Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Unpaid speeding fine in U.K.

Unpaid speeding fine in U.K.

Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Llewellyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unpaid speeding fine in U.K.

I live in Australia with dual citizenship. Four years ago I copped a speeding fine in the UK. Notice was forwarded to me by the car hire company (they charged 20 pounds to do that!). I meant to pay it but never got around to it. Now I'm going back to U.K. for a visit and want to pay the fine but can't find it. Am I likely to be hauled up at Immigration when I arrived? Anyone had a similar experience? What is the best thing to do?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unpaid speeding fine in U.K.

Originally Posted by Llewellyn
I live in Australia with dual citizenship. Four years ago I copped a speeding fine in the UK. Notice was forwarded to me by the car hire company (they charged 20 pounds to do that!). I meant to pay it but never got around to it. Now I'm going back to U.K. for a visit and want to pay the fine but can't find it. Am I likely to be hauled up at Immigration when I arrived? Anyone had a similar experience? What is the best thing to do?
You won't get arrested at immigration over a speeding fine.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:19 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
You won't get arrested at immigration over a speeding fine.

Cheers

Steve
And my guess is it'll probably be quashed by now.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Nooooo Don't go back, they will march you off to the tower and make you do pennance for your misdeed
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks for prompt replies lonndongeek and paulry - I've been really stressing here - I fly over next week! With all the computer link-ups nowadays I'm wondering if they actually link such things to the immigration database? I copped it in a roadworks area, on the motorways I was always in the slow lane. I'll be VERY careful not to speed while I'm over there!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:30 am
Just Joined

Awww mickmay, I want to visit the Tower again - does that mean I get a free entry?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:37 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for prompt replies lonndongeek and paulry - I've been really stressing here - I fly over next week! With all the computer link-ups nowadays I'm wondering if they actually link such things to the immigration database? I copped it in a roadworks area, on the motorways I was always in the slow lane. I'll be VERY careful not to speed while I'm over there!
Yes, go careful mate . As far as I understand, the UK is not as bad as Australia in regard to speed enforcement but it's getting there. A main word of advice is if you reach roadworks, make sure that you especially comply with those speed limits because they are monitored very strictly. We also have average speed checks - not sure if you have those in Australia?

Enjoy your UK hols
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Just curious - but do you think you could get out of the 20 pound charge by the car hire company? Tell them to justify how it cost them 20 pounds to forward the letter on to you?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
We also have average speed checks - not sure if you have those in Australia?
The revenue collectors (aka the police) are talking about bringing them in here.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Awww mickmay, I want to visit the Tower again - does that mean I get a free entry?
Yes and if you cause them too much trouble you'll be raven fodder
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The revenue collectors (aka the police) are talking about bringing them in here.
Actually, once you get used to them they're not too bad because the traffic maintains a steady speed with no more of the stop-starts which are a characteristic of the old Gatsos.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:18 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, since July 1st this year the Roads authority have started an integrated system with the passports authority. When you walk through customs, your passport is scanned and you will be asked to pay any outstanding speeding fines (by cash or credit card) - otherwise you will not be able to go through customs...

Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

The car hire company will often pay the fine and then whack you for it. I got a parking fine in the US a couple of years ago and forgot to pay it before I left. Sure enough it got charged to my card plus a fee from the car hire company.

Did you rent the car under a UK Licence ? If you then come to the attention of the coppers for any reason in the UK when driving then it could become interesting....
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
The car hire company will often pay the fine and then whack you for it. I got a parking fine in the US a couple of years ago and forgot to pay it before I left. Sure enough it got charged to my card plus a fee from the car hire company.

Did you rent the car under a UK Licence ? If you then come to the attention of the coppers for any reason in the UK when driving then it could become interesting....
Car hire companies will pay parking fines for you (and kindly charge admin fees on top). For speeding fines they'll usually just pass the notice on to the hirer (or pass the hirer's details to the relevant authority) as the offence relates to the driver not to the car.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Just curious - but do you think you could get out of the 20 pound charge by the car hire company? Tell them to justify how it cost them 20 pounds to forward the letter on to you?
That happened 4 years ago, so no point in querying it with them now. I thought it was outrageous. The problem is once they have your credit card details it seems they can just deduct money without asking. I wonder if there is a way to stop them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.