Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why the stress in every single thread?

Why the stress in every single thread?

Old May 30th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Gemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the rough
Default Why the stress in every single thread?

Yesterday I started a thread asking a simple question about the year in which visa's are/will be allocated. This thread was then closed as someone decided to make nasty comments on it and snide answers to questions.

A previous thread I started was closed because people were being confrontational with their answers and seemingly goading people into an argument.

Other threads I read always seem to end up with someone being cocky, arrogant or making jokes at other peoples expense, be it because their English Language skills aren't as good as you or I and they make comments which maybe don't make sense or are ambiguous, or they simply don't 'like' the thing that someone has written.

I just wanted to say that this forum has been of great help to me and I hope it will continue to do so as we have only just applied to the TRA, but please can everyone just take a chill-pill and think before they press POST. Each and every person on here is in the same boat (or is lucky enough to have sailed across the seas already). We are all stressed out about our applications, and no-one shoud be made to think that their posts/threads have less worth than someone else's.

Personally, I would have liked the opertunity to THANK the people who replied to me on MY thread, but an individual ruined that for me as the thread had to be closed!!!

Please can we just think before we post?
Old May 30th 2009, 10:16 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the stress in every single thread?

Don't be daft that would be boring

Good luck with the move, don't sweat the small stuff
Old May 30th 2009, 11:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

A good post Gemnic.

Humour is one thing but a lot of the crap just boils down to childish point scoring at the expense of innocent posters.

I hate the know-it-all attitude when a question has been asked for the umpteenth time. Yes it may have been but it is still relevant to the original poster.

The forum treadmill generally works like this:

You first join and read a lot.
Then you ask a lot of questions.
Then you answer a lot of questions.
Then you answer questions selectively.
Then you socialize.

These are sometimes inter-mixed a bit but as I say it's a generalisation.

It doesn't matter where you are on the treadmill as there is a constant throughput of people to replace those before them.

The thing we should and need to remember is that "I was at that stage once."

Tolerance please.
Old May 30th 2009, 11:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gemnic
Each and every person on here is in the same boat (or is lucky enough to have sailed across the seas already).
What's lucky about it?
Old May 30th 2009, 11:57 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
What's lucky about it?
For it to be lucky, there has to be some probability of unlucky outcomes. That you lobbed on Aus proves that "it" is lucky, surely?
Old May 30th 2009, 11:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
For it to be lucky, there has to be some probability of unlucky outcomes. That you lobbed on Aus proves that "it" is lucky, surely?
I would have been 'luckier' if moving to Australia had never been an option.
Old May 30th 2009, 12:07 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

I would have been 'luckier' if moving to Australia had never been an option.
Proves that luck does not entirely pass by dear old England.
Old May 30th 2009, 12:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Proves that luck does not entirely pass by dear old England.
It will be luckier still when I return....and so will I
Old May 30th 2009, 12:21 pm
Banned

It will be luckier still when I return....and so will I
As in greater uncertainty of outcome? Why not just give yourself up?
Old May 30th 2009, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Gemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the rough

What's lucky about it?
And, the constant scarcasm......Hmmmmmmm!

There are many of us on here who WANT to go to Australia, as you obviously once wanted to yourself. Granted, it didn't work out for you but if you don't want to support others, why reply?
Old May 30th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bix
childish point scoring at the expense of innocent posters.
Indeed!

It's like they say on "Who wants to be a Millionaire", it's only easy if you know the answer. Many of the questions asked on here are asked because we don't know the answer. To then be ridiculed for asking or have scarcastic comments made, I'm sure puts many people off.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Gemnic

There are many of us on here who WANT to go to Australia, as you obviously once wanted to yourself. Granted, it didn't work out for you but if you don't want to support others, why reply?

No....I didn't really want to move here. It was to fulfill a family committment.

....and it did work out for me in the sense that I am pretty well off here....as I was in the UK.

You can not control the answers you get on an open forum.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Kinda know where you coming from, but its just the BE way.. can't say I have ever had a thread closed down on me for abuse/bad manners from people, but have been part of a few that have..

Good luck with your move.. everyone has a different experience and a different outlook.. some express it on here in one way, others do their own thing.. I have to disagree with the title.. I don't think there is stress in each titled thread.. there is often rancour and people screaming a lot, but ho hum.. this is a faceless forum (to a certain extent) so people feel the ability to express whatever they please (sometimes its a good thing, sometimes a bad)...

Anyway, I have wittered on for enough time!

Em x
Old May 30th 2009, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emelems
Kinda know where you coming from, but its just the BE way.. can't say I have ever had a thread closed down on me for abuse/bad manners from people, but have been part of a few that have..

Good luck with your move.. everyone has a different experience and a different outlook.. some express it on here in one way, others do their own thing.. I have to disagree with the title.. I don't think there is stress in each titled thread.. there is often rancour and people screaming a lot, but ho hum.. this is a faceless forum (to a certain extent) so people feel the ability to express whatever they please (sometimes its a good thing, sometimes a bad)...

Anyway, I have wittered on for enough time!

Em x
I suppose you're right Em, there are plenty of threads which run smoothly. I suppose I have just been unlucky.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

No....I didn't really want to move here. It was to fulfill a family committment.

....and it did work out for me in the sense that I am pretty well off here....as I was in the UK.

You can not control the answers you get on an open forum.
ooh! Hello Mr G! Long time no speak

Em x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.