Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...

Wikiposts

This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...

Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
I can see fraser's point. If you take a global view on it the UK is a good place to bring up your child. It only lags among the group of most wealthy nations in the world.

If you have a good or average income in the UK then there isn't anything in it. It's only when you are in the lowest sections of society where it's a significant problem in the UK. And to be honest it doesn't affect most of us here since most of us who are in a position to emigrate are for the most part well educated and reasonably well off.

I'm very happy in Australia but if for some reason we had to return to the UK I wouldn't be overly concerned. I'd make sure we lived in a reasonable area, my child went to a reasonable school etc the same as I would over here.
i'm not concerned about my own kids falling into the delinquency trap, just about the impact of others on them
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
i'm not concerned about my own kids falling into the delinquency trap, just about the impact of others on them
But there are problem kids in Australia just as anywhere else!
There are drug issues as well, they can get pregnant etc etc.
Kids have to learn as they grow. My parents couldn't shield me from growing up it's part of life! My kids are doing very well and so far know the difference between wrong and right, parental influence is a major factor in rasing kids, not how much cash you have or where you live!
If kids are going to go and look for trouble unless you move to a deserted Island they'll find it, you just have to hope you've equipped them to make the right choices
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:07 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Kids have to learn as they grow. My parents couldn't shield me from growing up it's part of life! My kids are doing very well and so far know the difference between wrong and right, parental influence is a major factor in rasing kids, not how much cash you have or where you live!
If kids are going to go and look for trouble unless you move to a deserted Island they'll find it, you just have to hope you've equipped them to make the right choices
Hit the nail on the head. K sent.

ZX.....
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
There are two issues here. The first is your own parenting.

Whilst you can't shield your kids from everything, with some exceptions there is most definitely a relationship between what bevaiours you exhibit as a parent and how your kids turn out - and in turn how they affect others.

Obvously this is all age-related but what about those parents who:

Let their kids go on the internet completely unsupervised with no controls installed.
Let their kids watch TV/play computer games until very late at night depriving them of sleep.
Allow their kids to swear.
Encourage them to drink or smoke at an early age.
Do not instill any kind of respect for elders, for authority.
Let 12 and 13 year olds hang around on street corners - with no purpose or direction.
Don't encourage a desire for betterment.
Feed them soft drinks morning, noon and night.
Never read to them.
Never listen to them.

The list goes on and on.

You can predict what type of teenagers these parents will produce.

And I think you're right, these kids exist everywhere.

But...point number 2..

As I said in an earlier post, in Australia we seem to be out of the influences of the above types of kids more than we were in the UK. I can't really explain it - maybe it was just our local circumstances. In England, my kids would have gone to the local comprehensive where the behaviour of the kids was generally shocking. We couldn't afford to send them anywhere else.

I have a big thing about sport and outdoor activities - even though I'm pretty useless at most things myself. I'm convinced that the outdoors active lifestyle of Australia - certainly where we are in Perth - removes a lot of the aggression from teenagers and gives them a focus and direction. This is a key factor in us seeing less delinquency here than elsewhere.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Australia didnt provide enough info to be ranked in certain areas, I only read up to page 30 but those areas were ....

1. Child well being - things like children who lack basics, nutrition .......

2. Behaviours and risks - things like violence and substance abuse.......

3. Family breakdown - things like drink, drugs, violence, teenage sex ......

So the countries that scored poorly did so simply because they bothered to submit not only the good stats but the bad ones as well.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:37 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Australia didnt provide enough info to be ranked in certain areas, I only read up to page 30 but those areas were ....

So the countries that scored poorly did so simply because they bothered to submit not only the good stats but the bad ones as well.
Oh FFS UK this Australia this.....Blah,blah,blah...Can't you all just let it go!!!!

ZX......
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Oh FFS UK this Australia this.....Blah,blah,blah...Can't you all just let it go!!!!

ZX......
lol, i agree with you though, bollocks to what the stats say, live your life your way, not what the papers say
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

ZX......

If youve lost interest in the thread you dont have to continue reading it.

Or we could just do another thread with the the UK and USA etc not submitting the bad bits and OZ having a go at submitting ALL of the criteria
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

You seem to be assuming that the stats that were not provided were all bad. Australia wasn't the only country that didn't provide all the information needed Japan, NZ, Slovenia, Mexico were some of the others and I doubt that everyone was involved in a secret plot to make themselves appear better

Anyway I agree with the others. What does it matter anyway where each country is ranked? Wherever you are happy is what counts and statistics only tell us so much and people can never quantify subjective factors such as a desire for adventure or closeness to family or being "home".
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:01 pm
Breast Inspector

If youve lost interest in the thread you dont have to continue reading it.

Or we could just do another thread with the the UK and USA etc not submitting the bad bits and OZ having a go at submitting ALL of the criteria
Yeah what ever, lifes to short for tit for tat. Go and have a look in childrens hospital ward. Then you may realise then how good you've got it.

ZX.....
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah what ever, lifes to short for tit for tat. Go and have a look in childrens hospital ward. Then you may realise then how good you've got it.

ZX.....
Thanks for the suggestion but do our bit there already!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:10 pm
Breast Inspector

Thanks for the suggestion but do our bit there already!
Good for you then.....

ZX......
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
You seem to be assuming that the stats that were not provided were all bad. Australia wasn't the only country that didn't provide all the information needed Japan, NZ, Slovenia, Mexico were some of the others and I doubt that everyone was involved in a secret plot to make themselves appear better

Anyway I agree with the others. What does it matter anyway where each country is ranked? Wherever you are happy is what counts and statistics only tell us so much and people can never quantify subjective factors such as a desire for adventure or closeness to family or being "home".

Hang on this thread was at the top of page one when I replied unless you two are now mods I assume it was a current thread open to reply.

If its not such a hot topic why are there at least half a dozen threads on it? suddenly people dont want to play anymore once its pointed out some pretty important info was left out by one team.

As for the info left out, having seen a bit more of aus than the lush beachy suburbs we discuss here yes I do suggest it would have affected the results.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Hang on this thread was at the top of page one when I replied unless you two are now mods I assume it was a current thread open to reply.

If its not such a hot topic why are there at least half a dozen threads on it? suddenly people dont want to play anymore once its pointed out some pretty important info was left out by one team.

As for the info left out, having seen a bit more of aus than the lush beachy suburbs we discuss here yes I do suggest it would have affected the results.
I was never a player in the UK Vs Aus debate anyway. I've been in Oz for almost 10 years and this Aus Vs UK theme (both ways) is a bit tiresome to me as an "old hand". I was hoping that this discussion would evolve into something more mature but it doesn't appear this will happen.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:21 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
The Guardian? Possibly the least 'sensationalist' newspaper on the planet?
Don't you mean "Snetstoinalsit"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.