Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wot about the footy ?

Wikiposts

Wot about the footy ?

Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:18 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wot about the footy ?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The Aussies are happy to call Aussie Rules - football or footy, Rugby League - football or footy and Soccer - football or footy. Why do the English get so upset about this?
They can call it what they like, I just don't like comments like it's real football and not soccer, hth
Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard it reported many times (since the early 90s) that the higher participation in soccer in the US means that soccer will become bigger than gridiron. It hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will ever happen. I think the same will happen in Aus. I previously said that the game will become more popular (and I agree the A-league has started well) but I reckon it is too early to write the obituary for the current major codes (Aus Rules and League).

I agree that the increased participation will lead to more international players (like the US) and an improvement of Australia's performance in international competitions (like the US) - that was one of the points I made in my last post.

The quote from the APFA is suspect (as you said) because it does not mention Netball. Also it's ranking is a bit like saying Cricket is not a major sport in England because it has a low participation across Europe.

I too would like to see less Aus Rules on the TV but I would not like to see it replaced by wall to wall soccer. There's much to be said for a bit of variety in life.

Mas nada disto será o que quer que seja...
Actually, netball is nowhere near the size in terms of participation, only 454,900 participants according to a 2002 study.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Actually, netball is nowhere near the size in terms of participation, only 454,900 participants according to a 2002 study.
And what number did that study give for soccer?
Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels
Have you managed to get tickets to see Robbie yet?

Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

Have you managed to get tickets to see Robbie yet?

Why yes....yes I have!!!

<notice that woke me up>
Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:11 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
No you don't get a lot do you? It's football not soccer, the Aussies are campaigning for it themselves, in fact i've seen socceroos shirts with it written on.

Facts speak for themselves one is game loved universally the other a game loved in Victoria.

Believe me there is more skill involved in football, do you really think those earning a living in AFL are skillful enough to play football, if they were they would be playing it and earning up to $250000 a week.

Don't talk to me like a haven't got a clue what i'm talking about, I'm quite aware of the skill involved in playing soccer, I held a season ticket for years, i also played for years, i am not some bimbo who has just thought it would be fun to post here and talk rubbish. I also know that when i lived in then uk i calledit football, but here in Australia it saves comfusion amongs my friends if i call it soccer.

I didn;t menrion skill i mentioned fitness, completely different things. There is skill involved in all things, if you are skillful then you will be good at it if you are not then you wont, also just because you are skilled at one thing doesn't mean you are skilled in another. To say that players playing one game are more skilled than players playing another game is rubbish. I came very close to representing my country in a sport i enjoyed and was skilled at, this doesn't mean i would have come close in any other sport.

People who earn a living at sport are bloody good at it and work bloody hard at it whatever the sport and deserve respect for that.

There is no reason why people can't enjoy both sports for what they both offer which is a completely different type of entertainment. In my case i enjoy both but if there was a clash of games i'd fall on the side of football

That is the last i'll say oin the subject as I'm supposed to be avoiding stress at the moment.

Lynn
Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Don't talk to me like a haven't got a clue what i'm talking about, I'm quite aware of the skill involved in playing soccer, I held a season ticket for years, i also played for years, i am not some bimbo who has just thought it would be fun to post here and talk rubbish. I also know that when i lived in then uk i calledit football, but here in Australia it saves comfusion amongs my friends if i call it soccer.

I didn;t menrion skill i mentioned fitness, completely different things. There is skill involved in all things, if you are skillful then you will be good at it if you are not then you wont, also just because you are skilled at one thing doesn't mean you are skilled in another. To say that players playing one game are more skilled than players playing another game is rubbish. I came very close to representing my country in a sport i enjoyed and was skilled at, this doesn't mean i would have come close in any other sport.

People who earn a living at sport are bloody good at it and work bloody hard at it whatever the sport and deserve respect for that.

There is no reason why people can't enjoy both sports for what they both offer which is a completely different type of entertainment. In my case i enjoy both but if there was a clash of games i'd fall on the side of football

That is the last i'll say oin the subject as I'm supposed to be avoiding stress at the moment.

Lynn

Karma sent
Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Why yes....yes I have!!!

<notice that woke me up>
Robbie likes a bit of football. He can't stand Aussie Rules though
Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

Robbie likes a bit of football. He can't stand Aussie Rules though

Thats ok, cause its not football (of any code) that I wanna play with, with him
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:55 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Lynn
They wont be any fitter than footballers, as for you playing football surely that was with women, not the same thing is it now
Old Jun 5th 2006, 9:49 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

why does it have to be one or the other? Thats what i can't understand about all the great soccer fans on here, they can't abide football and seem to see those who follow football as inferior or insulting to soccer, why can't both be supported alongside each other.

Lynn
Exactly!

I supported, (and still do support) Rangers all my life.
I was a Rangers season ticket holder for 7 years.

I now live in Australia, and I love the game of Aussie Rules.
So much so that I'm now into my third year as a season ticket holder
with Fremantle.
I doesn't mean though that I now all of a sudden hate Association Football.
I love both games.

I agree with Lynn. Why do some BE people feel that the have to continually slag off Aussie Rules for no apparent reason?
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you do actually. Quote "a game for wogs and sheilas" and I am frequently told it is called "wogball", so they manage to moan about it and be racist at the same time ..
I hope you weren't insinuating that i am racist. I was meerly quoting something that i had heard as i flicked to TV on at the end of 60 minutes, Infact I'd never heard it before Sunday night. Ever. (it made me laugh though!) FWIW I still haven't come to terms with the words Wog's
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Robbie likes footballers. He can't stand Aussie Rules though
Tell us something we dont know
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:58 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

That is my rant almost over except to say one last thing, this is Australia, football means Australian Rules Football, the other game is referred to as soccer, thats just the way it is.

Lynn
What? You mean like as in "The Socceroos" then

Its just to keep it less confusing AFL and League are also called footy. It just makes things a hell of a lot easier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.