Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would it be sheer lunacy to travel to the UK with 3 small children?

Would it be sheer lunacy to travel to the UK with 3 small children?

Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would it be sheer lunacy to travel to the UK with 3 small children?

Planning a business trip back to the UK and am wondering if it would be sheer lunacy to take husband and three small boys ( 4,3,1yr old?)

Anyone done it? Our trip over here 3 years ago seems a dark and distant memory (one child who was 17 months at the time and slept the whole journey )

Just reading that back and obviously it would be sheer lunacy to attempt said journey without husband!!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would it be sheer lunacy to travel to the UK with 3 small children?

Don't see why unless they are all uncontrollable evil devils 24/7 who do entirely what they want when they want. Only you know your kids, so only you can decide.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

We have travveled the world with our children who are now 14/8/7 and 4 never a problem
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rocket01
We have travveled the world with our children who are now 14/8/7 and 4 never a problem
Same with me - mine are now 13/10/8..... Pack loads of things to keep them busy, be prepared to play games, read stories etc and you will be fine
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

We managed with 5 kids including baby and toddler. Chloroform, gags and hand cuffs are your friends
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Only had two kids but travelled on my own with them both back home many times when they were little. Two adults to three kids - should be a doddle
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

As long as ypu are well organised and prepared and Im sure you will be fine.Im sure a couple of Gins wont go astray either.(for you,not the kids)
Old May 1st 2008, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers all, they're lovely little lads and the two eldest would be beside themselves with excitement. I think the overdose of adrenalin would wear off and then they'd sleep well. It's just the youngest.....starting walking so never wants to stay still. It'll be fine
Old May 1st 2008, 10:03 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

The question is - lunacy for who?

Your kids can't really get into any trouble (e.g., can't run out in to the road, can't climb into the fridge-freezer), so your only real worry is them annoying other folk..... and given that I'm not on the same flight as you (when is it again?), then how much do you care?

We flew out when DS was 4 months and we were paranoid about noise and smells. When we were standing in immigration t'other end, 3 or 4 grannies came up and said 'oh, I wish you'd given him to us - we would have loved a cuddle' - I nearly throttled them, but instead said 'here, all yours while I collect my luggage'.

So - I say go for it - I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about

I have travelled long haul a couple of times with 3 kids on my own. The youngest I give phenegen to (I know some says it has the reverse affect but did work as a sedative and sent her to sleep). Basically, they can't go anywhere and just be organised with games etc. Good luck and go for it!
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

We've travelled three times now to Oz and several times with the Kids to America. The first time to Oz ours were nearly 2 (no seat) ,5 and 7. They were great, no drugs just great air hosteses, loads to do and a good old night flight meant that after the initial excitement they all slept. I'd say take them and don't worry they'll be kids worse behaved than yours i'll guarantee