow dryer!! And it’s hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the blink and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needed to order parts.

October 30th:
Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. Bloody $800,000 house and we can’t even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

November 4th:
It cost $1,500 and gets the temperature down to 25, but the bloody humidity makes the house feel like it’s about 30. Stupid repairman. I hate this stupid friggin place.

November 8th:
If another wise arse cracks,"Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to throttle him. Friggin heat! By the time I get to work the car’s radiator was boiling over, my clothes are soakin wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

November 9th:
Tried to run some messages after work. Wore shorts, and sat on the black leather seats in the ol’ car. I thought my friggin arse was on fire. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and my arse. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried arse, and baked cat.

November 10th:
The weather report might as well be a recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and friggin sunny. It’s been too hot to do anything for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week.
Doesn’t it ever rain in this damn place? Water rationing will be next, so my $5,000 worth of palms just might dry up and blow into the pool. Even the palms can’t live in this heat.

November 14th:
Welcome to HELL!!! Temperature got to 41 today. Now the air-conditioner’s gone in my car. The repairman came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $2,500 mortgage payment to bail my arse out of jail for assaulting the stupid nut job. Stuff Perth! What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here?

December 1st:

Sorry for laughing Cresta - really funny read tho

Gonna publish anymore?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TGA
Dunno had a great holiday to the baltic states once. Some spectaculr coastline and beaches. Parnu for example in estonia has got a beautiful beach. Also had a fantastic time sailing in the swedish archipelago with some Danish friends once. Amazing. UK has got some spectacular coastline. In fact the UK has got 1800 miles of spectacular coastline...
Old Oct 25th 2012, 11:13 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Have a read:

Diary of a Perth Summer

August 31st

September 13th:

September 30th:

October 10th

October 15th:

October 20th:

October 25th:

October 30th:

November 4th:

November 8th:

November 9th:

November 10th:

November 14th:

December 1st:
Sounds fantastic, after donkeys years of no show summers here in the UK I can't wait to be living in the hot sunshine again. we all like different things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.