Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why migrate in the first place?

Wikiposts

Why migrate in the first place?

Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why migrate in the first place?

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Wow,

Thanks for all the replies the funnies are as welcome as the serious ones, I can relate to what the majority of you have said. Being a Londoner man and boy, MartinLuthers post was almost like i'd written it myself, Uncanny at times.
Not born an bred Londoner but I did live there for 17 years most of them in SE16 Bermondsey and Surrey Docks/Quays.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Why migrate in the first place?

Originally Posted by James516
I would make just one point - many people move to Australia when all they really needed to do to make themselves happier was move within the UK.
I totally agree. This is an extremely valid point and too frequently overlooked IMHO.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There are many people who have a similar relationship with their families that you mention, infact their families are even further away and believe being in Aus will not be a problem. BUT they find, after they've moved that they miss them desperately and that instead of seeing them monthly or bi-annually they can now only see them every few years and it's not worth the lifestyle/weather to be so far away.

Emotion is a funny thing and no amount of research can prepare you for the shock of people sickness.

Me, 12,000 still doesn't seem far enough
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:41 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Not born an bred Londoner but I did live there for 17 years most of them in SE16 Bermondsey and Surrey Docks/Quays.
Spooky,

The family home is in Rainham kent but I work out of a flat just off Surrey Canal Road. Spent my formative years in Brockley, or Brackley as the yout's insist on calling it, the same knobs that call Deptford... Deckford. Grrrrr, can't wait to get away from all that urban twang/ slang crap
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
In answer to your original question, "Why migrate in the first place?"

The response in my case is simple ... Why not?

You get one chance to do what you want to do in this life. I try to live everyday as if it's my last ...
Really? So every day you book an undertaker, order a coffin, cut up your credit cards, tell the boss he can stuff his job, hug the kids, and sob uncontrollably and then go to bed?

Only to be bitterly disappointed in the morning that you are still alive, and repeat the process all over again.

Bit of a crap way to live if you ask me.

JTL
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I heard of somebody who went on a reccie and decided not to make the move as they couldn't get the right type of pasta sauce... so be very careful if you are picky about your pasta sauce too.
Ditto if you are passionate about hot cross buns. Our local Bakers Delight is selling them for the scandalous price of $1.50 per bun so it's vital that you factor this in also. Could be a deal breaker for some...
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:38 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There are many people who have a similar relationship with their families that you mention, infact their families are even further away and believe being in Aus will not be a problem. BUT they find, after they've moved that they miss them desperately and that instead of seeing them monthly or bi-annually they can now only see them every few years and it's not worth the lifestyle/weather to be so far away.

Emotion is a funny thing and no amount of research can prepare you for the shock of people sickness.

Me, 12,000 still doesn't seem far enough
Or as in my case ... family members that you only used to see for a couple of weeks a year are suddenly staying with you for 3 & 6 months at a time. Out of the nearly 3 years I have lived in Aus when I add up into one lump all the visits it amounts to just under TWO years of permanent visitors.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:02 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
I would make just one point - many people move to Australia when all they really needed to do to make themselves happier was move within the UK.
That's a good point. I had also been thinking that.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:09 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamSi
Ditto if you are passionate about hot cross buns. Our local Bakers Delight is selling them for the scandalous price of $1.50 per bun so it's vital that you factor this in also. Could be a deal breaker for some...
I'd completely boycott a baker who charges prices like that. I picked up half a dozen in Tescos the other day for 25p
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paulry
I'd completely boycott a baker who charges prices like that. I picked up half a dozen in Tescos the other day for 25p
And I bet it was buy one get one free at that! Think is one of those weird random differences, everything else seems to be much the same price on average, it's just this hot cross buns thing that I've noticed. Oh well, just one of those things I guess.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 5:24 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

I agree... I think many of us (myself included) assume that those with close family ties will end up dealing with more homesickness issues than those who did not see their family too often in the UK.... but who's to say that's really the case?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
You get one chance to do what you want to do in this life. I try to live everyday as if it's my last ... I know it sounds like chronic cliché but it's so true. Why look back on life with regrets ... ?
Have to admit, I reckon people do need to use the old loaf - and doing it for the sake of it, or 'why not?' is not now a good enough reason. This country is getting on for being too hard now and it is not the cushy skive it might have been seen as 10 years ago. (The only exception is for professional adventurers, seasoned expats or hardy souls who perhaps have spent all their adult lives away from 'home', or people who want a very, very specific lifestyle and cannot get it for love or money in the UK.)

People come here and make huge mistakes. Others come here and like it, but infact, not enough, and meanwhile, the pull of the UK gets stronger and stronger.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Why migrate in the first place?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Have to admit, I reckon people do need to use the old loaf - and doing it for the sake of it, or 'why not?' is not now a good enough reason. This country is getting on for being too hard now and it is not the cushy skive it might have been seen as 10 years ago. (The only exception is for professional adventurers, seasoned expats or hardy souls who perhaps have spent all their adult lives away from 'home', or people who want a very, very specific lifestyle and cannot get it for love or money in the UK.)

People come here and make huge mistakes. Others come here and like it, but infact, not enough, and meanwhile, the pull of the UK gets stronger and stronger.
Very wise words. The current exchange rate doesn't help either.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SamSi
And I bet it was buy one get one free at that! Think is one of those weird random differences, everything else seems to be much the same price on average, it's just this hot cross buns thing that I've noticed. Oh well, just one of those things I guess.
Sorry, it was 30p a pack (not buy one get one free). OH bought some earlier.

Something which I used to enjoy in South Africa on Sunday mornings was going to the local bakery (they have them in the mini supermarkets there) and buying a dozen hot bread rolls for breakfast. .....mmmmm .....m. I'm hoping Australia is the same.

Last edited by paulry; Apr 9th 2009 at 11:49 am.