Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...

Wikiposts

This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...

Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:57 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...

Originally Posted by renth
I has some drunken tw*t throw a rock at me as I left the Joondalup train station at about 5pm after work.
Careful or you'll get into a "my rock was bigger than your rock" arguement with Arkon

Sorry you had that experience though - I am not trying to make light of it...

Last edited by stevemich; Feb 13th 2007 at 4:03 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:58 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I has some drunken tw*t throw a rock at me as I left the Joondalup train station at about 5pm after work.
I pick the old geezer up between 5..30 and 6.15 every night and I have seen the same. He just wasn't prepared to take the gamble of someone not liking the look of him and having a go. I would rather go and pick him up.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Australia IS in the 24, not sure about comfort/comparison because UK and australia come out about the same!!

Thats the point, the medias taken the UK is crap angle, but if you look at the report australias very closly ranked to the UK.
Well dodged(!)...Maybe, but was the UK press comparing it to Australia?

("Your Honour, the question will be repeated"!)

The UK position does not have to be anywhere near Australia nor does it matter whether or not Australia is on the list - the fact is, inter alia, prima facie in polite discussions, call it what you will, 21st will irk any journo(!)

Surely the point is, why isn't the UK (OK or Australia!) higher up the list. Say in the top 10.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
Careful or you'll get into a "my rock was bigger than your rock" arguement with Arkon
rocks eh?!! Now we're talking.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Australia IS in the 24, not sure about comfort/comparison because UK and australia come out about the same!!

Thats the point, the medias taken the UK is crap angle, but if you look at the report australias very closly ranked to the UK.
Actually it isn't ranked overall because Australia didn't provide enough information. There is however inside the report itself some comparison charts in which Australia is included and it wasn't always close to the UK in all areas. There were some interesting variations particularly in education.

What I'm saying is that you've put a UK Vs Australia spin on it and the report isn't about that. While I agree that some of the UK media go overboard in negativity about the UK I also understand in this case why the UK media might be concerned because it relates to child welfare. The UK is a wealthy country and people are asking why is it that wealth does not = child health. I noticed that the USA was ranked closely to the UK as well so there is a similar pattern.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:26 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you've noticed, but the Guardian is a 'British' newspaper and the BBC (who also covered the story) is the 'British' Broadcasting Corporation. Why in the name of all that's holy would they even mention Australia? Not everyone is obsessed with drawing bleak comparisons between the two countries as you - certainly not the news editors for organisations based in the 'United' Kingdom. I mean, what sort of headline would you like, "UK BOTTOM OF WORLD RANKINGS ON WELLBEING OF CHILDREN - BUT IT'S OKAY BECAUSE AUSTRALIA IS JUST FIVE PLACES ABOVE US."

Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:33 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Facts LOL, its a 40 page complex report about 24 countries. The UK medias got a simple list that ends at 21 which just happens to make the UK the worst
But of course, because anything dat maketh da UK look bad is obviously sum sawt of uh fairwee tail, isn't it? Because da UK is like sleeping bewtee's castul where evweyfing is gweat and evweyone is always happy.

You'd rather what? They print the entire 40 page 'complex' document? Surely that wouldn't leave room for all-important TV listings?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Princess Leia

What I'm saying is that you've put a UK Vs Australia spin on it and the report isn't about that. While I agree that some of the UK media go overboard in negativity about the UK I also understand in this case why the UK media might be concerned because it relates to child welfare. The UK is a wealthy country and people are asking why is it that wealth does not = child health. I noticed that the USA was ranked closely to the UK as well so there is a similar pattern.
Wrong. I didnt put a UK V aus spin on it, read the first few posts, "it was a deciding factor for us', 'thats why we moved here comments' .........,

Its posted on the OZ forum, nobody was going to discuss how concerned they were for UK child welfare it was a pretty obviously going to turn into Aus V UK thread all along.

If we are going to discuss child health, look into the third world living conditions of many australians, wonder if thats why some questions were not answered.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:15 pm
Australia's Doorman

Right. From the full 40 page report. Here are all the charts where it's possible to directly compare Australia with the UK. Interesting to note that in the remaining tables that the UK is consistently either at the very bottom or lurking in the lower quarter.
Attached Thumbnails This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-education_15_years.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-child_deprivation.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-accidents.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-educational_presents.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-educational_wellbeing.jpg  

Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:16 pm
Australia's Doorman

More charts (... sorry ... 'sensationalism').
Attached Thumbnails This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-evening_meal.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-fulltime_education.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-health_and_safety.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-infant_mortality.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-just_talking.jpg  

Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:19 pm
Australia's Doorman

And more charts (... and sorry ... 'sensationalism').
Attached Thumbnails This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-less_than_10_books.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-low_skills.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-material_well_being.jpg  
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:19 pm
Australia's Doorman

And even more charts (... and even more sorry ... 'sensationalism').
Attached Thumbnails This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-no_employed_parent.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-relative_income_poverty.jpg   This will confirm things for a lot of migrants...-vaccinations.jpg  
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong. I didnt put a UK V aus spin on it, read the first few posts, "it was a deciding factor for us', 'thats why we moved here comments' .........,

Its posted on the OZ forum, nobody was going to discuss how concerned they were for UK child welfare it was a pretty obviously going to turn into Aus V UK thread all along.

If we are going to discuss child health, look into the third world living conditions of many australians, wonder if thats why some questions were not answered.
To be fair though, I did qualify that it was a deciding factor for us leaving the UK (not coming to Australia) As you know I've never been one to extoll the virtues of Australia unconditionally!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Not sure if you've noticed, but the Guardian is a 'British' newspaper and the BBC (who also covered the story) is the 'British' Broadcasting Corporation. Why in the name of all that's holy would they even mention Australia?

Nah the BBC never mention australia

Given the medias (note not unicefs) list on rankings has poland up above UK maybe they could do a Wanted in Warsaw show, 28 episodes dedicated to carpet layers and the incredibly cheap cabbage and vodka which of course would be a step up on your grim life in the Uk.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely parents have a much bigger effect on a child's wellbeing than the country that the children live in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.