Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wot about the footy ?

Wikiposts

Wot about the footy ?

Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wot about the footy ?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I must admit that I thought Aussie Rules was less skillful until I played a couple of games.
I am sure I would look like a complete numpty trying to play it. It is just that for me, the skill involved doesn't come across well enough when I have watched it (both live and on TV) to make it interesting.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:43 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Say something sensible or don't say anything.
My point entirely!
You're finally catching on. Nice one.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure I would look like a complete numpty trying to play it. It is just that for me, the skill involved doesn't come across well enough when I have watched it (both live and on TV) to make it interesting.
Personally I find the Soccer requires more skill to score but Aus Rules requires more skill to move the ball about.

PS: on the watching/TV thing, I found the same with motor racing. I never realiased how hard it was until I had a go myself.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jun 7th 2006 at 12:47 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
My point entirely!
You're finally catching on. Nice one.
"Hey look everybody, Einstein has been reincarnated and is posting really clever stuff on British Expats ! Shhh, let's wait and see if he can say something else to astound and entertain us."

"Oh, wait, no he's just spouting sh*te."
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:01 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly my point, I couldn't give 2 tosses for the game, and it appears nor could the rest of the World. Given that it has been around for donkey's ages, Aussie Rules has absolutely failed to make people in other countries say "Wow, this sport is fantastic. I love the way those blokes with 80's style cap sleeve shirts and dodgy hair play such an interesting stop/start game that involves scoring through an area the size of most other sport's pitches. The singing of a ridiculous 50's style song to round it all off really makes it special".

If it was such a great sport, it has had more than enough time to establish a reasonable size league in at least one other country. When there are so many other choices, it simply isn't interesting enough to watch. People vote with their feet and they aren't rushing to watch Aussie Rules.

Given that Aussie Rules is one of the most popular spectator sports in Australia, the low level of actual participation is amusing. In it's desperation to be like America, is Australia producing a nation of sports fans who are happy to sit in front of their big screen TV's, but can't shift their fat arses to actually get out there and kick a ball about ? The Great Sporting Nation thing is an absolute joke.

In the grand scheme of things, Aussie Rules can be seen as a bit of a joke. I would rather watch Gaelic Football; at least they still have a goal to score in which requires a degree of skill.
Why does it have to be a worldwide sport? It's called Australian Rules Football not World Rules Football, whats the great facination with having it played round the world?

If your reason for hating it are those that you have stated above such as what players wear and songs they sing then really thats just plain sad, it's sad that you can't see past the packaging and appreciate whats underneath. If you really hate the game that much then why let it get you so uptight? I must admit i don't care for cricket, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game or that its a game that should be abolished, it's just a game that many people love and i'd prefer not to watch.

From what i've read your knowledge of football and especially it's particiapation at local level is negligable at most.

Now go and enjoy the world cup and whtever other sports you enjoy watching or playing and leave football to those of us who understand it and enjoy it, because despite what you may believe that are many of us.

Lynn
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Why does it have to be a worldwide sport? It's called Australian Rules Football not World Rules Football, whats the great facination with having it played round the world?

I didn't say it has to be a worldwide sport, simply that if it was as great a spectacle as I am constantly being told, then it would generate more interest around the World.

If your reason for hating it are those that you have stated above such as what players wear and songs they sing then really thats just plain sad, it's sad that you can't see past the packaging and appreciate whats underneath. If you really hate the game that much then why let it get you so uptight? I must admit i don't care for cricket, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game or that its a game that should be abolished, it's just a game that many people love and i'd prefer not to watch.

You used the word hate, I didn't (try actually reading what people have written ). I was responding to those people who don't like football because apparently "Oh and a lot of girly screaming cos someone kicked their shin pad and messed their hair up. I quote.... "a game for wogs and sheilas". I take it that you don't find those views sad at all then ? I am most amused that a couple of people think I am getting "uptight" about this. I am sat here finding it quite funny.

From what i've read your knowledge of football and especially it's particiapation at local level is negligable at most.

"From "The Threat of Soccer" article,

"This may sound controversial but it's not when you look at the figures. We are a nation of only 20 million people. Of those, only 417,000 play Australian football. As discussed above, due to the inclusion of Auskick numbers this figure is misleading. Take the Auskick numbers away - 112,000 - and we have only 305,000 people playing our national game."
Did you even read this . Are you saying that these figures are wrong, and that because you have seen a few kids playing locally that you know better ? You seem to be the one with negligable knowledge.

Now go and enjoy the world cup and whtever other sports you enjoy watching or playing and leave football to those of us who understand it and enjoy it, because despite what you may believe that are many of us.

Lynn
See above
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting dizzy!!!!!!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:29 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
I'm getting dizzy!!!!!!
Stop spinning round on your office chair
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Stop spinning round on your office chair

Its not the office chair thats making me dizzy!!

Although back in my very first job, at christmas parties we would have swivel chair races around the office!! Had to stand up on them and attempt to propel them around while incredibly pissed!!

Ahhh...the days before Occ Health & Safety!!!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:40 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

See above
No i didn't read the article, because basically i don't see the point, you can spout quotes and figures all day but i prefer the reality of what i see week in week out, and that is many people playing and enjoying and even more watching and enjoying, which is after all what sport is all about.

I am obviously never going to convert anyone to my way of thinking, I have no facts and figure to spout, just hands on experience of how it is where i live and to me that counts for quite a bit.

Changing the subject though.... i know a couple of kids here from Pom families who haven't been allowed to join the local club because their parents have said that aussie rules is not english enough foir their kids to play.....

Lynn
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:41 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

You're not spinning fast enough

You shouldn't be allowed to stand on chairs in swivel chair races. That must be an AFL thing and not a good clean game of soccer chair swivelling
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by movetoperth
No i didn't read the article, because basically i don't see the point, you can spout quotes and figures all day but i prefer the reality of what i see week in week out, and that is many people playing and enjoying and even more watching and enjoying, which is after all what sport is all about.

I am obviously never going to convert anyone to my way of thinking, I have no facts and figure to spout, just hands on experience of how it is where i live and to me that counts for quite a bit.

Changing the subject though.... i know a couple of kids here from Pom families who haven't been allowed to join the local club because their parents have said that aussie rules is not english enough foir their kids to play.....

Lynn
Fair enough, if you want to play the "you don't know what you are talking about, la la la la..I am not listening" game that's fine.

And I can quite understand any parents wanting to give their kids a decent start in life not letting them play Aussie Rules
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:59 pm
Breeding little aussies

Although back in my very first job, at christmas parties we would have swivel chair races around the office!! Had to stand up on them and attempt to propel them around while incredibly pissed!!

Ahhh...the days before Occ Health & Safety!!!

Hels

we used to have office chair charriot racing, 1 staff member roped to the chair pulling the chair with someone else on it gladiator style, great fun, but that was a usual friday afternoon not just reserved for office parties.

Lynn
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:54 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

And I can quite understand any parents wanting to give their kids a decent start in life not letting them play Aussie Rules
I'm with you, I can fully understand it being a bit rough for them.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 4:28 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Wot about the footy ?

The Great Sporting Nation thing is an absolute joke.
...except when it's winning dozens of medals in the Olympics (regularly appearing in the top 5 nations, far above the UK; we were 4th in 2004; you were a predictable 10th) and kicking the hell out of everyone (Canada and British nations included) in the Commonwealth Games.

Yeah. Apart from those times.

BTW, the USA has seven different Aussie Rules Football leagues and its own Australian Rules Football Association. Canada has two AFL leagues; here's the Ontario League site, by way of example.

So much for Aussie rules failing to establish "a reasonably sized league in at least one other country."

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jun 7th 2006 at 4:35 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.