British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Are you getting a pay rise this year? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/you-getting-pay-rise-year-894968/)

Beoz May 18th 2017 12:06 pm

Re: Are you getting a pay rise this year?

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12255003)
Yes

Starting a new contract next week at a higher rate - the highest its been in 3 years. Things definitely on the up here - and about time as its been dire for too long

Also looking at freelance work in the UK for later on this year - engineering is going off over there

Whoooho. Well done. 3 years of claw back

commonwealth May 18th 2017 12:44 pm

yeah, i surprisingly got a 3% increase last month and a 11% bonus too.
sydney finance

Amazulu May 18th 2017 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12255280)
Whoooho. Well done. 3 years of claw back

It is what it is - the law of supply and demand - the only factor when it comes to what you are paid

Engineering people in Sydney would have been in the same boat. Even at its worse, I was earning more here than I could ever get in Sydney - which is a dead-zone for real project engineering

Beoz May 18th 2017 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12255337)
It is what it is - the law of supply and demand - the only factor when it comes to what you are paid

Engineering people in Sydney would have been in the same boat. Even at its worse, I was earning more here than I could ever get in Sydney - which is a dead-zone for real project engineering

Yes. Mining/Oil/Gas engineering does pay more than infrastructure engineering when the peaks are on because the return is much higher.

evets May 19th 2017 10:25 pm

No, but I did get to keep my job due to a mass cull at the office. It did involve a minor move to another country though!!!

Amazulu May 20th 2017 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12255722)
Yes. Mining/Oil/Gas engineering does pay more than infrastructure engineering when the peaks are on because the return is much higher.

And often pays more than infrastructure engineering when the troughs are on too - building services EC&I are the mud race of electrical engineering design

Beoz May 20th 2017 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12256436)
And often pays more than infrastructure engineering when the troughs are on too - building services EC&I are the mud race of electrical engineering design

Oh yes. Buildings pay poorly.

An architect with 15 years experience gets about £80k. Forget that.

carcajou May 20th 2017 10:34 am

Yes, 2.5%. Not in IT or finance.

xizzles May 21st 2017 6:57 am

No. Haven't had a pay adjustment for the past 10 years. Couldn't be happier.

Spoiler:
Corporate tax is a flat 17% after first tier exemptions (first $100,000 is tax free), expenses can be used to offset taxable revenue and dividends paid are tax-exempted.

BadgeIsBack May 22nd 2017 3:57 am

Got 2pc but always had 3pc + in the past

Cheers

Beoz May 22nd 2017 7:13 am

Mine just came in at 2.86% on the basic pay (a global standard unless you well under paid or being encouraged to leave) and 5.6% added to the bonus component. Interesting tactic.

Amazulu Jun 12th 2017 12:40 pm

Changing jobs again for about 25% more pay. I only lasted a few weeks in the other job before this offer came along

Back on a new mining project in the city after several years in an industrial estate - more nice places for lunch and loads of hot women to ogle

And it's proper engineering contractor hours too - minimum 45 hours a week. None of this namby pamby, leftie, staffie snowflake 38-40 hours. Work me until I drop but just pay me for every second of it

Things definitely on the up in WA in my gig

Beoz Jun 12th 2017 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12271176)
Changing jobs again for about 25% more pay. I only lasted a few weeks in the other job before this offer came along

Back on a new mining project in the city after several years in an industrial estate - more nice places for lunch and loads of hot women to ogle

And it's proper engineering contractor hours too - minimum 45 hours a week. None of this namby pamby, leftie, staffie snowflake 38-40 hours. Work me until I drop but just pay me for every second of it

It appears so. We have been getting a few recents calls from WA. All has been very quiet for a few years. A couple of my clients have left their jobs for better money elsewhere over there too.

Beoz Jun 15th 2017 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12271176)

Job numbers released today and I see WA has been the winner in recent times. Things are looking up over there.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/may-j...nd-wa-plunges/