Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why exactly do people migrate.

Wikiposts

Why exactly do people migrate.

Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:47 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why exactly do people migrate.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I married an Aussie - instead of selling me the dream of the Aussie lifestyle, he sold me the dream of married life......
Aww thats so sweet
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why exactly do people migrate.

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
when I went to pubs in England other than my local, I'd try to strike up conversations with people and most of the Brits would be polite for a minute or 2 and then move back to their groups. However, any Aussies, Kiwi's or Americans would happily chat for ages.
What Shakmaty said.

Hence I ended up married to a Kiwi.

Buzzy
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

I've always wanted to live somewhere else other than uk. And now we have children we fell we want to make a better life in aus hopefully with better prospecs and better way of life etc.
and also what most of you guy say too.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:20 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Our reasons for moving - kinda boil down to me having itchy feet. In the UK, we lived in Sheffield, Newcastle upon Tyne and Oxford. I think we moved house about ten times in twelve years. So we had tried the 'move from one end of the country to the other and start again' thing. Then we thought we'd try the 'move from one end of the planet to the other and start again' thing instead. Seems to have worked out OK. But still not sorted out my itchy feet.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

several reasons for us

One was we were fed up with how life was in the UK, we both worked long hours, didnt have a particularly huge mortgage (£50K) yet once that and bills were paid we didnt have a great deal left to have a life. Plus other general stuff in the UK (we made up our own minds, it wasnt driven by the media!)

OH spent a year backpacking in 96-97 and loved Aus and I'd always had a "thing" about living here for some reason.

We didnt have kids so just thought why not, it's now or never really.

I had already lived in many places in the UK (Scotland, Lincoln, Somerset) and TBH wasnt really that interested in moving somewhere else - if we hadnt got our visas our ideal would have been a move to Devon or Somerset but I doubt we'd have been able to do it due to cost of house prices that way.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:46 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Felt like a rat in a cage in the UK. Shit weather.

Terrible place to live, unless you are a millionaire and can afford to take lots of foreign holidays to sunny places.

Hated it....
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:49 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth

Terrible place to live, unless you are a millionaire and can afford to take lots of foreign holidays to sunny places.

Hated it....
The reason I'm moving to Australia is because my wife who is Australian wants to go back and be closer to her mother and also we are fed up with all the PC stuff in England, I know there might be some stuff like that in Australia but can't be as bad as UK. Who also get s**t on by Europe for what we can do!!!
Looking forward to starting my new life in Australia in December.
Gary and Vikky
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:42 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Hated it....
For god's sake - stop beating around the bush. :curse:

Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
The reason I'm moving to Australia is because my wife who is Australian wants to go back and be closer to her mother and also we are fed up with all the PC stuff in England, I know there might be some stuff like that in Australia but can't be as bad as UK. Who also get s**t on by Europe for what we can do!!!
Looking forward to starting my new life in Australia in December.
Gary and Vikky
There are a lot of PCs here, sorry to burst your bubble ... good job too, 'cos it's my job to programme and fix 'em
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:58 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Another one who is married to an Aussie we gave good old Nottingham a couple of years and now are giving Brisbane the same while I get citizenship. We will then sit down and decide where is best for us and take it from there.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Better weather and more space (but not miles away from a major city).

Found both plus a whole lot more.

There were a few more reasons: some pull, some push.
Probably the most controversial one was tax: I worked out that after IHT the UK government would have taken about 70% of the money that I'd earned.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 25th 2007 at 4:15 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:07 pm
still perthforme

mrsperthforme has a reputation beyond reputemrsperthforme has a reputation beyond reputemrsperthforme has a reputation beyond reputemrsperthforme has a reputation beyond reputemrsperthforme has a reputation beyond reputemrsperthforme has a reputation beyond reputemrsperthforme has a reputation beyond reputemrsperthforme has a reputation beyond reputemrsperthforme has a reputation beyond reputemrsperthforme has a reputation beyond reputemrsperthforme has a reputation beyond repute

My parents dont live in Oz
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
IE: Moving from London, to say somewhere like the Isle of Man which in my mind, would be much like moving from London to Tasmania, only at a fraction of the cost.
Don't you go around trying to swell my home country's population ...

I want it to remain unspoilt until I retire ...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsperthforme
My parents dont live in Oz
Ditto. Or more precisely, my mother
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

In a sentance ...

We did because we could.

If it don't work out, so be it. Nothing ventured ... nothing gained.

Put it down to experience.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Simple question, but very difficult to answer, with a multitude of different answers coming from different people. It takes a hell of a lot of courage to uproot oneself and their lives, plus the dislocation from family and friends, When you look at the whole Migration issue, what is it that people are seeking. ?

After 2-1/2 years on this forum, and into my 27th year in this country, it seems to me that in reality it's just that most people need a new challenge. Fair enough, but what are they really doing, seeking a dream to realise or a reality to live.

Most people are adaptable, and will make a success of their move, wherever they go. Having said that, how many considered totally changing their lives within the UK first. IE: Moving from London, to say somewhere like the Isle of Man or the Highlands of Scotland, which in my mind, would be much like moving from London to Tasmania, only at a fraction of the cost. If you take that on board, you can see where I'm coming from, with a Move from Say Bradford to Perth, being on a similar plain to moving from Bradford to Bournemouth.

When you bear in mind the magnitude of a move like this, how many people take into consideration, what is the single biggest factor of the move, which isn't open spaces, big houses, new experiences, empty beaches... It's the Aussies themselves.... thank god they are great people.

So why are you moving and why did you move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.