Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yorkshire girl looking for work!

Yorkshire girl looking for work!

Old May 9th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all
Default Yorkshire girl looking for work!

Hi everyone -My name is Jo, I live in Yorkshire and I am moving to the Gold Coast - Robina - in October this year. I lived there for 8 months in 2005, so am familiar with the area. We have a permanent visa but my only worry is finding work. Mu hubby is a builder, so will be fine, but I am worried about finding something myself, as I have been told that there is a shortage of work. I currently work for the Council, in admin. Has anyone experienced this or can anyone offer me any advice.

Can't wait to get there, we are so excited!!!!

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.
Old May 10th 2007, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Yorkshire girl looking for work!

Originally Posted by johull
Hi everyone -My name is Jo, I live in Yorkshire and I am moving to the Gold Coast - Robina - in October this year. I lived there for 8 months in 2005, so am familiar with the area. We have a permanent visa but my only worry is finding work. Mu hubby is a builder, so will be fine, but I am worried about finding something myself, as I have been told that there is a shortage of work. I currently work for the Council, in admin. Has anyone experienced this or can anyone offer me any advice.

Can't wait to get there, we are so excited!!!!

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.
Hi Jo

Welcome to BE I'm a legal secretary with too many years of experience.... It took me a few weeks to find work, but I was limiting myself to part-time school hours, so there were less to apply for. There's loads of admin jobs here though, so you'll be fine. Just have a look at www.gcbulletin.com.au and you'll see just how many. Be prepared though for sending out loads of cv's and never hearing anything back. (Though it was just me, but have loads of people on here have experienced the same thing ) At least you're familiar with the area, so that will help you as well. Not sure if you can apply for similar to what you're doing now though as I think you need citizenship to apply for "government jobs". I've been in my job almost a year now and have just upped my hours from 18 to 24, but it still fits in with the kids, so I'm quite happy there. Best of luck! Michelle x
Old May 10th 2007, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Another good website is seek.com.au.
I'm just starting the whole having-your-resume-ignored process. I've had more fun, I have to admit.
Can also confirm that you do need to be a citizen to be employed by the commonwealth - I rang someone to check this last week. Rubbish!
Old May 10th 2007, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Thanks for that.

I sent tonnes of CV's out last time and heard nothing except from one guy who gave me an interview at Zupps near Burleigh as a receptionist - was a bit sarky and asked me what I did in Yorkshire - just drink beer as it was too cold to go out!! It was bizarre!!!

How long did it take you to find work - are you working in Robina?

I loved Robina - now I am back home I think I realise how nice it actually is. I am going to try to get my CV up to speed. Working for Bradford Council now as Senior Management Support Officer, I have worked in offices for ten years so have lots of experience, just want to have what they want - if you know what I mean. I have been adviced to get ICDL - to show I have skills - as someone told me they arent interested in experience you have in England - do you think this is true?
Old May 10th 2007, 11:21 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
I see you work for the council. Here is the link for Gold Coast Councils website there are always jobs advertised here.

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_em...=3352&mode=app
Old May 11th 2007, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that.

I sent tonnes of CV's out last time and heard nothing except from one guy who gave me an interview at Zupps near Burleigh as a receptionist - was a bit sarky and asked me what I did in Yorkshire - just drink beer as it was too cold to go out!! It was bizarre!!!

How long did it take you to find work - are you working in Robina?

I loved Robina - now I am back home I think I realise how nice it actually is. I am going to try to get my CV up to speed. Working for Bradford Council now as Senior Management Support Officer, I have worked in offices for ten years so have lots of experience, just want to have what they want - if you know what I mean. I have been adviced to get ICDL - to show I have skills - as someone told me they arent interested in experience you have in England - do you think this is true?
No, I work in Burleigh. My legal admin skills and references were definitely taken into account at my interview. You may find though that you will have to take a "lesser" role than you've been used to - certainly to start off. I had to learn new stuff, e.g. Aus legal forms, etc., but you soon get into the swing of things. Not sure about ICDL -to be honest - with 10 years experience, you'll be okay. I did an MYOB course here before I started looking for work. Waste of money really as I don't need it in this job, but it looks good when you've got a "gap" in your cv when you need to take some time out with the move, etc. to show you've been doing something inbetween. Best of luck, Jo. If you need any more help, just shout. Michelle x
Old May 14th 2007, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Michelle, I plan to do MYOB, as remember it being a request on alot of jobs, so at least if I get it its over and done with. Looking forward to getting back, but I do admit I am dreading the search for work! It is a bit soul destroying!!!

Do you live in Burleigh also - we loved it down there - the kids loved going to Big Chiefs - I have fond memories of sitting outside Oskars sipping a glass of wine at tea time while the kids played on the beach - bliss!!
Old May 14th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Michelle, I plan to do MYOB, as remember it being a request on alot of jobs, so at least if I get it its over and done with. Looking forward to getting back, but I do admit I am dreading the search for work! It is a bit soul destroying!!!

Do you live in Burleigh also - we loved it down there - the kids loved going to Big Chiefs - I have fond memories of sitting outside Oskars sipping a glass of wine at tea time while the kids played on the beach - bliss!!
No - we're in Robina. Brother lives in Burleigh Heads though, right across from the beach, the lucky thing We're moving to Mudgeeraba soon - house build depending...
Old May 14th 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

We were thinking of Mudgereeba - we lived on Camberwell Circuit before - just off Markeri Street.

My friends lives in Tallia, which is lovely but I thought may be a little isolated for the kids. Are you building on Clover Hill? We looked at it up there - it looked very nice.

I love Robina for the supermarkets and shopping centre though, so at lease Mudgereeba isnt far away.