Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do people get so defensive when the UK get's slagged off?

Why do people get so defensive when the UK get's slagged off?

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:32 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do people get so defensive when the UK get's slagged off?

Originally Posted by paulry
The message that I'm getting is the social problems in Australia are just as dire as in the UK. It's making me wonder if the risks associated with uprooting and moving to the other side of the world are worth taking.
The social problems are the same, but the UK has more people with those problems and they are more concentrated, but that's simply because of population pressures.
I think its probably a bit easier to find, and a bit cheaper to live in, a 'good' area in Oz than it is in the UK.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:36 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The social problems are the same, but the UK has more people with those problems and they are more concentrated, but that's simply because of population pressures.
I think its probably a bit easier to find, and a bit cheaper to live in, a 'good' area in Oz than it is in the UK.
I think this sums it up well.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:47 am
ABCDiamond

It's not my main reason for emigrating. The main reasons are to secure a better future for the kids, to have more space, a nicer lifestyle, and to experience new things.

'Just having one of those "" moments, that's all.
I think the answer to that will depend on what/where you are moving from and what/where you are moving to.

From any good area in the UK to Inala, Brisbane, and it is a massive mistake

But from a damp and dreary old terraced house in a crowded area to a nice quiet bayside suburb somewhere... well.. I've noticed a positive difference

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:51 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Originally Posted by kporte
I think this sums it up well.
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think the answer to that will depend on what/where you are moving from and what/where you are moving to.

But from a damp and dreary old terraced house in a crowded area to a nice quiet bayside suburb somewhere... well.. I've noticed a positive difference
Thanks guys. We're headed to Canberra and all those who my OH and I have communicated with who live there have been very upbeat. But sometimes I think that it would be easier if we "hated" living in the UK.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:53 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

On the flipside, if you moved from a really bad area in the UK, Inala would seem like Mayfair.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:59 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
I'm probably one of those people but to be fair I do live on a council estate in Manchester so if you're a shameless fan it's kind of the same as living on chatsworth estate. But it's not just that though - I'm really sick of walking to school with my daughter and saying 'watch where you're walking' about 15 times on the way because there's dog crap everywhere, and sick of seeing junkies and alkies everyday, not having anywhere decent for the kids to play and if there is a park is been vandalised. I could go on but I won't!

When we went to Perth there were lots of parks, they were clean and my daughter would walk back to the house barefoot because the pavements were spotless and when we got home she didn't understand why she couldn't do that here. It's small things but they make a big difference.
yeah, but you're not comparing apples with apples. Comparing Perth to Chatsworth is not a fair comparison. It's like someone in Aus living in Inala, QLD and going over to Devon on a holiday and saying what a sh!thole Australia is.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:01 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see anything to alarm me here tbh. I didn't see anything in Edinburgh either but I knew it existed. If this is a main reason for emigrating, you may be disappointed.
I believe it is much easier to make a good life here if you didn't "hate" the UK when you left, primarily because a lot of the things you whinged about there, will be here too!
Here here
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:20 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not my main reason for emigrating. The main reasons are to secure a better future for the kids, to have more space, a nicer lifestyle, and to experience new things.

'Just having one of those "" moments, that's all.
Stop yer whinging and get yer arse over,you'll love it
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
yeah, but you're not comparing apples with apples. Comparing Perth to Chatsworth is not a fair comparison. It's like someone in Aus living in Inala, QLD and going over to Devon on a holiday and saying what a sh!thole Australia is.
Ah but if you are moving from Chatsworth to Perth, then it is a fair comparison, as long as they say Chatsworth, not all of UK, and Perth, not all of Australia

But I agree that it is very difficult for many people to compare apples with whatever else... until they can truly compare.

A simple Aus v UK comparison is totally unrealistic, from either side, as both countries have good and bad areas.

A comparison of the best area of both countries, or the worst of both, would be interesting, but only relevant to the person moving between the two specific areas.

I recall a few years ago, the biggest local complaint was about rubbish left in the street, people leaving coke bottles around etc.
But in another suburb, I was advised not to let my daughter in the local playground, as all the locals knew not to use it due to the needles left in the sand, and it was accepted as such.

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:42 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Stop yer whinging and get yer arse over,you'll love it
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:33 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

On the flipside, if you moved from a really bad area in the UK, Inala would seem like Mayfair.

heh heh. And richlands would be Park lane.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Generally because most of the things said are exaggerated or just plain wrong.

Agreed.

I guess a better question would be, why do people feel the need to slag off either the UK or Australia?
Because they feel the need to justify to strangers why they are leaving or hoping to leave said country. Kind of bizarre when you think about it.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Because its the place of their birth and it took them so long to realise it was crap, therefore feel the need to defend the indefensible.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
I'm probably one of those people but to be fair I do live on a council estate in Manchester so if you're a shameless fan it's kind of the same as living on chatsworth estate. But it's not just that though - I'm really sick of walking to school with my daughter and saying 'watch where you're walking' about 15 times on the way because there's dog crap everywhere, and sick of seeing junkies and alkies everyday, not having anywhere decent for the kids to play and if there is a park is been vandalised. I could go on but I won't!

When we went to Perth there were lots of parks, they were clean and my daughter would walk back to the house barefoot because the pavements were spotless and when we got home she didn't understand why she couldn't do that here. It's small things but they make a big difference.
i really understand where you are coming from as we all just want what is best for our kids, whatever "best" might be. but i also agree with those who have said that the type of things you perhaps wish to protect your children from are in australia too - drugs, terrorists, hooligans, disease etc etc.

On the news this morning the bus drivers union are calling for armed guards - yes thats right - armed guards for some of the more "dangerous" bus routes and that is in Perth!! this is because of a recent spate of horrific attacks on bus drivers. the emergency services have also been getting bricks etc chucked at them on call outs. there has been trouble with gangs too in some of perths 'respectable' northern suburbs.

also on the news this morning, the biggest ever planned terrorist attack in australia (allegedly) foiled by the cops - so you cannot escape bad things by coming to oz and it will not stop you worrying about your children if you do so - we are programmed to do that no matter where we live!

overall i would say there is less obvious crime because of the smaller population but your chances of being a victim remain the same. lets face it, when people visit they generally go to all the nicest areas and the touristy bits and perth is on the surface a very pretty city. but it is not as cheap here as it used to be so if you cannot afford a better area closer to home, you may not be able to afford it here either - IF that is the case, then it may not be worth leaving your F+F for - but then again it might if you dont have special people around you. and after having a few run ins on the train in recent weeks (and this was about 330 in the afternoon) i would rather the folk from shameless than in a street populated with our aboriginal friends.

Last edited by merleoberon; Aug 3rd 2009 at 2:06 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. We're headed to Canberra and all those who my OH and I have communicated with who live there have been very upbeat. But sometimes I think that it would be easier if we "hated" living in the UK.
LOL you will probably be fine as long as you dont move to Charnwood, Narrabundah (although that is being gentrified), Richardson or Kambah (hits the bogan top 10 according to another thread!)

Space we have plenty of - except the modern blocks are really small these days and the houses are big on them. New things to see and experience, check. Better future for the kids - I think the jury is out on that one. Nicer lifestyle? Different certainly but be prepared for only 20 days annual leave and, in Canberra, long working hours. However we have been in drought for 7 years so rain isnt usually a problem.

It certainly would be much easier if you hated where you were in UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.