Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why exactly do people migrate.

Wikiposts

Why exactly do people migrate.

Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:38 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why exactly do people migrate.

I'm going because the UK is too much of a rat race with crazy house prices, congestion, competition for the best jobs from everyone in europe, way too much political correctness and about a million more reasons.

If i was born in 1940 instead of 1977 i'd probably of been happy here as back then there'd of been opputunities within my life time, but now there's nothing left for working class people in the UK

Australia here i come
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:05 am
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Bello;4579737]I'm going because the UK is too much of a rat race with crazy house prices, congestion, competition for the best jobs from everyone in europe, way too much political correctness and about a million more reasons.

If i was born in 1940 instead of 1977 i'd probably of been happy here as back then there'd of been opputunities within my life time, but now there's nothing left for working class people in the UK

Australia here i come [/QUOTE

What do you think is different from the above in Oz? Just out of interest?
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:24 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

I never wanted to live in Australia. Middle brother went out there in '77, was all but deported in '79 so had to come back, and he's raved about the place ever since.

Eldest bro has been in Perth since '87, has never been back to UK. Parents have been out to see him 8 or 9 times.

Whole bloody family has raved about the place for 30 years, which was enough to put me off! Sick of hearing about Australia, land of milk and bledding honey. UK may have its faults but it's still a better place to live than most of the world.

Went out for a month in '04. Both Ann and I thought Perth and the South-west of WA was fantastic, but we both knew we had holiday mode rose tints on, so we could see so many downsides to WA as well.

Wasn't until we returned to UK that we realised how much we liked the place and the people, how much it had got under our skin. When you find yourself missing some of the things you thought were crap, you realise how much effect the place has had on you.

The worst that can happen is that we blow the equity on the house.

And for some strange reason I love gum trees

Karl
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:22 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bello
I'm going because the UK is too much of a rat race with crazy house prices, congestion, competition for the best jobs from everyone in europe, way too much political correctness and about a million more reasons.

Australia here i come
Sounds like you are describing Perth there mate. A potential immigrant complaining about immigrants, hilarious.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:57 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
I never wanted to live in Australia. Middle brother went out there in '77, was all but deported in '79 so had to come back, and he's raved about the place ever since.

Eldest bro has been in Perth since '87, has never been back to UK. Parents have been out to see him 8 or 9 times.

Whole bloody family has raved about the place for 30 years, which was enough to put me off! Sick of hearing about Australia, land of milk and bledding honey. UK may have its faults but it's still a better place to live than most of the world.

Went out for a month in '04. Both Ann and I thought Perth and the South-west of WA was fantastic, but we both knew we had holiday mode rose tints on, so we could see so many downsides to WA as well.

Wasn't until we returned to UK that we realised how much we liked the place and the people, how much it had got under our skin. When you find yourself missing some of the things you thought were crap, you realise how much effect the place has had on you.

The worst that can happen is that we blow the equity on the house.

And for some strange reason I love gum trees

Karl
Sounds like you're going into it with the right attitude. My ('Don't do it!') alarm didn't sound when reading your post - which is a good thing.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:14 pm

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Sounds like you are describing Perth there mate. A potential immigrant complaining about immigrants, hilarious.
good job i hate cities then.

EDIT.

Glad it amuses you btw

Last edited by Bello; Mar 29th 2007 at 6:26 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:17 pm

[QUOTE=daisylilymum;4579839]

Australia here i come [/QUOTE

What do you think is different from the above in Oz? Just out of interest?

Cheap houses, less congestion, less people than in the uk and more potential for growth and new business, less political correctness.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:38 pm
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
Sounds like you're going into it with the right attitude. My ('Don't do it!') alarm didn't sound when reading your post - which is a good thing.
Thanks. I am also looking forward to practising donuts as well

Karl
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bello;4580906]
Originally Posted by daisylilymum

Cheap houses, less congestion, less people than in the uk and more potential for growth and new business, less political correctness.
Hmmm...depending on how you look at it - its true to an extent. Cheap only for migrants with equity.

I'd say Australia is less formal, not less PC - if it is PC its only like that on paper - in practise its not.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:40 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

good job i hate cities then.

EDIT.

Glad it amuses you btw
yep it amuses me, probably the single most thing that makes me laugh every time I see it.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I've travelled extensively (had a job that took me all over the planet) and have lived and worked in other countries. I think once you've done that, you get infected with a bug and 'home' seems very boring by comparison. On my own and as a family, I moved around a fair bit in the UK - and we did our own sea-change, moving from the city of Bath to a small semi-rural town in the Cotswolds (both dream locations for many Brits). But we really wanted to live on the coast, the north Cornish coast to be precise. However Cornwall is one of the most depressed areas of the UK with endemic unemployment, poor communications and property prices massively inflated by second-home owners and retirees. After many years of planning we ruled it out.

I already had family in Oz and had visited and lived here prior to meeting my wife. We all came out on a holiday a few years ago (previously she'd been no further than Northern France) and she and my son loved the place - the wife suggested we live here. We've fulfilled a dream of living within walking distance of the coast, have already forged a strong circle of friends and are all feeling settled and happy to be here. Personally, I like the feeling of difference that you get from being an immigrant - the same feeling that alienates a lot of other people. We've been made to feel very welcome by the Australians we've met, partially because we live in area that Sydney sea-changers are moving to - so to be honest, many of us are in the same boat - new to the area, keen to forge a new life. I gave the UK 30 years of my life and miss very little about the place - though I like to keep abreast of what's happening there and still read the UK papers online and listen to Radio 5 via t'internet when I'm doing the dishes. As a family, we don't regard ourselves as expats, but immigrants and have immersed ourselves in life here, taking up all invitations of drinks, joining clubs, getting involved in our son's school, travelling around and meeting people. Yes, the Australians are a welcoming bunch, but the bottom line is - you have to meet them halfway.
What he said. I also find it an advantage to be an immigrant - rather than a local - and have never seen myself as an expat.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

yep it amuses me, probably the single most thing that makes me laugh every time I see it.
Don't be silly NB

Immigrants are foreigners....surely everyone knows that!

G
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:45 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't be silly NB

Immigrants are foreigners....surely everyone knows that!

G
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:02 am

Although i wasn't actually complaining about immigrants, i was saying that i have to compete with everyone in europe for the best jobs, since we are part of the EU they aren't immigrants just fellow europeans doing what any sensible european should.

But anyhows i'll stop spoiling the thread with silly replies
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Although i wasn't actually complaining about immigrants, i was saying that i have to compete with everyone in europe for the best jobs, since we are part of the EU they aren't immigrants just fellow europeans doing what any sensible european should.

But anyhows i'll stop spoiling the thread with silly replies
You're entitled to your opinion Bello.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.