Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yayyyyyyy, my first racist comment

Wikiposts

Yayyyyyyy, my first racist comment

Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yayyyyyyy, my first racist comment

Well guys i've been here 3 and a half years now and today i got my first nasty racist comment. Not bad eh!

Apparently us immigrants think we can come to australia and take over the place. So there ya go.

Not sure what he meant really, apart from his prime minister is welsh and his head of state is English.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all
Default Re: Yayyyyyyy, my first racist comment

well yesterday a fella nearly hit my little boy in our small little close

i was up the road but my wife saw it and had a go at him for driving like an idiot

he then tells her to fook off back to dandenong

i had to have a double take as i thought he had said back to England

dandenong....... we have the most common cockney accents going

actually gave me a giggle that
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:47 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

I had a rather heated discussion with my neighbour when he starting lopping bits of one of our trees last week, during which I said I felt bloody stupid arguing about a tree, especially one that doesn't even belong to me as we rent. He repiled "no you're not stupid, you're just a pom" (no need to read to hard between the lines for the "whinging") to which I countered "and you're a typical aussie bloke" which was meant as a kinda tongue in cheek insult - but being a typical aussie bloke he took it as a compliment... *sigh*

Seriously tho I've never had any anti-immigrant stuff said to me. Only goodness. That said, maybe some people think it's a bit unfair all the free healthcare I've had in the short time we've been here (prenatal, birth & postnatal care), but hey I'd probably secretly think the same if the boot was on the other foot
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:30 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

I'd only been in Oz for about six months and I was in a pub when I made some off the cuff remark to the barman. The bloke standing next to me immediately said 'Oh **** not another bloody whinging pom'.
I stared at him for a couple of seconds and then headbutted him full in the face.
Now, contrary to popular belief, I believe violence solves pretty much everything and even if it doesn't, it makes me feel a lot better.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Call me AL
I'd only been in Oz for about six months and I was in a pub when I made some off the cuff remark to the barman. The bloke standing next to me immediately said 'Oh **** not another bloody whinging pom'.
I stared at him for a couple of seconds and then headbutted him full in the face.
Now, contrary to popular belief, I believe violence solves pretty much everything and even if it doesn't, it makes me feel a lot better.

Old Neo Celtic habits of 'Stickin' the heid oan 'im', can sometimes be intuitive and quite often hard to break.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

"Not another bloody pom" is a sign of acceptance and welcome, so what a nice way to treat an Aussie and no wonder a lot think we are strange.

I speak like an Aussie so I know what they think and also know what is fun and what is not. Half the stuff people complain of is in jest not derision.

Lighten up and stop being ashamed of being a pom, I am not. Actually people get a shock when they realise I am one, although they only have to speak to my other half to know its a possibility.

If an Aussie does not insult you be worried they do not like you.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:48 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

me and my pal were treated like shite by an aussie supervisor fo about seven months,,not just us but most of the blokes who were poms...we were the only ones that stuck it out...

you live an learn ,we took it but if i had my time over again i would of done things different...

there are more than one way to skin a cat...!!!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:01 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Petals
"Not another bloody pom" is a sign of acceptance and welcome, so what a nice way to treat an Aussie and no wonder a lot think we are strange.

I speak like an Aussie so I know what they think and also know what is fun and what is not. Half the stuff people complain of is in jest not derision.

Lighten up and stop being ashamed of being a pom, I am not. Actually people get a shock when they realise I am one, although they only have to speak to my other half to know its a possibility.

If an Aussie does not insult you be worried they do not like you.
I get Pom cracks all the time. It's never been anything other than light hearted banter. The one and only time anybody had a serious go at me was a drunken Serb, about 75yrs old, who accused me of ruining his country... and I think he was talking about Serbia !
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I get Pom cracks all the time. It's never been anything other than light hearted banter. The one and only time anybody had a serious go at me was a drunken Serb, about 75yrs old, who accused me of ruining his country... and I think he was talking about Serbia !
Sometimes there is some mileage to be had in being the first to get in with the Pom crack. Nothing like a bit of self-deprecation... I find here that an Australian will get a glint in their eyes and then very evenly put their hands up and basically say "Not at all - not at all - you're alright - we like you guys!".
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood the idea that 'violence solves nothing' - it would be interesting to get an opinion from Hitler, Stalin, Tojo, Pol Pot, Saddam etc on this
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
Well guys i've been here 3 and a half years now and today i got my first nasty racist comment. Not bad eh!

Apparently us immigrants think we can come to australia and take over the place. So there ya go.

Not sure what he meant really, apart from his prime minister is welsh and his head of state is English.
And how is this racist?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And how is this racist?
It's not but let's not let facts get in the way of a 'chuckle against the locals'.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:49 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've never understood the idea that 'violence solves nothing' - it would be interesting to get an opinion from Hitler, Stalin, Tojo, Pol Pot, Saddam etc on this
Agree, although it's not pc. When my two boys were growing up I always told them if someone hits you, hit them back harder. Might not be nice, but it works. The kid that always gets beaten up at school is always the one that doesn't fight back.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:20 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Not racist obviously, but I got the 'comin here...takin our jobs' treatment within the first couple of months I think. Wouldn't be so bad but I was actually sitting around doing bugger all work at the time!

I also got labelled 'unaustralian' (not in a jovial sense btw for the apologists) on my very first Australia Day for failing to take part in a cane toad massacre.

This is what you get for hanging out in the Redlandshire though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.