Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why exactly do people migrate.

Wikiposts

Why exactly do people migrate.

Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

annholly has a spectacular aura aboutannholly has a spectacular aura aboutannholly has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why exactly do people migrate.

lots of reasons. mainly that as a nurse, i am totally disillusioned and let down by the nhs. don't want to live anywhere else in uk, only way we could afford that is by moving further north. kids have eczema which flares up in cold damp weather so hope that would clear up down under.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

We migrated because we could, so we did it, just like that
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I work Tokyo office hours and there is no time difference between there and Perth. Also drawn to the prospect of a life lazing around by the swimming pool drinking beer in the sunshine, close to the ocean, where I could afford to buy a decent house (that was three years ago).

All these proved to be the wrong reasons.

It's very nice here, but it's like too much chocolate. I miss the rat race of Tokyo and the green and grayness of the UK and the miserable, genuine people (genuinely miserable people?) far more than I thought I would. Met many great Aussies but don't feel like I belong here. No family. No sense of shared history.

It's been a good lesson in knowing myself.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:20 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annholly
lots of reasons. mainly that as a nurse, i am totally disillusioned and let down by the nhs. don't want to live anywhere else in uk, only way we could afford that is by moving further north. kids have eczema which flares up in cold damp weather so hope that would clear up down under.
Nursing here can be frustrating but for different reasons. It seems behind the UK in a lot of ways but ahead in others and Nurses who were Prescribers etc. in UK are not able to do so here so at first you may feel de-skilled a little. Then if you want to stay you just go with the flow and do what you can do. It gets damp here but not cold in a UK way, husband laughing yesterday as he said 'Oh! it's supposed to be cold tonight', cold being 17 ° which would have been part of UK summer.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:42 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Simple question, but very difficult to answer, with a multitude of different answers coming from different people. It takes a hell of a lot of courage to uproot oneself and their lives, plus the dislocation from family and friends, When you look at the whole Migration issue, what is it that people are seeking. ?

After 2-1/2 years on this forum, and into my 27th year in this country, it seems to me that in reality it's just that most people need a new challenge. Fair enough, but what are they really doing, seeking a dream to realise or a reality to live.

Most people are adaptable, and will make a success of their move, wherever they go. Having said that, how many considered totally changing their lives within the UK first. IE: Moving from London, to say somewhere like the Isle of Man or the Highlands of Scotland, which in my mind, would be much like moving from London to Tasmania, only at a fraction of the cost. If you take that on board, you can see where I'm coming from, with a Move from Say Bradford to Perth, being on a similar plain to moving from Bradford to Bournemouth.

When you bear in mind the magnitude of a move like this, how many people take into consideration, what is the single biggest factor of the move, which isn't open spaces, big houses, new experiences, empty beaches... It's the Aussies themselves.... thank god they are great people.

So why are you moving and why did you move.
Fate.... seems to have dealt us this oppotunity so we are taking the chance. C x
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Insanity

Got a good, well paid job here, have a lovely house of my own (well with mortgage), drive a nice car, kids all doing well in studies BUT something is missing and life has become routine. I need a challenge and my kids are up for it so lets just hope DIAC is too
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived for a year off, tired after working hard for a while and needing a break from London and the continent. Had the holiday I needed, but also worked in a real suburban setting.

I was so impressed with what I saw and the opportunities, the UK did seem to pale in comparison so I decided to return for good. Another biggy was the realistic expectation of 'country' living.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:23 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Cos I want an adventure

Kim
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
In a sentance ...

We did because we could.

If it don't work out, so be it. Nothing ventured ... nothing gained.

Put it down to experience.

Fantastic answer and attitude, hope most would be migrants take notice of your reply.

And Mrsperthfor me LOL
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by daunted
Insanity

Got a good, well paid job here, have a lovely house of my own (well with mortgage), drive a nice car, kids all doing well in studies BUT something is missing and life has become routine. I need a challenge and my kids are up for it so lets just hope DIAC is too
We were in exactly that position. Everything was very comfortable so no challenge and no thrill. I think it's because everything has been done before, no new places to go and you know all your friends and talk about the same old crap. Here there are lots of new places to go and lots of new people to meet although you still do the nice house nice car sh*t havent' got any money left to do all the nice things bit... .
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

knoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really nice

Originally Posted by annqldau
We were in exactly that position. Everything was very comfortable so no challenge and no thrill. I think it's because everything has been done before, no new places to go and you know all your friends and talk about the same old crap. Here there are lots of new places to go and lots of new people to meet although you still do the nice house nice car sh*t havent' got any money left to do all the nice things bit... .
Same position as daunted maybe we got it to easily but are willing to take the risk and see another part of the world.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by knoydart
Same position as daunted maybe we got it to easily but are willing to take the risk and see another part of the world.
Well so far it's been worth it. Have had family here on and off visiting so when you compress the odd hours you would have seen them in UK it works out nearly the same any way.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:16 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

1. Adventure
2. Make new friends
3. Better weather
4. Hopefully lower mortgage for similar sized house
5. Why not?
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:30 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Simple question, but very difficult to answer, with a multitude of different answers coming from different people. It takes a hell of a lot of courage to uproot oneself and their lives, plus the dislocation from family and friends, When you look at the whole Migration issue, what is it that people are seeking. ?

After 2-1/2 years on this forum, and into my 27th year in this country, it seems to me that in reality it's just that most people need a new challenge. Fair enough, but what are they really doing, seeking a dream to realise or a reality to live.

Most people are adaptable, and will make a success of their move, wherever they go. Having said that, how many considered totally changing their lives within the UK first. IE: Moving from London, to say somewhere like the Isle of Man or the Highlands of Scotland, which in my mind, would be much like moving from London to Tasmania, only at a fraction of the cost. If you take that on board, you can see where I'm coming from, with a Move from Say Bradford to Perth, being on a similar plain to moving from Bradford to Bournemouth.

When you bear in mind the magnitude of a move like this, how many people take into consideration, what is the single biggest factor of the move, which isn't open spaces, big houses, new experiences, empty beaches... It's the Aussies themselves.... thank god they are great people.

So why are you moving and why did you move.
what a fantastic post...

i want to start a whole new life,,weird i know,but i do,,
does that mean i am unhappy with my life now?i must be must'nt i.
does that mean we all are?we can't be can we?
what does oz offer me that anywhere else dose'nt?i dont know..

do you know something,i honestly dont know why i am going..i just want to,,

am i still going?yes

why?i dont know...

weird......

Last edited by aston man; Mar 29th 2007 at 7:40 am.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all

The reason we are going is because we need a new challenge and a better work/life balance, having worked for many years trying to progress in careers, only to reach stalemate. The old "Golden Handcufs" at work have meant that we are paid a decent wage for our job, and we couldn't get this wage, but would still need it to pay a mortgage on a house outside London.
So we are taking the money we have made through various house moves to start again, and we hope to give the children a better well rounded education, along with more life outside work and school together as a family, rather than only on a Sunday!

We remain ever hopeful, and even if we come back with our tail between our legs and no money(!), we will know that we tried our best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.