Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Xmas Carols you don't hear in Aus.

Wikiposts

Xmas Carols you don't hear in Aus.

Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Xmas Carols you don't hear in Aus.

Reading the thread about what you miss about the UK....after all this time here I can say I miss certain Xmas Carols. Seems a silly thing to miss but personally I reckon the Xmas Music and Carols everywhere in the UK are far more prevelent than here in Aus. Which is one of the major factors for me in making Xmas a far low key and less meaningful event here in Aus.

I do miss the British Xmas but not enought to willingly fork out 4K Aud plus just to expereince one.... I'd still much rather go back in the summer months.

Heres Two Songs I cant recall hearing at all in Aus..If I have it's a rare event. .

Caviet I dont go to shopping centers very often. Certainly dont here them on the radio.

Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:24 pm
Banned

Whats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Xmas Carols you don't hear in Aus.

Havent heard this one here and certainly not this version.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Thank god I don't have to listen to the little drummer boy or little donkey- I hate them. (Little Donkey was forced on me by working at a pre-school.) The Bing Crosby/David Bowie version of drummer boy is played here, and it is truly awful.

Give me King's College Choirboys doing Adeste Fidelis any day.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 2:47 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

The little drummer boy was being played in the reception of my dentists this morning.Desperado by the Eagles was on while I had a wisdom tooth pulled.All good now and glad to have the sucker out.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 9:58 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Reading the thread about what you miss about the UK....after all this time here I can say I miss certain Xmas Carols. Seems a silly thing to miss but personally I reckon the Xmas Music and Carols everywhere in the UK are far more prevelent than here in Aus. Which is one of the major factors for me in making Xmas a far low key and less meaningful event here in Aus.

I do miss the British Xmas but not enought to willingly fork out 4K Aud plus just to expereince one.... I'd still much rather go back in the summer months.

Heres Two Songs I cant recall hearing at all in Aus..If I have it's a rare event. .

Caviet I dont go to shopping centers very often. Certainly dont here them on the radio.

Some bloke sang Little Drummer Boy on WIN's Today programme this morning...
Old Dec 19th 2011, 7:41 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

So hang on, what is a quintessentially Australian carol?

I thought they were all copied from the lands of snow and fir trees?
Old Dec 19th 2011, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Xmas Carols you don't hear in Aus.

Originally Posted by GarryP

Indeed...they are...and if they are changed, maybe it's the occasional Aussie word or two - 'Running through the snow in a rusty Holden Ute....' springs to mind..

At Southern Cross station there are a few of the old chestnuts being played/blown by a duet...blowing their own trumpets...get it...blowing their own trumpets...

We have Christmas carols every Christmas Eve and our compere (we're on the second one now since the first retired) runs through just about every known popular carol known to Christendom -with a few new ones as well.

And if he leaves any out, then I run through them at home....my wife has a bit of a titter. (I used to dread Christmas as it was yours truly who got dicked to sing 'Once in Royal David's City..' but now there is no pressure..)
Old Dec 19th 2011, 9:55 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Our mob has been discussing a caroling outing... with one particular set of neighbours we would like to sing to.

Background: The kids went trick or treating at halloween (knowing there were other kids in the house they went to) and the grumpy father came to the door and yelled at the kids "you've got the wrong house".

So we thought we'd go and sing a range of different carols with the same lyrics over and over...

ie: (To the tune of Noel...) "Wrong house, wrong house, wrong house..."

You get the idea.

See... the spirit of Christmas is alive and well here in lovely Ostraylear.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

There's a few of them now, some derivative, some not. Of course the European and American carols are popular. Here's a sample:

http://australianfolk.blogspot.com/2...-lp-1960s.html
Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Our mob has been discussing a caroling outing... with one particular set of neighbours we would like to sing to.

Background: The kids went trick or treating at halloween (knowing there were other kids in the house they went to) and the grumpy father came to the door and yelled at the kids "you've got the wrong house".

So we thought we'd go and sing a range of different carols with the same lyrics over and over...

ie: (To the tune of Noel...) "Wrong house, wrong house, wrong house..."

You get the idea.

See... the spirit of Christmas is alive and well here in lovely Ostraylear.
LOL.... I"d love to see carolers once more. I'd even drop the old nusiance factor with a smile. Cant ever recall hearing "Once in Royal David's City" either. Maybe I'm going to the wrong places.

Certainly heard Kevin Bloody Wilsons version a lot.... Santa you ****
Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.... I"d love to see carolers once more. I'd even drop the old nusiance factor with a smile. Cant ever recall hearing "Once in Royal David's City" either. Maybe I'm going to the wrong places.

Certainly heard Kevin Bloody Wilsons version a lot.... Santa you ****
My local shopping centre had them last weekend. They were going round the centre singing all sorts of stuff.

They were even letting the little kids join in. Saw this one little girl about 5 or 6 and she was singing along to Jingle Bells. She knew every word bless her - so cute.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy
My local shopping centre had them last weekend. They were going round the centre singing all sorts of stuff.

They were even letting the little kids join in. Saw this one little girl about 5 or 6 and she was singing along to Jingle Bells. She knew every word bless her - so cute.
Everytime I go to Adelaide it feels like every third person has a UK accent. Maybe it's because I'm mostly going for the Football ? It was even like that at that festival thing they have though.

Maybe thats a factor Wends ?

Yay you've brought John Kosmina back.... More entertainment for us Melburnians

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 19th 2011 at 11:04 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Everytime I go to Adelaide it feels like every third person has a UK accent. Maybe it's because I'm mostly going for the Football ? It was even like that at that festival thing they have though.

Maybe thats a factor Wends ?

Yay you've brought John Kosmina back.... More entertainment for us Melburnians

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CyldpnfTc6I
UK people are usually found in groups. So yes, you do get pockets of area's where the English seem to like living. Mostly down south near the beaches though

The shopping centre I was in at Tea Tree Plaza isn't that English that I've noticed. I do hear the odd English accent, but not that much.

The singers were definitely all Aussie ladies, except for one Chinese lady that is.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy
UK people are usually found in groups. So yes, you do get pockets of area's where the English seem to like living. Mostly down south near the beaches though

The shopping centre I was in at Tea Tree Plaza isn't that English that I've noticed. I do hear the odd English accent, but not that much.

The singers were definitely all Aussie ladies, except for one Chinese lady that is.
Heh I reckon everyone in that Chocolate shop originated in the UK the day I was there... Like a bleeding convention it was
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Heh I reckon everyone in that Chocolate shop originated in the UK the day I was there... Like a bleeding convention it was

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.