Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wot about the footy ?

Wikiposts

Wot about the footy ?

Old Jun 7th 2006, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wot about the footy ?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
...except when it's winning dozens of medals in the Olympics (regularly appearing in the top 5 nations, far above the UK; we were 4th in 2004; you were a predictable 10th) and kicking the hell out of everyone (Canada and British nations included) in the Commonwealth Games.

Yeah. Apart from those times.

BTW, the USA has seven different Aussie Rules Football leagues and its own Australian Rules Football Association. Canada has two AFL leagues; here's the Ontario League site, by way of example.

So much for Aussie rules failing to establish "a reasonably sized league in at least one other country."
What, AFL Canada has 15 clubs in total !!! You are kidding me (ROFL). Great example of AFL making a HUGE imapct, thanks for that. Sorry about the American Leagues, must have missed the TV coverage it gets the last 10 times I have been to the States .

Touch a nerve with the Sporting Nation thing ?? Try and be a bit more predictable when responding . It is one of the great myths, along with "Australia is a better place to bring up kids". When you have to quote Olympic and Commonwealth Games records to cover the fact that the average Aussie cannot drag their sorry arse outside to actually play one of their most popular spectator sports, then I'll take it you are conceding the point.

Last edited by BenandPam; Jun 7th 2006 at 5:46 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 6:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Wot about the footy ?

Originally Posted by BenandPam
What, AFL Canada has 15 clubs in total !!! You are kidding me (ROFL). Great example of AFL making a HUGE imapct, thanks for that. Sorry about the American Leagues, must have missed the TV coverage it gets the last 10 times I have been to the States
Changing the goal posts already? First it was "AFL League in at least one other nation", now all of a sudden it's "Canada only has 15 leagues in total" (which is wrong anyway; America has 15 leagues in total, but your lack of basic numerical skills is forgiven.)

Now you're angry because I proved you wrong, so you're foaming at the mouth.

It really is most entertaining.

Touch a nerve with the Sporting Nation thing ??
Not in the slighest; I don't even play or follow AFL myself, so it's no skin of my nose.

Try and be a bit more predictable when responding It is one of the great myths, along with "Australia is a better place to bring up kids".
Australia is indeed a great sporting nation, for reasons other than those which I have already listed.

I'll ignore the crack about Australia being a better place to bring up kids, since there's no convincing a bigot.

When you have to quote Olympic and Commonwealth Games records to cover the fact that the average Aussie cannot drag their sorry arse outside to actually play one of their most popular spectator sports, then I'll take it you are conceding the point.
Oh dear, you really cocked that one up, didn't you?

I wasn't trying to "cover" anything, not least because I have nothing to concede because I hadn't made any sort of claim about the viewing figures of AFL in Australia to begin with, nor did I claim that AFL has had a huge impact outside Australia!

I referred to the Olympics and Commonwealth Games in response to your crack about the "great sporting nation", by way of proving that that yes, we are indeed a great sporting nation - and rightly proud of it.

Did I touch a raw nerve with our tremendous sporting prowess? Getting a bit tired of being totally outclassed by Australia in the Olympics and Commonwealth Games, are you?

Bloody glad to hear it.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Changing the goal posts already? First it was "AFL League in at least one other nation", now all of a sudden it's "Canada only has 15 leagues in total" (which is wrong anyway; America has 15 leagues in total, but your lack of basic numerical skills is forgiven.)
Read my post again and spot your mistake, I said 15 clubs not leagues, it is even in the piece you quoted .

Bigot ??? Care to back that one up or withdraw it ??? Big claim don't you think ?? You went down in my estimation with that one, thought you were better than that.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 8:16 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
"Hey look everybody, Einstein has been reincarnated and is posting really clever stuff on British Expats ! Shhh, let's wait and see if he can say something else to astound and entertain us."

"Oh, wait, no he's just spouting sh*te."
Fantastic!

What was it you were saying about, "people with nothing to say who resort to personal attacks"?
You're tying yourself up in knots here!
I love it when the hard of thinking try to argue a point.
This is quality dimness. Keep it up...
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:39 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Come on let's all be friends, no need for personal attacks or my game is better than yours type arguments. I am sure we can all agree that AFL is crap and be done with it?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wife Beater
Come on let's all be friends, no need for personal attacks or my game is better than yours type arguments. I am sure we can all agree that AFL is crap and be done with it?
**** off
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:47 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
**** off
No, you **** off.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wife Beater
No, you **** off.
Right...that's it

meet you on the terraces !
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:00 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

What is it about mentioning this game that brings out the worst in people? Some people don't like it - fine but why go on and on and on and on about it? Something isn't crap because you don't like it. I don't like test cricket but I'm smart enough to realise there are lots of people out there that love it. I wouldn't stand up in a pub and tell everybody how crap the sport is and argue anybody who disagrees down by calling them names and quoting figures about how many countries it isn't played in.

This place gets more like a schoolyard every day And this thread has more than run it's course ......