Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do you post? (or not?)

Why do you post? (or not?)

Old Dec 22nd 2015, 10:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do you post? (or not?)

Saw this in another forum, started by a newbie, but it seems a reasonable question - why do you post?

And for those only driving by these days - why aren't you posting?

Myself - I had lots of help and advice from the forum, and made a few friends in the process, so try and help out. I know I've been quieter of late - work has been busy and I had a problem with my eyes for a while which (touch wood) is okay at the moment so hopefully will be around a bit more.

Anyone else?
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 12:14 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you post? (or not?)

My posting has tailed off because I have been going through a general retrospection of my life and external sources of entertainment/education haven't been my focus.

I have also recently bought a red sports car (Mark 1 mint MX-5, it is awesome), so yes, it's a confirmed mid-life crisis.

I do need to write though so haven't given up on terrorising the forums (forii?) in the future.

Hell, I got a shag from a hot girl due to my internet wordsmithery so it's a career path that should not be discounted.

And no, it wasn't Polly. Although she IS hot.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 1:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
My posting has tailed off because I have been going through a general retrospection of my life and external sources of entertainment/education haven't been my focus.

I have also recently bought a red sports car (Mark 1 mint MX-5, it is awesome), so yes, it's a confirmed mid-life crisis.

I do need to write though so haven't given up on terrorising the forums (forii?) in the future.

Hell, I got a shag from a hot girl due to my internet wordsmithery so it's a career path that should not be discounted.

And the winner of the 2015 Should have gone to Specsavers Poll is.....
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 1:21 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Saw this in another forum, started by a newbie, but it seems a reasonable question - why do you post?

Myself - I had lots of help and advice from the forum, and made a few friends in the process, so try and help out. I know I've been quieter of late - work has been busy and I had a problem with my eyes for a while which (touch wood) is okay at the moment so hopefully will be around a bit more.

Anyone else?
Same for me in that the forum has kept me going through many a dark hour both before and since I emigrated, and has answered so many serious and not so serious questions, so I feel i want to give something back. I also want to pass on to newbies 17 years worth of accumulated info about Australia, which may or may not help them decide to move.

Almost every friend I have in Australia came through BE, one way or another, also some who are spread across the world, and back home in the UK. Its a way of keeping in touch with some of them, in a more anonymous way than one can on 'flopbook.'

I have the time, no family screaming for attention - and I have a job which involves constant situational awareness and monitoring of social media
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I post because BE has become a part of my life like cleaning my teeth and eating. I routinely check it daily - there have been some stretches where I haven't logged on for weeks and I miss what's going on (not that much has been going on lately).

I joined in 2008 while in Perth before moving to Dubai. I thought that BE would be a good source of information about my move to the UAE but soon discovered they're a different breed in the Sandpit and useful information was replaced by my Thursday night drunken entertainment. I met some friends through BE and one of the families I met in Dubai now lives in Brisbane too and we're still very good mates.

Just like Vim and Polly (and a number of other posters) my life has had a lot of ups and downs over the seven and a half years I've been a member and BE has been a welcome distraction and surprisingly an avenue to meeting new friends here in Brisbane.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

So are you coming to New Years Drinks this year?
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 7:44 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

Anyone else?
Like others, for information and to give info when needed. Some threads would be like having a chat. Have made some lovely friends and met some great peoples through BE.

I have a look in most days, but rarely post as there doesn't seem much going on any more. I only venture into the Aus forums as that is the one that is relevant to me. Some threads look like they could be interesting, but often turns out to be the usual suspects and I hate it when threads turn into a slanging match, so I stay away.

I also don't have much info/advice to give because luckily, no-one wants to move to Adelaide
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 9:18 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

It is a shame when some threads turn sour - I think it scares away the few newbies that have been popping by.

I have a wander around a few forums when it's quiet - if no-one has been in the lounge, Nuteks funny picture thread is definitely worth a look. There's always something to make you smile
Old Dec 24th 2015, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I originally posted mostly to get help about moving to Oz etc... which was invaluable.

Now mostly to help others travelling along the same road. There aren't that many nowadays though, sadly.

Apart from that, to keep up and see how everyone is still doing having made the move.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 11:54 am

There's definitely been fewer newbies passing through - and not many that hang around either which is sad

Who was new for 2015?
Old Dec 24th 2015, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's a relaxation tool for me.... not sure how that has come about... but when I'm browsing forums, I'm relaxing. Bit like doing a crossword, reading a newspaper or book.

It's a bit of engrained habit now... because before forums I was (M)Irc'ing and that goes back to 96.

Forums are a fantastic medium when something major happens in the world... and you want to gain as true a view of what is happening without the mass media putting their slant on it.

As for the fewer Newbies hanging around.... OS... I reckon it's a generational change personally... The forums are now taking a slightly backward step all around.

We are basically into almost 3rd generation T'net now as far as kids going through school with it are concerned.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 1:54 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And the winner of the 2015 Should have gone to Specsavers Poll is.....

Originally Posted by Kim67
So are you coming to New Years Drinks this year?
Where and when? Sorry, been out of loop.

I've skipped all non-essential social stuff this festive year to be honest but I could just go nuts and break cover
Old Dec 24th 2015, 2:02 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's a relaxation tool for me.... not sure how that has come about... but when I'm browsing forums, I'm relaxing. Bit like doing a crossword, reading a newspaper or book.

It's a bit of engrained habit now... because before forums I was (M)Irc'ing and that goes back to 96.

Forums are a fantastic medium when something major happens in the world... and you want to gain as true a view of what is happening without the mass media putting their slant on it.

As for the fewer Newbies hanging around.... OS... I reckon it's a generational change personally... The forums are now taking a slightly backward step all around.

We are basically into almost 3rd generation T'net now as far as kids going through school with it are concerned.
That's a good observation, yes, a forum is very old school.

I date back to bulletin boards but when I started on BE (before DeadVim) it was pretty fresh and current content. Now the pace is much faster and people expect a response in a nanosecond.

I guess it's a trade-off from lasting connections to immediate feedback.

Or summinck.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Fora.

See, that's the kind of pedantic bullshit that has been driving the newbies away, probably.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 6:03 pm
Home and Happy

Where and when? Sorry, been out of loop.

I've skipped all non-essential social stuff this festive year to be honest but I could just go nuts and break cover
Same place as ever, Pig n Whistle on Riverside, New Years Day, lunchtime onwards

love n Christmas kisses from the Hot Witch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.