Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Visa - Advice Please?

Wikiposts

Working Holiday Visa - Advice Please?

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

UKPlay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday Visa - Advice Please?

Thanks for reading.....i've read a lot of posts on here and have managed to get some really good advice. I've just got a couple of concerns about the WHV (sorry if they repeat some of the other posts on here).

My girlfriend and I are looking to come to Oz early in 2009 on WHV's, though we are looking at it in slightly different ways at the moment and can't quite agree on how to do it. She is keen to move to Sydney and get a 'good' job there, find a place to live and set up a home for a year. I would rather save up a little longer and backpack around Oz, spending a bit of time in each place (possibly doing some low paid work if needed).

From researching the WHV's I understand they are designed more for people travelling and it limits what type of employment you can realistically find (especially in the current economic climate). If i'm travelling/backpacking, then doing the odd few days fruit picking would be great. If we are trying to 'live' in Sydney, rent accommodation and trying to live a similar standard of living to what we currently do in the UK, then i'm not sure we could afford to do this on the types of employment that are readily available to people in Oz on WHV's. We both have decent jobs in the UK, which i'm happy to give up to have fun in Oz, but not so happy to go Oz to struggle trying to replicate our lives now (but with the sun etc, beaches, sports etc.) Maybe I am wrong - any advice? I also understand that there is a 6 month limit on how long you can work, so if we are renting that could be a problem....as could finding work initially. I would much rather spend any hard earned cash on seeing the country.

So does anyone have any thoughts on:

- What types of work we can realistically expect to get with WHV's and would this be enough to set up ourselves up there (rather than backpacking)?
- Are there many jobs out there for people on WHV's?
- Is rented accommodation expensive in Sydney and is it easy to find?

Any other advice, thoughts or past experiences would be welcome
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:05 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa - Advice Please?

When I did the working holiday thing the main restriction was a 3 month limit. The type of work was irrelevant. People worked in IT, investment banking, marketing, accounting etc and some were sponsored to a 457.

It was more the time limit that limited the type of work. Work suited to contracting is obviously the best.

Rented accomodation is cheap compared to London.

Wages depend on the type of work.

Originally Posted by UKPlay
Thanks for reading.....i've read a lot of posts on here and have managed to get some really good advice. I've just got a couple of concerns about the WHV (sorry if they repeat some of the other posts on here).

My girlfriend and I are looking to come to Oz early in 2009 on WHV's, though we are looking at it in slightly different ways at the moment and can't quite agree on how to do it. She is keen to move to Sydney and get a 'good' job there, find a place to live and set up a home for a year. I would rather save up a little longer and backpack around Oz, spending a bit of time in each place (possibly doing some low paid work if needed).

From researching the WHV's I understand they are designed more for people travelling and it limits what type of employment you can realistically find (especially in the current economic climate). If i'm travelling/backpacking, then doing the odd few days fruit picking would be great. If we are trying to 'live' in Sydney, rent accommodation and trying to live a similar standard of living to what we currently do in the UK, then i'm not sure we could afford to do this on the types of employment that are readily available to people in Oz on WHV's. We both have decent jobs in the UK, which i'm happy to give up to have fun in Oz, but not so happy to go Oz to struggle trying to replicate our lives now (but with the sun etc, beaches, sports etc.) Maybe I am wrong - any advice? I also understand that there is a 6 month limit on how long you can work, so if we are renting that could be a problem....as could finding work initially. I would much rather spend any hard earned cash on seeing the country.

So does anyone have any thoughts on:

- What types of work we can realistically expect to get with WHV's and would this be enough to set up ourselves up there (rather than backpacking)?
- Are there many jobs out there for people on WHV's?
- Is rented accommodation expensive in Sydney and is it easy to find?

Any other advice, thoughts or past experiences would be welcome
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:04 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

you dont say what type of work you both do?

from the bare bones you sound more realistic than your girlfriend. If your plans are based on getting a good job you may very well have a negative time here. However if they are based on traveling around and picking up some work here and there you almost certainly wont be disappointed
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:17 am
Just Joined

UKPlay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice thus far.....

I work in property and she works as a teacher and also has some office experience. Her ideal plan is to set up in Sydney, i.e. living/renting and working there. My ideal plan is to travel around the country without getting tied into contracts and having to work to pay rent.

I've done some initial research through some Oz job agencies (who seem to have a very bad rep?) and i've been told that I because of the WHV and the lack of jobs.....I can only expect to work casuallu as a fruit picker or in a call centre. Is this true? I'm not sure this type of work (when/if we could get employed) would be sufficient for supporting us in setting up properly for a year. It seems it is more suited to travellers/backpacking.....which is why I am keener on this idea.....and it sounds way more fun anyway!

Your advice would be welcome on what we should expect job wise with a WHV