Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do people get so defensive when the UK get's slagged off?

Why do people get so defensive when the UK get's slagged off?

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do people get so defensive when the UK get's slagged off?

Originally Posted by quoll
Space we have plenty of - except the modern blocks are really small these days and the houses are big on them. New things to see and experience, check. Better future for the kids - I think the jury is out on that one. Nicer lifestyle? Different certainly but be prepared for only 20 days annual leave and, in Canberra, long working hours. However we have been in drought for 7 years so rain isnt usually a problem.

It certainly would be much easier if you hated where you were in UK.
You forgot to mention the water skiing on Lake George
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
and the proximity for Snow Skiing in the winter...

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
It's not my main reason for emigrating. The main reasons are to secure a better future for the kids, to have more space, a nicer lifestyle, and to experience new things.

'Just having one of those "" moments, that's all.
Please don't take this as me having a go,but why do you think your kids will have a "better"future"?Education ?Opportunities later on ?Playing outside?Tha one has always baffled me!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merleoberon
i really understand where you are coming from as we all just want what is best for our kids, whatever "best" might be. but i also agree with those who have said that the type of things you perhaps wish to protect your children from are in australia too - drugs, terrorists, hooligans, disease etc etc.

On the news this morning the bus drivers union are calling for armed guards - yes thats right - armed guards for some of the more "dangerous" bus routes and that is in Perth!! this is because of a recent spate of horrific attacks on bus drivers. the emergency services have also been getting bricks etc chucked at them on call outs. there has been trouble with gangs too in some of perths 'respectable' northern suburbs.

also on the news this morning, the biggest ever planned terrorist attack in australia (allegedly) foiled by the cops - so you cannot escape bad things by coming to oz and it will not stop you worrying about your children if you do so - we are programmed to do that no matter where we live!

overall i would say there is less obvious crime because of the smaller population but your chances of being a victim remain the same. lets face it, when people visit they generally go to all the nicest areas and the touristy bits and perth is on the surface a very pretty city. but it is not as cheap here as it used to be so if you cannot afford a better area closer to home, you may not be able to afford it here either - IF that is the case, then it may not be worth leaving your F+F for - but then again it might if you dont have special people around you. and after having a few run ins on the train in recent weeks (and this was about 330 in the afternoon) i would rather the folk from shameless than in a street populated with our aboriginal friends.
So true!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Well we want to emigrate so my husband can stop doing 60-70hr weeks at work, who knew that many people would want their hair cutting?! and we know that he won't make the money that he does here but it's not all about money he'd rather be able to see our kids for more than half hour a day than have loadsa cash. And yes we want more of the 'outdoor lifestyle' that many go for - there's nothing wrong with wanting your kids to be able to play outside especially when you have a busy road on one side of your house and a soggy garden on the other.

I don't for one minute think there's no crime/drugs/nobheads in Oz but as long as I'm not living in the middle of them I don't care. And no we wouldn't move to another place in the UK. We've got our visa and we intend to use it!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:57 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Well we want to emigrate so my husband can stop doing 60-70hr weeks at work, who knew that many people would want their hair cutting?! and we know that he won't make the money that he does here but it's not all about money he'd rather be able to see our kids for more than half hour a day than have loadsa cash. And yes we want more of the 'outdoor lifestyle' that many go for - there's nothing wrong with wanting your kids to be able to play outside especially when you have a busy road on one side of your house and a soggy garden on the other.

I don't for one minute think there's no crime/drugs/nobheads in Oz but as long as I'm not living in the middle of them I don't care. And no we wouldn't move to another place in the UK. We've got our visa and we intend to use it!
I totally understand your desires.

But for some of us the move meant more work hours not less and we had to give up our lifestyle to work for less here because of other influences. I did not know all that before I came, not be cause of lack of research but because there are many things that cannot be found on a website or even after a visit. This made me very unhappy for a few years at the start and I am still not settled here in Aus - mainly because I know see life as a set of changing opportunities and I want to be out grabbing the next one!

I get miffed when people slag off the UK in a general way because I do not see major differences between the two countries just a set of personal experiences.

I wish you well in your move and hope you enjoy every second of it.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
LOL, windpowered waterskiing these days!!! - well it would be if there were any water within cooeee
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Please don't take this as me having a go,but why do you think your kids will have a "better"future"?Education ?Opportunities later on ?Playing outside?Tha one has always baffled me!
Yup has me perplexed too!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup has me perplexed too!
Life's definitely no better, or worse for my girls here. The only improvement I can see is that the friends they had in the UK 'appear' to have gone down the 'slutty' route whilst the ones they have here 'appear' to have higher morals (at the moment). Not better because it's Aus though. Yes they're out and about more but they would have done that in the UK as they reached these ages anyway.