Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

why are simple products priced like luxeries?

Wikiposts

why are simple products priced like luxeries?

Old Dec 16th 2012, 5:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why are simple products priced like luxeries?

Originally Posted by renth
I'm going to the UK tomorrow. I'm going to live like a king for 3 weeks!
The mighty AUD goes a long way when converted to GBPesos

Enjoy
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. From what I can see there are different strengths of the same product for different applications.

The Direct Wallpaper Adhesive 200g

Germany EUR 4.99 (which is the one you found)

http://www.amazon.de/Henkel-349213-HENKEL-Metylan-Kleister-direkt/dp/B0001M0GCO?tag=vig02-21

UK GBP 32.01 (The UK equivalent)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metylan-Kleister-direkt-200g-f%C3%BCr-Vliestapeten/dp/B0001M0GCO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355735555&sr=8-4

Can't find the Direct Wallpaper Adhesive version on Oz Google.

Then there is...

The Metylan Special Heavy Duty Wallpaper Adhesive 200g

The EUR 9.98 German one

http://www.amazon.de/Metylan-spezial...f=pd_sim_diy_7

The GBP 29.47 UK (which I think is the same)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metylan-Klei...5735798&sr=8-6

The $18.70 Oz one

http://www.directpaint.com.au/estore/style/metylan.aspx

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Alfresco; Dec 16th 2012 at 9:14 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Enjoy

Unless you're buying wallpaper adhesive from Amazon UK!
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Must stock up. Even though I haven't used wallpaper in 20 odd years..
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

I also buy loads of tools and find the UK uncompetitive on price - Europe and the US are the places to buy. Saying that, Axminster is a great website just for the huge selection. A top outift. Screwfix is also good but not always the highest quality tools.

For mainstream places to buy tools, Bunnings beats B&Q hands-down.

Agree about spirits - we only buy dutyfree.
Masters actually has quite a good selection of better quality tools
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alfresco
all my life we used metylan (Germany), didn't know that there is something different on the market until we helped the neighbour who never wallpapered in his life (the damaged wall in a kids room had to be covered). He brought the watery wheat stuff from Bunnings (no choice that's all what you get). The wall had previously been painted with washable acrylic paint. After a week, we can see the wallpaper is coming off at the edges. The paste went on the wall, not onto the wallpaper first.

So, if Metylan is so dear in the UK, what did you use?

I just saw it is even cheaper in the US.

Last edited by Evelin; Dec 16th 2012 at 11:24 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
Masters actually has quite a good selection of better quality tools
Cool. I've never been to Masters, will have to give them a try.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I also buy loads of tools and find the UK uncompetitive on price - Europe and the US are the places to buy. Saying that, Axminster is a great website just for the huge selection. A top outift. Screwfix is also good but not always the highest quality tools.

For mainstream places to buy tools, Bunnings beats B&Q hands-down.

Agree about spirits - we only buy dutyfree.
Cool. I've never been to Masters, will have to give them a try.

I'll have to give them a try too. Though Bunnings are often competitive on price, their stock control system is utterly deplorable. I get sick and tired of the stuff I need continually being out of stock, or on order or even worse, discontinued...

S
Old Dec 17th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

I only live 11K from my local Bunnings, but if I'm going to the store for something specific, especially advertised specials, then I always call ahead to make sure that they have stock on the floor. Their switchboard is pretty good at putting me through to the right department and I usually have a yes / no answer in a couple of minutes. Saves a wasted journey.

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'll have to give them a try too. Though Bunnings are often competitive on price, their stock control system is utterly deplorable. I get sick and tired of the stuff I need continually being out of stock, or on order or even worse, discontinued...

S
Old Dec 17th 2012, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

all my life we used metylan (Germany), didn't know that there is something different on the market until we helped the neighbour who never wallpapered in his life (the damaged wall in a kids room had to be covered). He brought the watery wheat stuff from Bunnings (no choice that's all what you get). The wall had previously been painted with washable acrylic paint. After a week, we can see the wallpaper is coming off at the edges. The paste went on the wall, not onto the wallpaper first.

So, if Metylan is so dear in the UK, what did you use?

I just saw it is even cheaper in the US.
I don't do wallpaper. I was just comparing prices for you.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 2:41 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Whereas it is just left on display over here
classic.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 7:49 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm into wallpapering at the moment. Tried to find Metylan wallpaper paste, the standard product in EU for medium heavy wallpaper. Price on Amazon in EU: 5.39 Euros.

Price in AU: $23

any reason for that? it's glue, not gold.
Retail is not competitive in Australia at all, basically. Remember, Australia is a country of 22 million people with only two major supermarkets, and they collude to keep their prices identical so they are basically one supermarket. I'm sure the same can be said for wallpaper, etc.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 7:51 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy
One day that rate is going to invert and $1 is going to buy +£1.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 7:55 am
Banned

well, that's the other thing. I usually bought only quality wallpaper back home (Rasch, Marburg) but the shop we went (SOR), the only one I could find on the net, was a bit of a surprise to say the least. I emailed them beforehand regarding a wallpaper which they have in a catalogue. The response was, that has to be ordered in and I should come and have a look at what they have in stock. I got a shock, I wouldn't have bought what they had 50 yrs ago. I just can't believe how little interest some shopowners have in the products.

When we go back we bring back tools and liquor, it's so bloody cheap back home.
Liquor is incredibly overpriced in Australia, especially good single malt. UK - £25, Australia - $100 + .
Old Dec 19th 2012, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I personally don't get wallpapering but then I'm not a pom.......
Is wallpaper making a comeback?

I knew the plain walls and the wood floors fad would have to come to an end sooner or later...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.