British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Why is th eMelbourne Cup the 'race that stops a nation'? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/why-th-emelbourne-cup-race-stops-nation-638833/)

Pollyana Nov 3rd 2009 12:16 am

Re: Why is th eMelbourne Cup the 'race that stops a nation'?

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 8067268)
Nope i can still strain to poop:p

Noooooooo!!!! I don't need that kind of image of you in my mind:eek::eek::eek: Which reminds me, is the green vodka through your system yet?:rofl:

Bernieboy Nov 3rd 2009 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8067280)
Noooooooo!!!! I don't need that kind of image of you in my mind:eek::eek::eek: Which reminds me, is the green vodka through your system yet?:rofl:

Yep well and truely,i thought i was out celebrating St Pats day early:ohmy:

Pollyana Nov 3rd 2009 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 8067320)
Yep well and truely,i thought i was out celebrating St Pats day early:ohmy:

Yuck!!! Just remember never again to drink vodka mixed with green stuff.......

BadgeIsBack Nov 3rd 2009 12:27 am

Don't know about stopping a nation - more like - we in Victoria have it as a Public holiday and everyone else takes a skive anyhow. Bit unfair if you ask me, and I foiund today's event - shocking in the extreme.

It makes no difference that it is only a few minutes long, and has no jumps. (Grand National anyone). It's the token race of the year and that's all that counts. Symbolic.

merleoberon Nov 3rd 2009 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 8067177)
The cup. I was told to bring a plate when i got invited to a party for the Melly cup.
So i took an empty one to put food on:lol:

this still cracks me up - come to our house at the weekend for dinner and drinks - only bring your own food and drink with you! the first time we were every invited out we werent told to 'bring a plate' so we turned up with wine/beer and some flowers as we would back home - and everyone else turned up with tons of food of their own. it was such a cringer. also when its your birthday - you've got to supply the cake at work! madness.

Nu-Shooz Nov 3rd 2009 12:46 am

Originally Posted by merleoberon (Post 8067363)
this still cracks me up - come to our house at the weekend for dinner and drinks - only bring your own food and drink with you! the first time we were every invited out we werent told to 'bring a plate' so we turned up with wine/beer and some flowers as we would back home - and everyone else turned up with tons of food of their own. it was such a cringer. also when its your birthday - you've got to supply the cake at work! madness.

I wonder what they would say if you refused to bring anything!

The party i turned up to were all dressed up to kill. I rolled up with my shorts and tshirt on and flip flops...oops i mean 'Thongs'. Oh, and an empty plate:rofl:

BadgeIsBack Nov 3rd 2009 1:27 am

Originally Posted by merleoberon (Post 8067363)
this still cracks me up - come to our house at the weekend for dinner and drinks - only bring your own food and drink with you! the first time we were every invited out we werent told to 'bring a plate' also when its your birthday - you've got to supply the cake at work! madness.

Not in my workplaces!

The one about the plate has almost passed into Expats legend!

Sandra Nov 3rd 2009 9:32 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8067475)
Not in my workplaces!

Legend how - it is nearly every place I go on consultancy and parties where the hostess isn't from the UK and that is seven years worth.

BadgeIsBack Nov 3rd 2009 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Sandra (Post 8068651)
Legend how - it is nearly every place I go on consultancy and parties where the hostess isn't from the UK and that is seven years worth.

Legend - factual!

merleoberon Nov 3rd 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8068786)
Legend - factual!

not technically - its actually something that is very similar to an historical tale but cannot be verified.

the "bring a plate" tale is contemporary and can be verified by many ex pats therefore is more truth than legend.

BadgeIsBack Nov 3rd 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by merleoberon (Post 8068972)
not technically - its actually something that is very similar to an historical tale but cannot be verified.

the "bring a plate" tale is contemporary and can be verified by many ex pats therefore is more truth than legend.

Happy to be corrected...but ten years I was told by my seniors that my actions had passed into legend so now I am worried!!!

merleoberon Nov 3rd 2009 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8069010)
Happy to be corrected...but ten years I was told by my seniors that my actions had passed into legend so now I am worried!!!

LOL! did you take that to mean that you were "a legend?" If so, sorry to disappoint. The distinction lies on whether it is possible to competely verify your actions or not - so whilst you may not currently be a legend, you may be in 100 years time!!

BadgeIsBack Nov 3rd 2009 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by merleoberon (Post 8069063)
LOL! did you take that to mean that you were "a legend?" If so, sorry to disappoint. The distinction lies on whether it is possible to competely verify your actions or not - so whilst you may not currently be a legend, you may be in 100 years time!!

Well I'm clear on that.

I was told in complete sincerity that my actions has passed into legend. (We were conducting a review of the year). I was dismissive of my contribution and this was someone trying to put it into perspective. This was a British usage of the word, not the friendly 'he's a legend' in usage in Australia.

So I think I need to correct that person too. Unless of course, my actions had passed on though unverified means in which case it might stand after all....

Buzzy--Bee Nov 3rd 2009 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8067475)
Not in my workplaces!

mmmm I first heard it in New Zealand in 1997.

Buzzy

seang Nov 3rd 2009 10:27 pm

its like mateship ...ffs dont question it