Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you let your kid sleep in an igloo?

Would you let your kid sleep in an igloo?

Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you let your kid sleep in an igloo?

Just wondering.

Last year when we went to the snow I built an igloo. One of the kids wanted to sleep in it overnight but I thought No. Actually I said No. What I thought was a picture of some bint on Today Tonight describing how some idiot left their kid in an igloo overnight and found him stiff as a board in the morning.

So what would you do?

PS: Hoping to build an even bigger one this year now I've got the technique sussed.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:41 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you let your kid sleep in an igloo?

I can truthfully say that in the whole of my life I ave never asked myself that question.

Now its late, I am still running on the adrenalin of the super screamer match I went to today and now I have to deal with this. Pah....
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Just wondering.

Last year when we went to the snow I built an igloo. One of the kids wanted to sleep in it overnight but I thought No. Actually I said No. What I thought was a picture of some bint on Today Tonight describing how some idiot left their kid in an igloo overnight and found him stiff as a board in the morning.

So what would you do?

PS: Hoping to build an even bigger one this year now I've got the technique sussed.
With a decent sleeping bag and a thermal mat (one of those normally blue-coloured spongy things) I don't see a problem.

And since you're making a bigger one this year why don't you sleep in there with him?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:25 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

How old is the "kid"?

Is he/she 1, 15, 21?.....

I would let them sleep in an igloo depending if he/she was old enough to
a) Know how cold it was and was able to go home/leave the igloo to find somewhere warmer if it was too cold in the night
b) If the child was big enough that should the igloo collapse, he/she could get out and this possibility wouldn't harm them
c) If the child was able to defend themselves / were safe enough if a loon of any kind decided to sleep in there with them as you can never put anything past people these days

Basically, I'd be inclined to sleep in with them if they were too young and it would be great to experience something different. Alternatively, sod the snow and find a 5* posh hotel and throw them in the pool
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

It's fine, honestly. All children in Canada sleep in igloos ....
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:34 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Yes, but they're inuit igloo's not aboriginal igloo's
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:45 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Yes, but they're inuit igloo's not aboriginal igloo's
Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

If I use logic then I have no problems. The child is 10 going on 11. Last year I built the igloo right outside the front door of the place we stay in. The door to the place is unlocked so he could get into the warm house at any time. We have a sleeping bag that's rated down to -20 (or something like that) which should be enough. It's in Aus' lowest crime post code. I could give him a walkie talkie and a baby alarm.

But then I start thinking about the possible headlines

I have thought about being in there myself but then I start thinking headlines again. "Father in son found frozen in igloo. What was he thinking?". Also I don't really want to sleep in an igloo when there's a nice comfy bed a few metres away.

Thinking it through. I should just wait a few years until he's about 14/15
Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:54 pm
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Thinking it through. I should just wait a few years until he's about 14/15
What - so he can sleep in there with his girlfriend? What are you thinking?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 22B
What - so he can sleep in there with his girlfriend? What are you thinking?
Well now I'm thinking, "Man lets son and his girlfriend freeze to death in igloo!".
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:06 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
where ya get that idea ?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
where ya get that idea ?
Well, it's where I put my two to bed every night. Is that not right then ?

Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:42 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Give the kid an hour the novelty will wear off and he will be inside wanting hot chocolate and a warm (dry bed).

Spent 2 nights in a snow cave and believe me the novelty wears off pretty quickly

If he does persist ensure you get some branches and create a barrier between floor and his sleeping bag (ideally use a stretcher). And make sure there is ventilation.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Give the kid an hour the novelty will wear off and he will be inside wanting hot chocolate and a warm (dry bed).

Spent 2 nights in a snow cave and believe me the novelty wears off pretty quickly

If he does persist ensure you get some branches and create a barrier between floor and his sleeping bag (ideally use a stretcher). And make sure there is ventilation.
That's useful
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:48 am
Account Closed

Apparently it's snowing in Hotham (20cm).

I know it won't last but it's still exciting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.